Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2018 1:41:24 PM EDT
Anyone taken Night Vision on Safari? I ask because I plan on going to Tanzinia next year for a 12 day safari and thought it would be awesome to have with me.

1. My concern's ITAR. Would I be violating it?
2. Air transportation without it being stolen. How to?

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
1-yes, ITAR.
2-Matters not, because, well, ITAR

You could probably get yourself in a pinch there OP.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1-yes, ITAR.

View Quote
That is what I was thinking and worrying about. hence why I was asking 1 year out.

That said, how do documentary crews and such get around ITAR since they film in NV sometimes?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are exceptions to this. For instance, we have supplied game reserves in Sub-Saharan Africa with thermal binos (N-Vision Optics ATLAS Thermal Binocular). These units fall under Department of Commerce and not State / ITAR. Also, any Gen 2 night vision bino device with a luminance sensitivity under 350 is not controlled by ITAR. It's not great quality, but better than nothing. I've taken the thermals with me to South Africa a few times and it's very cool at night for game drives. PM me if you'd like some pics.
View Quote
So a cheap commercial Gen I or Gen II below 350 would be gtg, but not my PVS7 or 14's?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely no on 14 or 7 unless you get a permission from who knows where, I am not expert in the matter.

To my best knowledge the housing & optics must be non-ITAR and the tube be Gen0/1/2 with photocathode response below 350 and FOM below 1200. Don't quote me on that, but that's how I remember reading it.

A loaner old Gen2 would probably be the only reasonable option unless you find yourself a way for a license or there's an exemption for temporary export. Edit: because, define cheap. Any system close to FOM1200 even with just 350 PR will be somewhere around $2K new. As an example SNR of 18 and resolution 64lp/mm. Would work relatively good in many environments over starlight illumination levels.

Best bets are to not take NV with you at all, purchase the NV from the destination or ask a lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
This wont help the OP but I got to go on a night tour at Disney's Animal Kingdom with a 14 that they supplied. This was a long time ago but it was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So a cheap commercial Gen I or Gen II below 350 would be gtg, but not my PVS7 or 14's?
View Quote
I'm sure it'd be hard for them to tell what gen NV you had and I wouldn't want to miss my flight trying to change someones mind that it was below the allowed specs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish. It was just hand held. Maybe you guys should reach out to them with mouse ears night caps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1-yes, ITAR.

View Quote
FPNI, you would need State Department approval to take it, good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top