Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2018 5:50:28 PM EDT
Anyone have some range time with the new OSS designs?  Suppressed shooting without carbon filling up your gun and gas farting in your eyes is alluring. The old models were too heavy and complex (and expensive), but these new ones look interesting.

Haven’t heard anything about them since the release though - anyone here have?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/22/oss-suppressors-helix-qd/
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have some range time with the new OSS designs?  Suppressed shooting without carbon filling up your gun and gas farting in your eyes is alluring. The old models were too heavy and complex (and expensive), but these new ones look interesting.

Haven’t heard anything about them since the release though - anyone here have?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/22/oss-suppressors-helix-qd/
View Quote
I’ve been waiting on the distributors to get them but they still aren’t available. I doubt anyone but OSS and maybe some direct partners have them yet. I don’t have my own rifle can and the old helix line was great albeit on the heavy side. The new ones are a bit slimmer and lighter, still appear to work like the old ones too. I’d really like one but am just waiting on a distributor to get them in so I can get one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I shot some at a law enforcement demo before the super bowl. Minneapolis PD went with them.

They seemed to have low back pressure and they didn't appear to be overly heavy. We were shooting at an indoor range so it wasn't really easy to tell how quiet they were. They had the old design there too and I definitely liked the new design better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I kinda liked how the older design didn't extend the length as much as a traditional suppressor.  I almost bought one, the one thing that really held me back is it didn't seem very widely compatible.  Seemed like you were stuck with direct thread in a single pattern.  Well the second thing was price, they were pretty spendy.  New design has my interest though if the street price is right.  Hell maybe the old one if the "blowout" prices are nice enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess they don't care about heat and mirage anymore ... or it was just another marketing gimmick.

Why the octagon shape?
The octagonal shape provides for better heat displacement and enhances mirage mitigation.

OSS Suppressors LLC
280 West Central Ave.
Millcreek, UT 84107 USA
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess they don't care about heat and mirage anymore ... or it was just another marketing gimmick.

Why the octagon shape?
The octagonal shape provides for better heat displacement and enhances mirage mitigation.

OSS Suppressors LLC
280 West Central Ave.
Millcreek, UT 84107 USA
View Quote
They said they did it for weight savings and cost savings which brought prices down. Seems like it’s accomplished that. As far as mirage effectiveness, I don’t know for sure but heat dissipation makes sense. The more surface area there is, the faster heat transfers off that object. Think of a heat sink on a cpu.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They said they did it for weight savings and cost savings which brought prices down. Seems like it's accomplished that. As far as mirage effectiveness, I don't know for sure but heat dissipation makes sense. The more surface area there is, the faster heat transfers off that object. Think of a heat sink on a cpu.
View Quote
Except they had an octagonal tube that went over a cylindrical tube, so there was plenty of air gaps between the outer tube and the inner tube to inhibit effective heat transfer....
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Crap, so no distributors even have them yet?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the dealer who did the LE demos in MN--it appears they had them before the public announcement.  They are obviously big fans after a lot of comparison demos:

https://facebook.com/SentinelMN/
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered the imf6,old version as part of the clearance price of 399$.  No tax, free shipping but did pay 75$ to my class 3 ffl.  I picked it based on the huge price discount and testing I saw that showed it produced less sound st the shooters ear vs other models.  Have since seen posts on Botach, I didn’t realize what I was getting into but not a smooth process but ultimately, it has worked out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top