Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 8:44:07 PM EDT
Hey guys vintage hunting rifles specifically the Remington model 141 has piqued my interest. What can you tell me about them? Accuracy, round capacity, reliability, and prices?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s the one with the weird corkscrew like mag tube?   Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s the one with the weird corkscrew like mag tube?   Sounds interesting.
View Quote

Yes that’s the one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m just here to learn.  I’ve seen two for sale a while back, one was pretty nice and 500, one was kinda beat for 300.   Both were in .35.
I really don’t even know if that twist mag tube works.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m just here to learn.  I’ve seen two for sale a while back, one was pretty nice and 500, one was kinda beat for 300.   Both were in .35.
I really don’t even know if that twist mag tube works.
View Quote

I wish I could see a nice one for $500, prices on Gunbroker are up around $1000.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't tell you much about that rifle, but a little about the .35.  I am kinda a fan of old cartridges that are dead, or almost dead.  All those Remington cartridges the 25 up to the 35, the savage cartridges be they the dead 22HP or the almost dead 300.  I got into these when I got into the remington 8 and 81.

35 Remington is best called a 30-30 on steroids.  It hits a bit harder over the 3030, a TAD bit flatter, you are still going to be stuck with round nosed bullets for the most part.  It is still hanging on by its toe nails, I think there are still some lever guns being made in 35 rem.

It is a good cartridge, if you reload brass is still out there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't tell you much about that rifle, but a little about the .35.  I am kinda a fan of old cartridges that are dead, or almost dead.  All those Remington cartridges the 25 up to the 35, the savage cartridges be they the dead 22HP or the almost dead 300.  I got into these when I got into the remington 8 and 81.

35 Remington is best called a 30-30 on steroids.  It hits a bit harder over the 3030, a TAD bit flatter, you are still going to be stuck with round nosed bullets for the most part.  It is still hanging on by its toe nails, I think there are still some lever guns being made in 35 rem.

It is a good cartridge, if you reload brass is still out there.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the info. As most hunting calibers there’s none to be found anywhere
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Does the spiral mag actually work?   A pointed .35 in that Gun would be impressive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently got the itch for an older school takedown rifle and have looked at those or the Remington 81. I passed on one a while back and regret it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recently got the itch for an older school takedown rifle and have looked at those or the Remington 81. I passed on one a while back and regret it.
View Quote

Not to hijack the thread, but they are really cool rifles.....and they are really thick feeling in your hand.  

There are about (off the top of my head) 4 of these little lever like things on the side of the rec, and during the cycle process they all tip and move this way or that way, and it makes the gun run....how anyone came up with that in their head....wow.

IMHO I would stick with the original remington flavors, I have an 81 in 300 savage and I think it is just too much for such a small gun.  If you think an auto 5 is a kick try an 81 in 300 savage...it lets you know you touched something off.

If you are interested in the guns keep an eye out for a barrel bushing wrench.  There is a mondo spring in there that gets very little love, you don't need to mess with it often, but if you want to give it a coat of something you MUST HAVE that wrench....don't even try without it.  There is an 8-81 forum keep an eye over there, every once and a while I guy will machine up some....they always sell quick.

sorry for the hijack....I just love those rifles and those odd duck cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
LGS has a 141 in stock in pretty decent condition for $525 (don't know what caliber). Just PM for the contact info.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw one a few weeks back, can't remember the price. Thought hard about getting it, especially since the store actually has some .35 Remington ammo on the shelf, which is was actually a bigger surprise than the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, it was my wife's grandfather's. It has taken countless deer and antelope. And is unique in regards to it's takedown feature. But honestly, looked at objectively without the nostalgia, it's a horrible firearm compared to any monern rifle.

Taking one apart to clean it makes one really appreciate modern, simple designs (I think there are more screws alone than total parts in a Glock). I think many of the design complications were merely to get around patents, notably the slide release on the bolt. Accuracy is fine, but my worn example has a tendency to have hammer follow while cycling quickly. Not fun on the range and a safety issue. The trigger is also very heavy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, it was my wife's grandfather's. It has taken countless deer and antelope. And is unique in regards to it's takedown feature. But honestly, looked at objectively without the nostalgia, it's a horrible firearm compared to any monern rifle.

Taking one apart to clean it makes one really appreciate modern, simple designs (I think there are more screws alone than total parts in a Glock). I think many of the design complications were merely to get around patents, notably the slide release on the bolt. Accuracy is fine, but my worn example has a tendency to have hammer follow while cycling quickly. Not fun on the range and a safety issue. The trigger is also very heavy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
View Quote

Thank you, if I ever find one for a low price I may pick it up. Sounds like it’s nothing worth spending $1k for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top