Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2020 12:28:13 PM EDT
Got a build that has perfect headspace with barrel hand tight but will not close on a 5.56 go gauge once torqued.

Looks like I can get the right size stainless round shims in .1mm and .2mm, to get the right headspace once torqued.

But both the gas port and a slot for the gas block would have to be re drilled and machined to match where ever the barrel ended up clocked at.

Should I go that route or buy a chamber reamer for $105

Reamer route I wouldn’t have to do anything to the gas port or slot.

But I’ve never reamed a chamber. Pretty good chance of screwing up a barrel that is unobtainium.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use go/no go gauges on an AR15. If it fits it ships.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Do Not Shim
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't use go/no go gauges on an AR15. If it fits it ships.
View Quote

It’s an Ar70
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get all manner of shims from McMaster-Carr.

Why would you need to redrill a gas port that has been displaced a mere .004" to .008"?  

Derp - nevermind.  I read you now.

Do you have a published spec on what the headspace should be for that particular weapon?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know if it will be helpful to you but on chrome lined M14 barrels they will sometimes roll the barrel shoulder to correct timing issues. Some use a hand knurling tool or a modified pipe cutter and others just peen with a hammer. Again, not familiar with what you're working on but just thought I'd put that out there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know if it will be helpful to you but on chrome lined M14 barrels they will sometimes roll the barrel shoulder to correct timing issues. Some use a hand knurling tool or a modified pipe cutter and others just peen with a hammer. Again, not familiar with what you're working on but just thought I'd put that out there.
View Quote

I would not do this, sounds like bad practice.

I may be jaded because the one time I had someone install and AK barrel they turned it down too small and knurled it to compensate. I found out when it was jamming and I took it apart to install the correct feed ramp...

OP should buy the reamer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been thinking abou tit's hould be fine to use stainless washers. It's the least invasive solution. And cheapest. You can always cut on it later if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
To get a Mini 14 barrel to index I used a .004 brass shim.  The brass is soft enough to squeeze down and hold the barrel firm.  I had to cut the brass from some sheet stock which took some time since I could not find any to the correct dimensions.  I got this idea from a guy who has spent many years putting barrels on M1 Garands and M1A1's.  

kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top