Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2023 11:51:02 AM EDT
Title says it all.
They same as standard or different?

My big concern is will they be good sitting for 50 years like current lead primers
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd also be concerned about reliability and sensitivity.

I don't really see a reason to buy over normal primers unless they are on clearance and cost a lost less.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they sold as a reloading component?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they sold as a reloading component?
View Quote

American RL is now selling them $30 per 5K more than standard CCI SP primers
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought some. Haven't arrived yet but I've no doubt they'll go bang. I have an indoor range and have been wanting to switch to lead free primers for use there, just to simplify the lead monitoring / abatement tasks.

Shelf life should be good for the time frame that is relevant to my use.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
After Speer came out with NT 45 ACP with SP brass cases, I got a bunch in some once fired brass I picked up. All the NT brass had corrosion where the powder residue was. I would do some research before jumping on any fancy primer formulas.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about the current CCI lead free primers, but the early, "non-toxic" primers had much shorter shelf life than conventional primers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw that.

Unless you have an indoor range lead exposure concerns, these to me are a terrible buy.  They are more expensive than regular primers, for a risk of lowered shelf life resulting in duds.

Why?  

If they were half price, I'd take more seriously, but at same price?  No.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Have cycled thru a metric shit ton of the WinClean lead free primed ammo in my career.  Honestly - unless you are doing indoor shooting at a poorly ventilated range, I would pass on them, unless they have massively improved in quality.  Eventually they may get up to regular primer quality, but I don’t think they are there yet.

We had a fair amount of fair to fire with them, some would go on a 2nd attempt, some would not.  That actually is fine for teaching people malfunction drills and inducing real life malfunctions randomly, but that is not something I want to introduce into my reloading and practice ammo.

Zero duty ammo is made using lead free primers, so read into it what you want…(and 5.7 FN/Fiocchi isn’t carried by anyone for duty use, so don’t bring that outlier up!)

Also lead free primers are what caused small primer .45 ACP brass to be invented, so that sucks as well!

All that being said- I have a ton of 9/40/45 brass from lead free primed ammo.  Have never seen any corrosion issues as mentioned above with the Speer NT ammo, actually the WinClean brass is extremely clean to begin with after being fired.  Guessing any corrosion was a matter of a different compound being used, or it was wet tumbled and not properly dried with heat…
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a bunch of fiochi lead free and tried to look up shelf life and couldn’t find any solid info they wouldn’t last long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top