Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2018 7:06:22 PM EDT
Take down guns really need a barrel mounted sighting system. I'm wondering if a charger foreend could be modded ti take the magpul mount....
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Only one way to find out...try it out.  Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only one way to find out...try it out.  Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult.
View Quote
Supposedly it replaces the locking block, so I can't see how it wouldn't work, I mean every takedown has a locking mechanism...
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It will definitely work mechanically speaking, but I think the OP is wondering if there will be forend material in the way if trying to use the mount with a forend other than the Magpul Backpacker stock.  I know the mount will work with the Hogue overmold stock; at least a reviewer on Midway USA's site says it does.

I'm in the process of piecing together a build using the Copper Custom stock adapter, and I was planning on using the X-22 optics mount in conjunction with the stock Ruger Charger forend.  Haven't ordered anything yet, but that is the plan.  I'm sure I would need to cut away some plastic material to make the mount fit, just haven't gotten to that stage yet.

I'm sure someone has tried it successfully , they just haven't spoken about it on the Internets yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will definitely work mechanically speaking, but I think the OP is wondering if there will be forend material in the way if trying to use the mount with a forend other than the Magpul Backpacker stock.  I know the mount will work with the Hogue overmold stock; at least a reviewer on Midway USA's site says it does.

I'm in the process of piecing together a build using the Copper Custom stock adapter, and I was planning on using the X-22 optics mount in conjunction with the stock Ruger Charger forend.  Haven't ordered anything yet, but that is the plan.  I'm sure I would need to cut away some plastic material to make the mount fit, just haven't gotten to that stage yet.

I'm sure someone has tried it successfully , they just haven't spoken about it on the Internets yet.
View Quote
That is the EXACT build that I am doing and why I was asking! I have the gun built but am wanting to move the red dot to a barrel mount system. Guess I will have to order one and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you are just going to have to try it and see how it fits. Using a razor or rotary tool to take away material is pretty easy.

I won’t have a chance to try it for a few weeks, but I’ll be doing the same thing eventually.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think you are just going to have to try it and see how it fits. Using a razor or rotary tool to take away material is pretty easy.

I won’t have a chance to try it for a few weeks, but I’ll be doing the same thing eventually.
View Quote
I'll let you know!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe? Only if you’re willing to modify the fore end a whole lot to get the two pieces to fit properly. You would have to remove a lot of the fore end to get it to work. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I would also like to add that the optic mount and the backpacker stock were made for each other. Might as well take the plunge and get one while you’re at it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea but I can't  brace a backpacker like I can a charger....
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If I was going to make a rifle, I would just get the Magpul stock as well...but I am making Charger pistol with a folding brace, so the Magpul stock is a no-go.

I have to problem removing material from the forend to make it work...if I mess it up, I'll just find a replacement on eBay.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If anyone messes up theirs, I have mine collecting dust in a parts bin in my garage. PM me and we’ll work something out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to Artimus009, I have an extra set of furniture to experiment on.

The process should be fairly simple, just needs a little dremel love.  I will fully document the process so others can duplicate it.

From a cursory fitting, looks like I will need to remove about .08"-.12" of material from the inside dimensions of the hand guard so that it matches the outside dimension of the X-22 Optics mount...the hand guard ID has a slight taper.  I am thinking about simply using a 1" dowel wrapped in sand paper, but that would leave a small gap all around the rest of the handguard...it's times like this that I wish I had a mill in my garage...I could this done in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Dremel did the trick, took less than 30 minutes with the sanding drum.

OK, first thing first.  The height of the B pillars need to match the height of the A support.

Then, use the sanding drum to just take some of the sidewall out, a little at a time.
Here it is with one side done.

Once you remove the material, the wall thickness of the hand guard will end up being about about .05" (1mm).  It's more or less "by feel"...when you think you are getting close, just keep dry fitting the mount into the hand guard...sand more off accordingly.  Be careful with the dremel...you can't put material back!

About 30 minutes later....done and done.

It may not be the cleanest looking inside, but it looks perfect on the outside.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dremel did the trick, took less than 30 minutes with the sanding drum.

OK, first thing first.  The height of the B pillars need to match the height of the A support.

https://i.imgur.com/xKrPVszm.jpg

Then, use the sanding drum to just take some of the sidewall out, a little at a time.
Here it is with one side done.

https://i.imgur.com/u37Xz6im.jpg

Once you remove the material, the wall thickness of the hand guard will end up being about about .05" (1mm).  It's more or less "by feel"...when you think you are getting close, just keep dry fitting the mount into the hand guard...sand more off accordingly.  Be careful with the dremel...you can't put material back!

https://i.imgur.com/9AtWUb1m.jpg

About 30 minutes later....done and done.

https://i.imgur.com/l1DIzJhm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/w9pTaDsm.jpg

It may not be the cleanest looking inside, but it looks perfect on the outside.
View Quote
Very nice! I'm going to have to try this now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Pretty cool. I could have saved myself $300 (stamp and price of stock) if I had the balls to dremel my firearms lol. Looks good bud.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for doing this. Not that it is much to add but I did email Magpul to see if they would just sell a foreend. Nope.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Took the Charger out for the first time today...great little shooter.  Can't wait until to I can get the Copper Custom adapter to make the project complete!

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice job QuietM4.
I want to do this as well, but with the AGP Arms 10/22 TD stock forend. Do you think it would work with it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice job QuietM4.
I want to do this as well, but with the AGP Arms 10/22 TD stock forend. Do you think it would work with it?
View Quote
Only one way to know for sure!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]
yeah-just wondering if it is worth my time and money to do so. Still mulling it around....
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice job QuietM4.
View Quote
I had an AGP TD stock a few years back...they are made a few miles from where I live in AZ. The forearm should take it, but you’d have to dremel it out just like the OEM forearm.  They are nice guys, I’d call or email them to ask about it. I can’t remember from memory what the internal structure looks like.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for posting the pictures and helping me build up the courage to start grinding away at my Charger forearm. Following your lead, it took me about 20 minutes to grind away enough material for the scope mount to drop in. Now my Charger is complete!

Everything fits inside a VISM pistol case:

Pieces before assembly:

Assembled:
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting the pictures and helping me build up the courage to start grinding away at my Charger forearm. Following your lead, it took me about 20 minutes to grind away enough material for the scope mount to drop in. Now my Charger is complete!

Everything fits inside a VISM pistol case:
https://i.imgur.com/4UxojVt.jpg

Pieces before assembly:
https://i.imgur.com/ZuRI59I.jpg

Assembled:
https://i.imgur.com/x6zJkfA.jpg
View Quote
That’s awesome!  My copper custom adapter is sitting in my mailbox at home while I’m out of town for the week working...but I’ll have my SB PDW Brace attached ASAP when I get home Friday.

I like the folding blade setup, but I refuse to pay the price for the Hera adapter. Anyone know if some industrious Chinese company makes a clone?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the folding blade setup, but I refuse to pay the price for the Hera adapter. Anyone know if some industrious Chinese company makes a clone?
View Quote
I used a KAK buffer tube and with the blade retainer tightened down I can just spin the buffer tube onto the CuCustom adapter - it's not as quick as unfolding, but it's shorter (I trimmed the buffer tube threads also to add more shortness) and you're already going to be connecting the barrel, so...
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only Chinese clones I've seen are of the LAW Tactical folder.

I went with the ABA side folder mechanism which was around $89 which, while still expensive, was slightly less than the Hera Arms folding mechanism.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top