Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2020 10:49:34 PM EDT
I was in need of some good brass to load for my 308.    At the same time, a Rural King store opened up in my neighborhood and they had a good supply of this ammo:

So I have been buying a few boxes whenever I go because I hear the Norma brass is pretty good brass.    Now I have fired about 50 rounds (with OK accuracy) and I am in the process of reloading them.   BUT I am having an issue with priming the cases with my Lee hand primer (old one with the round tray).   It seems the primer pocket is very tight but not like it was crimped.    Has anyone tried reloading this brass?   If so, what do you think of the brass and did you have any problem priming them?
BTW, I am using the S&B large rifle primers if that matters at all.   Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Post some pics of the case heads. They might be crimped mildly and you not notice.

Try hitting them with a crimp reamer, uniformer, or swager. Run your expander/decapping pin down some so you can really feel the spent primer getting pushed out, see if they're difficult to remove.

I suppose if you're lucky they just have tight pockets and should last longer. If that's the case, and not crimped, I'd reach for the swaging tool.

What's the lot number? I have some norma .223 55gr that's a LC lot. I think they're rebranding a lot of bulk offerings these days. IIRC I had some of the tactical packaged line of 22lr which was RWS headstamped. It was good stuff, not quite up to the price they wanted verse CCI SV, but reasonable. I don't think norma would waste their time making bulk .308 either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
308?  No.  223?  Yes, lots of it.  It is very good brass.

Norma stakes their primers in the pockets so once-fired brass needs to have the primer pockets reamed prior to trying to seat a primer.  I purchased 100 new and unfired, unprimed cases last year and they did NOT have the primer pockets staked or crimped in any way.  All I did prior to reloading them was to resize them and trim them to length.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 100 cases of once fired Norma Tac 308 and the primers came out just fine with a RCBS universal decapping die. I haven't reloaded or reprimed them yet. I know that My Savage Model 12 FVL loves the factory 150Gr Norma Tac 308 ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top