Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine was the last batch priced at $119.  What is the best way to host a picture on this site.  I usually text pics when selling or buying?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Well I can’t make a complete shotgun out of the two that I got, but I can be close. I’m not mad or happy for $119, they will be fun projects that shouldn’t take much to get into fighting shape again. I’m gonna fix one up nice and the other will stay original.
I’ll do a write up of all they’re missing once I get off work.
Edit: Here is all what was missing for each shotgun:

Shotgun 1:
-Trigger group
-Shell lifter
-Shell stops
-Bolt assembly

Shotgun 2:
-Bolt carrier
-Shell stops
-Safety and detent, cosmoline was holding the spring in
-Front sling swivel

Both will need new buttpads. One was chewed up and the other is intact but disintegrating with contact. The buttstock that is crooked in the picture just had a loose stock bolt, so that was a quick fix. The remaining safety is nearly cracked in half, so it will either need to be delicately repaired or I will 3D print a replacement.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered all the stock safety and sling swivels  for my shotgun from numrich.  I backordered a brand new metal trigger group from Brownells.  I also got a can of dark parkerizing alumna hyde for some finish once I knock the crud and rust off.  The fore end needs to be cleaned and oiled.  The more I farted around with the old gun the more it grew on me.  It will live again and there was some fun along the way.  I also found its little cousin the other day.  .410 pump westernfield m550ed made for montgomery ward.  The Mossberg fleet is growing already
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered all the stock safety and sling swivels  for my shotgun from numrich.  I backordered a brand new metal trigger group from Brownells.  I also got a can of dark parkerizing alumna hyde for some finish once I knock the crud and rust off.  The fore end needs to be cleaned and oiled.  The more I farted around with the old gun the more it grew on me.  It will live again and there was some fun along the way.  I also found its little cousin the other day.  .410 pump westernfield m550ed made for montgomery ward.  The Mossberg fleet is growing already
View Quote
Warning, that dark park Alumahyde is pretty green in color.

mine are coming on Friday.  My FFL was beating around the bush getting an updated copy sent in.  So that means I'm probably getting whatever was left and so I'm not expecting much.

I know they were only $119, but the ad didn't say anything about trigger assy and bolt assy being possibly completely missing :(
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I too was sort of miffed about the trigger group, because the ad said minor parts and maybe broken trigger housing ECT.  My first thought was to sell off the parts and chop up the receiver.  I was thinking about the cost of a complete gun and the cost of piecing this thing back together.  Then I thought about all the junk cars that have been pieced back together and turned into something of beauty.  This will be my hotrod and something i put together which means something in the world of GrubHub and video games.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone got a lead on replacement stocks? When I cleaned mine up, I put the stock in the dishwasher, and when I reassembled, the stock fit well, but now it’s a little loose.

The original stock has issues, and I’d like to find a 500 ATP stock instead of the normal 500 stock. Ideas?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The stocks at numrich are not correct but it is a non checkered hardwood stock with a slightly different butt pad.  I was thinking about taking the stock and sanding it to match the original stock.  Although that would rely heavily on my carving sanding skills to turn out nicely not to mention a huge time suck.  I would be game for a atp stock as well if there a cache out there..
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I found this place called Lee's gun parts in Dallas.  No websight you have to call and he will mail you parts   He has trigger groups for 40 bucks and a bunch of the rest of the Mossberg 500 parts.  I got a complete safety too.    He has a bunch of hardwood commercial stocks too.  No ATP stocks however.  Now I need to cancel my order at numrichs when they reopen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I found this place called Lee's gun parts in Dallas.  No websight you have to call and he will mail you parts   He has trigger groups for 40 bucks and a bunch of the rest of the Mossberg 500 parts.  I got a complete safety too.    He has a bunch of hardwood commercial stocks too.  No ATP stocks however.  Now I need to cancel my order at numrichs when they reopen.
View Quote

