Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2021 11:15:05 AM EDT
I drove 200 miles RT to buy 5K #500 and 2K #300 CCI primers last week and when he opened the box I saw they were very old but in excellent shape store in AC etc

I have never had problems with old primers so this is not a complaint as I paid $30/K so felt blessed

I ran some Chrono tests this morning against recent navy blue boxed CCI#500 using 4.8gr Vit N330 124hr FMJ in GFL cases

The old green box primers averaged 1071.5 FPS and the newer ones 1086.6 FPS so a little different by 1 1/2% less but I paid $100.00 for the newer ones and 30 for the green old ones and would love to find the same deal again

I started reloading in 1994 so never saw this packaging
My big question is when did CCI use the green box? 1980, 1990???

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked the same question here last year and the consensus was mid 60s.

It was also agreed that as long as they were stored properly, they are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in the 1980's CCI was sort of the economy brand.

Around 1988 or 1989, CCI got a new owner and soon they wanted to upgrade the products.

One thing they said was that the old primers used the same compound for standard and magnum primers, with the magnum primers just having more of it.

Around 1989 the CCI primers changed so that the standard primers got compounds designed for extruded powders the magnum primers got compounds designed for ball powders.

it may have been 1990 or 91 (92?) but sometime back then was the major change due to a new owner, that I think changed later too.

Around 2005 the primers changed from nickel plated to bare brass.

The old primers have green labels on standard primers and red labels on magnum primers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 1k of the green box standard large rifle but traded them for 1k wolf small rifle mag. Still have these. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Around 1988 or 1989, CCI got a new owner and soon they wanted to upgrade the products.

One thing they said was that the old primers used the same compound for standard and magnum primers, with the magnum primers just having more of it.

Around 1989 the CCI primers changed so that the standard primers got compounds designed for extruded powders the magnum primers got compounds designed for ball powders.

it may have been 1990 or 91 (92?) but sometime back then was the major change due to a new owner, that I think changed later too.

The old primers have green labels on standard primers and red labels on magnum primers.
View Quote

I've been reloading since the early 1980's and don't recall seeing bare brass CCI primers. Was this a short-lived change? All of the CCI primers I've purchased over the last few years are nickel plated. Maybe you mean Winchester changed to bare brass?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been reloading since the early 1980's and don't recall seeing bare brass CCI primers. Was this a short-lived change? All of the CCI primers I've purchased over the last few years are nickel plated. Maybe you mean Winchester changed to bare brass?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be, but I'm sure they sold them in some sizes for a while.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems these are from the 1970's and around 1980 they stopped using the green boxes.

That makes sense since the guy I got them from bought them himself and he is 68 so if he has been reloading since 20 he would have got these mid 70's or later

He said they were always kept in A/C and the packaging is in excellent new like condition so  the evidence suggests he is being honest

Loaded up 50 running some drills all fired fine. Ran some Chrono as mentioned above and all is great. Feel lucky to have them with our current dilemma
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked some of these up in a pawnshop a few years ago. I used some not long ago and all went bang. Maybe late 70’s area early 80’s?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
@Kerry_Handel

<snip> I see you are new here, so let me explain a few things.

This is a technical forum, not GD (general discussions). Here are the rules from the conduct code you agreed to when you joined,

Specific to the Tech Forums;

The Tech Forums (AR-15, AK-47, Handgun, Armory, Training, Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the General Discussion forums are not permitted there. These forums are to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments, insulting others, etc will not be ignored.

This forum is a friendly place and we don't insult others here.

Ask politely for pics if you wish to learn, remember you are the new guy here. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
KH, I am confused. Is asking about dating old primers not good here???

Just spoke with CCI CS.
The 100 packs had a code of D07F which they were able to verify as 1975 manufacture date so 46 years old and function 100%
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I’d like to find out about these A19H code primers

I was told some time in the 60s.  They look fine

I’ve got about 515 of them.  I’ll use them in Subsonics or something mild in initial testing to see what happens and ultimately keep one or two of the six empty boxes and maybe give the rest away once they’re used up

If someone local really wanted a sleeve to test out comparing old, well-stored primers with new manufacture or do something with I’m not opposed
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Call CCI CS and give them the code A19R and they will tell you the year those were made
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Call CCI CS and give them the code A19H and they will tell you the year those were made
View Quote

1977 according to Cody, technical service rep

Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I shot up about 500 of Sr primers that were in wooden trays early this summer.  I have no idea where or when I got them. But they were fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Another point of interest is the color of the primer solution.
My recent CCI are yellow/gold but the 1975 had a reddish tint.
I asked the tech if that was a different solution.
He said no the solution is the same.
The color difference is the tint on the film they use to cover the solution.
Th film coating was news to me.
I never knew they covered the solution with a film to protect it and might well explain why these old primers function as well as newer ones
The solution is actually sealed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top