Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2023 8:56:15 PM EDT

And where can I order a stock that color?

So I believe Steyr builds these specifically for these locations, and I was wondering about the technical details and differences.  I see the gas system is absent, as well as barrel latch button.  So basically a USR, minus gas system?

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/steyr-arms-aug-spr-straight-pull-223-rem

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There's really not much to know you already stated exactly as it is.

No gas system and no quick change barrel latch.

I highly recommend using a gearhead works charging handle which faces down instead of up for one of these it will be a lot easier and a lot faster.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried very hard to convince steyr to import the straight pull Z as a means to bring in A2 receivers. This is exactly how other companies bring in certain unimportable guns because they are NOT semi automatic. After all my insistence, steyr was not at all interested in pursuing that path. Damn shame.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The missing gas cylinder is obvious, but I wondered if maybe the barrel was permanently attached beyond just removing the knob.  I guess it's a "do it if you dare" thing for them, at the risk of jail time.  Maybe semi barrels are hard to come by over there even if you dared.

Very interesting about Steyr and the importation.  Beside the A2 receivers, I would like to buy one configured as it is just for the collectable aspect.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Steyr has had some challenges with 300 black.

Some of my alternate ideas about an approach to 300 black in the OG include....

A straight pull barrel with no gas system set up for subsonics.

A semi-auto barrel optimized for subsonics and with a suppressor semi-permanently mounted.

A semi-auto barrel optimized for supersonics with or without a suppressor.

The AUG has tremendous versatility in large part because of the quick change barrel. USE IT!

For example Knight's armament company has a dedicated purpose-built suppressed barrel assembly for their lmg.

Styer needs to do something like that for the AUG.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steyr has had some challenges with 300 black.

Some of my alternate ideas about an approach to 300 black in the OG include....

A straight pull barrel with no gas system set up for subsonics.

A semi-auto barrel optimized for subsonics and with a suppressor semi-permanently mounted.

A semi-auto barrel optimized for supersonics with or without a suppressor.

The AUG has tremendous versatility in large part because of the quick change barrel. USE IT!
View Quote

The last Steyr Austria catalog I saw showed a .300 blk version
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The last Steyr Austria catalog I saw showed a .300 blk version
View Quote

The boxes of new AUG's have had 300 Blackout on them for a while now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The boxes of new AUG's have had 300 Blackout on them for a while now.
View Quote

At least two years now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I know. So, where are they?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I would actually be interested in an aug barrel in 300 Hammer which should be a lot easier than 300 black.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Sportsman Gun Centre are Steyr dealers and are usually very helpful regarding parts orders.

They will order you one if Steyr will let them.

It’s a new colour for the Z SP - originals were black.

Quoted:
The missing gas cylinder is obvious, but I wondered if maybe the barrel was permanently attached beyond just removing the knob.  I guess it's a "do it if you dare" thing for them, at the risk of jail time.  Maybe semi barrels are hard to come by over there even if you dared.
View Quote

No, it has the QD barrel function, but they omit the button and shorten the rod it fits to.

I’ve noticed you also need to back the tensioning screw off to operate the QD system, and remove the stock. Not sure if the tension screw is longer than standard or if the recess in the stock it fits in is shorter.

I replaced my QD parts with the standard set-up. Getting the tiny, fragile retaining screw out was not fun as it was cut with a much shallower screwdriver slot than standard and glued in place.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sportsman Gun Centre are Steyr dealers and are usually very helpful regarding parts orders.

They will order you one if Steyr will let them.

It’s a new colour for the Z SP - originals were black.

No, it has the QD barrel function, but they omit the button and shorten the rod it fits to.

I’ve noticed you also need to back the tensioning screw off to operate the QD system, and remove the stock. Not sure if the tension screw is longer than standard or if the recess in the stock it fits in is shorter.

I replaced my QD parts with the standard set-up. Getting the tiny, fragile retaining screw out was not fun as it was cut with a much shallower screwdriver slot than standard and glued in place.
View Quote

If they're willing to be party to export then one could likely import the gun via form 6, bypassing steyr completely...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Anaxes-  Thank you for the first hand information!  I don't think Sportsman Gun Centre in interested.  I contacted them soon after the original post, and asked if I could order just the stock, just for the sake of having that bluish color.  They replied:

"I only have stocks that include triggers available to order and I am afraid we would not be able to send them over to you."  

I was hoping sending just a plastic stock shell would be like any other item, as I have ordered motorcycle parts and other hobby items internationally with no issue.  Evidently gun parts are different, at least according to the sender in this case.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top