They canceled my order without me asking. Watch your e-mail and see if they do it for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Was gonna grab one of the $119 500 atp's but all sold out, oh well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#15]
the charge from Lee's Gun Parts hit the bank already.  so I will assume all is well with the shipment.  Will advise.  I am looking forward to putting the old girl back together over the weekend.  Once it is serviceable again then I will take it apart and do a finish job on it when I get the Brownell's "Dark Park" paint for the metal work.  not original, but, just paint not anything bubba would do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Ordered two, but hours apart, and they didn’t ship together but here’s the first one to come in. Missing the bead and complete safety assembly. Trigger guard is intact but loose and will dry fire. I imagine a pin is missing somewhere in there. The forend is excessively loose around the mag tube so wondering if something is missing there too. Butt pad will need replaced. Almost no finish left on the barrel but I don’t see any major rust yet. Bore is bright and shiny. I’ll probably repark the steel parts and aluma-black the receiver. If that doesn’t turn out, I’ll bead blast and re-anodize. Pretty happy so far and excited to see what gun number 2 looks like.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ordered two, but hours apart, and they didn't ship together but here's the first one to come in. Missing the bead and complete safety assembly. Trigger guard is intact but loose and will dry fire. I imagine a pin is missing somewhere in there. The forend is excessively loose around the mag tube so wondering if something is missing there too. Butt pad will need replaced. Almost no finish left on the barrel but I don't see any major rust yet. Bore is bright and shiny. I'll probably repark the steel parts and aluma-black the receiver. If that doesn't turn out, I'll bead blast and re-anodize. Pretty happy so far and excited to see what gun number 2 looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/nmhEpyW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/flMpqdk.jpg
View Quote
Is that $119 version, I'd be tickled to death with that?. I'll find out tomorrow what I get (3x of $119). I plan to repark and refinish one(if needed) and mothball the other two as is. I'd be curious to see how aluma black turns out
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:
Is that $119 version, I'd be tickled to death with that?. I'll find out tomorrow what I get (3x of $119). I plan to repark and refinish one(if needed) and mothball the other two as is. I'd be curious to see how aluma black turns out
View Quote

Yep, I ordered two of the $119’s. One will be mine, one is for my brother. Might refinish both or leave one as is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
i got my parts from Lee's and a complete NOS stock (not ATP and has a shiney finish that will need to be sanded and oiled), complete trigger assembly, and all of the external safety parts was 100 dollars shipped.  the safety parts specifically were 10 bucks.  

ok I have my shotgun broken down into a pile of parts.  I am going to clean up everything and reassembly loosely just to ensure it will function.  Then break it down again to get ready to refinish when my fake park arrives from Brownell's.  It would be cool to actually get this thing reparked for real if it will cycle shells and run.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Was able to get my first one disassemble this weekend. Looks like its also missing both the cartridge interrupter and the cartridge stop and although the trigger guard is complete, the two front tabs were busted off and the top part of the connector is broken off as well. I was hoping I wasn't gunna have to replace the trigger guard as it seems to be the most costly part. I'm not terribly familiar with mossbergs so I disassembled it alongside my only Mossberg, my 590A1. The back end of the trigger guard/connector looks different than the modern ones. Also the sloppiness of the forend seems normal as the action tube on the 500 is smooth where the action tube on my modern 590 has dimples to take up the slack on the mag tube. Also noticed the wood forend has a split at the top where its thinnest under the barrel. Probably wont worry about it though as it doesn't seem to affect function. I suppose I could try to acraglas it. Looking forward to my second one showing up and seeing what parts I can salvage and know in total what ill have to order. Also, while unscrewing the front sling swivel, I didn't notice there's a 1/16th pin cross-drilled through the bolt. Didn't take much force to break it clean off right where the pin crosses. Luckily the channel that remained allowed me to unscrew the remaining part of the bolt with a tiny flat head screw driver. Add that to the 'replacement parts needed' list. It presumably spent its whole life being abused in some jungle only to be further dicked up by me once it gets back to the states .
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I got 3 bcg's, 3 fcgs, and 3 sling swivels, 3 front site beads

1 intact safety, one cracked through screw hole, and one gone

ETA: got them all back together and all will cycle and I'm sure all would shoot. Would not shoot 248
What's the deal the action bars coming undone?  Seems like they just needed taken apart and put back together and are GTG.

