Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2018 8:16:02 PM EDT
Never really paid much attention to them, but have the opportunity to trade in to one at about a 1k valuation.  It is the original model, not the x95.  Anything I should be leery of?  Anything I should check it for?  Is that a fair valuation for a rifle that from the pics (exterior)looks perfect?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
1000$ is a decent price, maybe a little lower than retail.

I didn't like my SAR. I put 1 mag through it, and never shot it again. Ended up selling it not long after.

Gas face is real, my glasses had a bunch of shit on them after shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine, didn't get gas face until I suppressed it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI, They do make some sort of a "gas buster cover" or something like that. I never bought one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
No suppressors so no gas face with mine. 1k is a good price. Bullpups are an acquired taste though you either like them or you don’t. But for that price you could probably flip it easily if you don’t like it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my SAR used for $1400. It came with a Geissele trigger and trigger pack. I added a Manticore Arms buttpad, a Midwest Industry sealing plate, a FAB defense Bipod and a Meprolight RDS. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, They do make some sort of a "gas buster cover" or something like that. I never bought one.
View Quote
The MI port door cover + RTV sealant and some RTV sealant where the pistol sleeve meets the stock made it a non-issue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The MI port door cover + RTV sealant and some RTV sealant where the pistol sleeve meets the stock made it a non-issue.
View Quote
Same for me, mostly. If the wind is coming at me I may get a cough from it but no powder face, suppressed or non-suppressed.

OP, for a grand(all in, transfer inc.)you can't beat finding out if you're a fan or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Tavor SAR and X95 models.  On the tavor the only two things I changed were to get an MI extended hand guard and new Trigger group to cut the trigger weight in half.

The Tavor SAR are no longer being made so I would grab it if I were you.  That is a great price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavy and crap trigger.  Takes some time and practice to run it efficiently.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Even though I've spent time with my friend's Tavor and greatly prefer the AUG, for 1K - I'd say go for it, to see if you like it or bullpups in general.
If not, sell it and make a few $ or at worst, break even.

If you decide to keep it, expect to pony up $ on the trigger (likley), and spend some time adjusting to mag changes and the Tavor's height over bore.

Again, for $1K - go for it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The Tavor is an excellent design (with a heavy AK influence) that’s well made and has better ergonomics than an AR. For exampl, mag changes can be very fast with a little practice. If you’re left handed it’s one of the few rifles that’s completely convertible.

It’s hard to knock a rifle that’s simpler than an AK, is reasonably accurate*, and has well thought out modern ergonomics. The stock trigger is pretty marginal, I swapped it for Shootingsight’s excellent unit first thing.

AJ

*Mine has been a pretty solid 2MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing to be aware of it takes different bolt for right or left hand ejection.  IWI will not sell bolts to anyone who is not an IWI amorer for liabilty reasons.  If you ship your Tavor to IWI they will sell you a bolt for the opposite side, check the headspace then send the rifle back with both bolts.  Copper Custom can also sell Tavor bolts and check head space.

I really like my Tavor SAR, mine has been totally reliable and plenty accurate for it’s intended use.  The height over bore is different than AR-15 but for use around vehicles and CQB it really stands out.   I have one friend with long arms and neck and he complains about the gas but I’ve never noticed any gas to the face.

The original Tavor SAR trigger reminded me of a Glock New York trigger.  I bought a Geissele Super Sabra trigger for my Tavor.   The Super Sabra reminds me of a two stage RRA National Match trigger or a Geissele G2S trigger.

IWI said sales were higher for the X95 so they discontinued the SAR however IWI will still maintain parts and support for the Tavor SAR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I held a tavor SAR at a gun store and wanted one for a while. I found one at a good price and after I added a vertical foregrip and a red dot, its one of my favorite rifles.
Yes its a little heavy, but its totally reliable and eats all 223 ammo with my ar15 mags. Enjoy your tavor!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Love mine. The only thing I’d say is that the rail sits lower than an AR, so you may want taller optics. A lot use lower third cowitness height to approximate a cowitness height, if that makes sense. Second, the trigger is alright but heavy, it reminds me of a DA trigger. I shot it fine if I focused and took my time, but it wasn’t the best. The G trigger makes it very nice, and you’ll probably want that. If suppressing it you may want an aftermarket gas port cover, I’ve never suppressed mine so I can’t speak to that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice!
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One thing to be aware of it takes different bolt for right or left hand ejection.  IWI will not sell bolts to anyone who is not an IWI amorer for liabilty reasons.  If you ship your Tavor to IWI they will sell you a bolt for the opposite side, check the headspace then send the rifle back with both bolts.  Copper Custom can also sell Tavor bolts and check head space.
View Quote
Should add that IWI does not charge for the labor in this, just the regular price of the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
They are nice bullpups, my friend has the SAR. I just about like it better then my MSAR. I would suggest looking in to the Israel stance for shooting it. It feels super awkward, and is completely useless on any other rifle, but man dose it work with the Tavor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I owned one (Tavor SAR) and got rid of it at a substantial loss. First thing, unload the Tavor and pull the trigger. That crap trigger was the first red flag. Secondly, bring a sight, I had an EoTech, which I mounted on the top rail. That top rail is too low. I would have had to purchase a riser to be able to get a sight picture to properly use my EoTech sight. I have a Steyr Aug and was hoping that the Tavor would have been a complimentary bullpup rifle to the Aug. The Aug is a much, much better bullpup rifle ergonomically.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I owned one (Tavor SAR) and got rid of it at a substantial loss. First thing, unload the Tavor and pull the trigger. That crap trigger was the first red flag. Secondly, bring a sight, I had an EoTech, which I mounted on the top rail. That top rail is too low. I would have had to purchase a riser to be able to get a sight picture to properly use my EoTech sight. I have a Steyr Aug and was hoping that the Tavor would have been a complimentary bullpup rifle to the Aug. The Aug is a much, much better bullpup rifle ergonomically.
View Quote
For the substantial loss you had on the SAR you could've just upgraded it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
About the Tavor vs AUG, I prefer the way the AUG fits me to the Tavor, but I’d acknowledge that the Tavor is a fundamentals more soldier proof rifle. The Tavor strips down to two major subassemblies for prettty much any needed cleaning or lubrication and is designed to make it impossible to assemble a rifle from a mix of RH and LH parts.

The AUG is more flexible and has features the Tavor doesn’t, but that flexibility comes at the price of complexity.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
About the Tavor vs AUG, I prefer the way the AUG fits me to the Tavor, but I'd acknowledge that the Tavor is a fundamentals more soldier proof rifle. The Tavor strips down to two major subassemblies for prettty much any needed cleaning or lubrication and is designed to make it impossible to assemble a rifle from a mix of RH and LH parts.

The AUG is more flexible and has features the Tavor doesn't, but that flexibility comes at the price of complexity.

AJ
View Quote
In what world is the AUG complex?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]
It will never be a Steyr Aug.

I love Israel, but the Tavor and X95... meh they're cool, and I wouldn't sell it if someone gave one to me, but I don't love it enough to buy one. The Steyr Aug on the other hand...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top