Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2020 1:58:30 PM EDT
Looks like you can use 22 rimfire cases to make bullets. It also appears it would take some serious coin to get everything going.

I'm interested if anyone here has some experience with this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't done it, and can't comment other than to share this old thread I have bookmarked.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-224-Jacketed-Bullets-from-22LR-Brass-My-Intro-to-Bullet-Swaging/42-413772/
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't done it, and can't comment other than to share this old thread I have bookmarked.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-224-Jacketed-Bullets-from-22LR-Brass-My-Intro-to-Bullet-Swaging/42-413772/
View Quote

Something in that link has AIDS. My AVG keeps freaking out.

Also, you can also go the cast/Powder Coating route with 5.56mm/.224 projectiles. The juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze to me given the cost of projectiles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Blackmun RCBS press conversion to make 224 6-S bullets.  Well, I used to.  There are way too many good 0.224 bullets out there cheap.  

You need to be brutal on QC, and it gets boring making long runs of more than a hundred bullets at a time.  I think I bought the whole thing, including the Rockchucker ram, from Blackmun for about $100 several years ago.  I'm sure prices have gone up.

I also bought an RCBS .223 4-S die on Ebay for about $25.  It is one of the REAL originals without the Whelan suggested improvements.  There was also a 6mm and 30 cal die for sale, but my max bid was probably about $40. Some of those guys don't know what they have and can't describe it well enough.  It is a cool die, and I am on the lookout for a 0.223 Hornet rifle to accompany it.

I have a Mity-Mite press I use to make 0.288 10-s bullets for a 280 Ross.

I have one or two point forming dies for something, but haven't touched them since the early 90's.  

There are deals out there, and the old timers who were really into this stuff are kicking off.  Just talk swaging at a gun show, and guys manning the tables can clue you into who is doing what.  Just don't talk crap to avoid getting a 2x4 upside the head, figuratively speaking.

Take a look at the swaging forum on castboolits.com.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
WAY too slow making 22 cal from 22RF. Spend a whole day and make maybe 100 bullets
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like you can use 22 rimfire cases to make bullets. It also appears it would take some serious coin to get everything going.

I'm interested if anyone here has some experience with this stuff.
View Quote

Me?  Personally?

No, no experience trying to make .223 projectiles out of .22LR fired cases.

As a side note, maybe 10 years ago, I stumbled across a web forum with a name something like  “bulletsmiths.com” .

There was one poster there who had posted up pics of the process of making whatever caliber bullets he was making.

I am about 90% sure he had a Corbin hydraulic swaging machine.

He had a roll of copper strip that was maybe 2 inches wide.  The whole roll might have been 2 to 3 feet in diameter.

Again, IIRC, he had this roll positioned on an engine stand just so.  In the pic, you could see the copper strip being fed into this cube shaped hydraulic press.  In another pic taken from the other side, you could see where circular holes had been punched out.  He called it “blanking out coins”.  Those were later going to be drawn into “cups”... which later would be turned into jackets.

MAN!

For the life of me, I wish I had right clicked saved every pic posted on that forum.

About the .22 LR cases thing, from what I have read , there is lots of lube’ing involved and I am sure several times during the  process you have to wash the lube off, and I am thinking you have to put the brass in the oven either to dry it or anneal it.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
@Kuraki

Care to share your 22 case bullets?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Can also apparently make 6mm bullets, although they'd be relatively light.  It's even apparently possible to make long 6mms from 22WMR cases but I've never seen it.

If you want to get really crazy there are folks who make 30 caliber bullets out of 9mm, 380 or .32 cases. That's apparently quite an exercise.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Kuraki

Care to share your 22 case bullets?
View Quote
I never got further than rolling the rim out in a lee o- frame I converted to be pneumatic.

I was trying to make my own swaging dies and could not get a decent enough surface finish for the nose die to release well.

So I've got a pile of 22 brass and a roll of lead wire just sitting around.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top