240 cleaned up.  Couple rust spots on the barrel, but quite nice IMHO
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#24]
You have an amazing variety of trigger guard damage with those.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Poor #248 - That gun has some stores to tell.  Perhaps a few only to a priest in a confessional.

Well I got 3 bcg's, 3 fcgs, and 3 sling swivels, 3 front site beads

1 intact safety, one cracked through screw hole, and one gone
https://i.imgur.com/XPKWnFK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YyJepef.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Poor #248 - That gun has some stores to tell.  Perhaps a few only to a priest in a confessional.

View Quote

Probably something dumb, like some private that  got his ass reamed for losing it out in the jungle only for it to be found again a number of years later.
Rusty guts and the pitting on the barrel near the chamber is bad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Probably something dumb, like some private that  got his ass reamed for losing it out in the jungle only for it to be found again a number of years later.
Rusty guts and the pitting on the barrel near the chamber is bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
Poor #248 - That gun has some stores to tell.  Perhaps a few only to a priest in a confessional. 

Probably something dumb, like some private that  got his ass reamed for losing it out in the jungle only for it to be found again a number of years later.
Rusty guts and the pitting on the barrel near the chamber is bad.

Looks like termites got to the stock.
I think that shotgun is salvageable as far as the metal goes.
It will take some doing, but could be fun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Well I got 3 bcg's, 3 fcgs, and 3 sling swivels, 3 front site beads

1 intact safety, one cracked through screw hole, and one gone

ETA: got them all back together and all will cycle and I'm sure all would shoot. Would not shoot 248
What's the deal the action bars coming undone?  Seems like they just needed taken apart and put back together and are GTG.
https://i.imgur.com/fd8kWHI.jpg
240 cleaned up.  Couple rust spots on the barrel, but quite nice IMHO
View Quote

Wow, 240 cleaned up great!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:

Wow, 240 cleaned up great! 
View Quote

Great Work.  These can be cleaned up nice!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up my second one yesterday. It’s better than the first. It’s number 8. Without having it apart yet, it’s gunna need the whole safety assembly, trigger guard/group, interrupter and shell stop, butt pad and spacer, but the wood is nicer and has more finish remaining on the metal. Might leave as is after a good cleaning. Very happy with my two.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Can someone take some calipers and measure the inside dimension of the end of their barrel? I’m back at work now with access to the lathe so I can make a pin to try and get the dent out of ours. Thank you
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can someone take some calipers and measure the inside dimension of the end of their barrel? I’m back at work now with access to the lathe so I can make a pin to try and get the dent out of ours. Thank you
View Quote

Mine measures  0.734" horizontal and .732" vertical   hmmm.... its not exactly round and as others said, I suspect these vary.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Is there a source for the front sling swivel screw on these?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Getting the parts coated today. The boy is excited to get this one done. Need to get him a bayonet and sling for it. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Was at a gun show yesterday and saw a vendor with quite a few of these. I instantly recognized them from this thread.
They were still beat up, but had been cleaned up some like most on here have done.
Price?
$500  

Crazy, considering I saw multiple other good used shotguns in the show in the $250 range that were in light years better condition.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Pretty interesting config on those missies.

Wood stocks and bayo lugs. Put a heatsshield, USGI green cotton M14 sling, and a bayonet and you’ve got an instant M1897 trench gun inspired modern variant.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn. Wish I had picked one of these up. I’ll add that to my list right after the Ithaca 37s from Aim Surplus.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well I got 3 bcg's, 3 fcgs, and 3 sling swivels, 3 front site beads

1 intact safety, one cracked through screw hole, and one gone

ETA: got them all back together and all will cycle and I'm sure all would shoot. Would not shoot 248
What's the deal the action bars coming undone?  Seems like they just needed taken apart and put back together and are GTG.
https://i.imgur.com/fd8kWHI.jpg
240 cleaned up.  Couple rust spots on the barrel, but quite nice IMHO
View Quote
This is 248 on the top all fixed up
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Nice Job!   Nice to see a relic brought back from the dead!

It seems the price on these is climbing so your investment in parts was likely well worth it.  I wish I had bought 3 of these when I had the chance.

I am also glad this thread didn't die
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Super pissed I missed these!
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top