Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2019 4:49:24 PM EDT
I have three pounds of Goex that has been stored in my garage for the last few years. Somehow it has drawn enough moisture that it will not ignite.

I checked samples from all three cans last night and none of them would burn, I am guessing it is due to the extremely wet year we have had and humidity levels?

One of these cans was still factory sealed and not opened and even it would not work when I tried.

I know that supposedly blackpowder can be used for hundreds of years if it is kept dry, is there a way to save the powder I have or is it trash now?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Dump it in a large container, to spread it out and let it dry if possible. Test a sample to see if it will burn, if not throw it away.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure black powder can be dried out and used if it gets wet, in fact I think it's usually milled wet during production to eliminate the chance of explosions due to sparks.

Not sure how to dry it safely, though.  You'd want to make sure there's no chance of static electricity.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
This isn't GD
-FrozenWinter
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You can dry it in the sun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes- dry it in the sun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I made a hot box. Just got to be careful with it. Like others stated lay out a thin layer and let sun dry.
I mix in water when making black powder so it should be good to go once dry. I have seen a few times where you think
it is dry and it is not.  "Keep your powder dry"
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've dried it in the sun. I would also be tempted to try instant rice in pouches made of panty hose or other sheer cloth after saving my phone that way. A mason jar would be my likely vessel for this experiment.
View Quote
Don’t use nylon bags as if too cold or low humidity can be prone to static. A cotton bag if trying the rice method. Sun dried is best way to go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Way back when DuPont was making black powder, the powder was wet when being made.  When they could, they'd dry it in the sun.  When weather did not permit, they dried in in buildings with artificial heat, but the heating of the air was done outside the building where it was being dried.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
My personal opinion would be to air dry it, and wait until 4th of July or find a tree stump to use it. I was into BP when I was younger and prefer the pop bang rather than pop, fizzle, bang.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have read historical accounts of expeditions drying their powder in the sun after a period of rain or a river crossing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
What about using silica gel packets in the goex container? Or the little plastic barrels found in bottles of some meds like Bayer low dose aspirin.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snert:
What about using silica gel packets in the goex container? Or the little plastic barrels found in bottles of some meds like Bayer low dose aspirin. 
View Quote

I would think you would need a whole lot of those things to get all of the necessary moisture out of the BP.

I think the issue with the garage storage, even if the canister is tightly capped is that it is not actually sealed and airtight. As the garage heats up and cools down the can "breathes" and draws in the humid air when the temps drop. You would probably be better off storing it in the basement. Even if it is not humidity or temp controlled a basement is a relatively constant temp so the can will not see the continual heat up and cool down cycle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top