Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 10:17:54 AM EDT
I've been using them for 223/5.56 but am wondering if I'm really benefitting.

I say this because I typically only get an average of 4-5 reloads out of once fired brass before I end up chucking that particular lot of brass.

If I trimmed .15 off ( as I typically do) and just used  a regular sizer die, would I really need to trim again after 4-5 reloads?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an X die in .223... but only because I was using a Possum Hollow Cutter chucked in a corded drill which was clamped in a vise to trim brass.

It was tedius and boring and loud.

Keeping the shorter trimmed brass from all my other brass is kind of a pain.

I have a Dillon toolheaded mounted trimmer on order.  It should be here any day.  It is going to go on my casefeeder equipped 650.

So from then on out I will just treat all my brass the same...It all gets dumped  into the casefeeder hopper and run through the resizing/trimming toolhead  and then through a second powder charging/bullet seating/crimping toolhead.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow the instructions and the X-dies work well. I've been using them in .220 Swift and .30-06 for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I use them (.223, .308 and .30-06).

I can't say they make the brass last longer as I don't really track number of loadings.

I shoot the .223's more than the other two.  At some point the shoulders crack (usually shoulder, sometimes the neck).  So far, not a single separation back near the base, as if the case was stretching.

My wife got the dies for me for Christmas one year.  I didn't start using them till I had an issue with a new AR15 build.  Had failure to chamber issues.  I had been using Lee dies for a few years with no issues, built a new carbine and had almost a 5 out of 10 failure to chamber rate.  Dug out my old Pacific .223 dies and got a slight improvement of 7 or 8 of 10 that would chamber.  Grabbed the RCBS X dies off the shelf and got a 10 out of 10 to chamber rate.  Put the Lee and Pacific dies away, pulled out the .308 and .30-06 X dies and have been using them ever since.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Even with my x dies, I used to get some that wouldn't chamber. This was before I was checking them with my Hornady Case Gauge.

The ones that wouldn't fit in the case gauge would get resized until they fit.

After that, all my loads chamber fine.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have them for .308, I prefer regular dies/trimming cases.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer regular dies/trimming cases.
View Quote
Why?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top