Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 5:55:10 PM EDT
Just picked up an MR762. Trying to decide on an optic but I'm not really settled on what purpose this rifle will serve. I'm thinking man-sized targets to 600. Right now it's just got Troy Micros on it.

I really want to get a Leupold mk5 3-18 and shoot tiny groups with handholds, but practically speaking, I've got a 5.56 AR with an ATACR for that.

So that probably leaves me with an LPVO of some sort, but I've always wanted to try an ACOG. My concern is sight over bore height and not having enough magnification to reach out to 600. Also, the limited eye relief might make it look goofy mounted all the way back....

Was hoping the hive mind could sway me one way or another.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go lpvo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah probably the best bet. Local crew things I'm an idiot for even considering an ACOG on it. Eyeing up the Credo 1-8, Luepold, or NX8.

I really want to try an ACOG at some point though...
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked at the big ACOGs? I'm looking at a 648 for a LMT MWS with the same purpose, man sized targets at 600. They are kind of big though

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah probably the best bet. Local crew things I'm an idiot for even considering an ACOG on it. Eyeing up the Credo 1-8, Luepold, or NX8.

I really want to try an ACOG at some point though...
View Quote

The eye relief on an ACOG, especially the 4x would put your eye closer to the optic than I would want to on a piston 308. They have larger options like the post above this one which might be worth looking at, or Elcan if you hate money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The eye relief on an ACOG, especially the 4x would put your eye closer to the optic than I would want to on a piston 308. They have larger options like the post above this one which might be worth looking at, or Elcan if you hate money.
View Quote

That is my biggest worry.

I've never seen that ACOG before....looks nice, need to look into it

Thanks for the replies guys.

ETA: $2k for the big ACOG isn't bad, but 36oz!
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The only ACOG I would run on a 7.62 / 308 Win is the TA11 (3.5x35) model.  They have very generous eye relief.  I have used them on SCAR-17s, LMT MWS, and might stick one on my MR762A1.  I too haven't decided which role the HK fills.  

My short list of optics in consideration ...

[GENERAL PURPOSE USE] Trijicon TA11H-G 308
[DMR STYLE SHOOTING] Vortex Razor 1-6x Gen 2 HD
[JUST A 600M RANGE GUN] Leupold VX-Freedom 6-18 Side Parallax Adjust
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
^ thanks for the suggestions.

Put a few magazines of ammo down range today. All off-hand with the Troy irons.

The MR762 would not be my first choice for a general purpose rifle. Big and Heavy and a decent amount more recoil than expected; been a while since I've shot magnum bolt guns though. It makes my ARs feel like toys. The ACOG idea is out.

I'd throw my ATACR on it, but I want a bit more versatility so LPVO it is. I'll have to check out that 1-6 Razor, otherwise I'm going to give the Trijicon Credo 1-8x a go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^ thanks for the suggestions.

Put a few magazines of ammo down range today. All off-hand with the Troy irons.

The MR762 would not be my first choice for a general purpose rifle. Big and Heavy and a decent amount more recoil than expected; been a while since I've shot magnum bolt guns though. It makes my ARs feel like toys. The ACOG idea is out.

I'd throw my ATACR on it, but I want a bit more versatility so LPVO it is. I'll have to check out that 1-6 Razor, otherwise I'm going to give the Trijicon Credo 1-8x a go.
View Quote

I went with the Sig Tango6t with Dwlr6 reticle as I got (what I thought at the time) a really good deal but otherwise it is kind of meh for an lpvo. The piston and over gassed nature can be hard on improperly installed optics and accessories, so make sure you are hitting proper torque values on screws.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I ran a TA11 green horseshoe for a year or so on the 762.  It was way too underpowered and the reticle was WAY to big at 100yds+ for anything than point shooting.  I eventually replaced it with a Nightforce adjustable power which was a much better fit for that gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll speak in favor of the TA110 on a 16" 7.62 NATO. I use the crosshair reticle and have found 500 yard hits to be no problem and 500 yard accuracy surprisingly good. I didn't expect to, but I've come to prefer these ACOGs to my LPVOs. LPVOs certainly offer better target ID capability, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top