Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 9:17:46 AM EDT
I'm very interested in the Nexus Tactical handguard to get the weight of my ACR down... how durable are they?  Fit and finish good?

Website indicates they are sold as ­is without any guarantee, which doesn't inspire confidence plunking down $400-500 on a handguard.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Why go with a plastic hand guard when the MI is available for half and made of aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why go with a plastic hand guard when the MI is available for half and made of aluminum.
View Quote
Carbon fiber, not just plastic

It's waaaaaay lighter, helps with what's my biggest issue with the ACR.  MI is about the same weight as stock.

I understand Al handguards can get hot.  Not sure on the ACR as mine are the basic Magpul ones, but my SCAR handguard does get warm.  I read this one is pretty good with heat too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Nexus Tactical handguards are NOT plastic! They are carbon fiber; WAY lighter and they block the heat far better than aluminum ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
2 Nexus handguards weighs about as much one of any of the aluminum Handguards. That includes MI, RPM and Remington
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like mine a lot, for the same reasons as everyone else said above.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Cause the Nexus Tactile carbon fiber HG is way better looking than the MI HG, looks like they spent a whole 7min on its design! Appearance matters when you have choices.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The Flexus Tactical is not carbon fiber! It’s freaking plastic with some fibers mixed in to try to help with strength because IT’S PLASTIC! On top of that the first time you mount something it jacks the hole all up because IT’S PLASTIC! Go buy some polymer AR lowers too because they are what you call “carbon fiber” also and so they must be better than the aluminum ones lol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Flexus Tactical is not carbon fiber! It's freaking plastic with some fibers mixed in to try to help with strength because IT'S PLASTIC! On top of that the first time you mount something it jacks the hole all up because IT'S PLASTIC! Go buy some polymer AR lowers too because they are what you call "carbon fiber" also and so they must be better than the aluminum ones lol.
View Quote
Also explains why both Nexus versions are....discontinued.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also explains why both Nexus versions are....discontinued.
View Quote
They are not discontinued, and Nexus has a lot more than two versions of their handguard. And they ARE carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
They were discontinued because the company that prints them for Nexus charges 300 for a print and then it requires 10-20 hours of sanding to make them come out nice.  Tom has had problems with the company that printed sending the wrong prints so he gave up trying to get them out.

As far as the durability, I've tested them in the desert with a post sample machine gun and they held up alot better than I thought they would.  We shot about 750 rounds of auto over 3-4 hours in 95 degree heat.

The second time I tested one was in Nashville when I did 300 rounds back to back and had the rifle so hot that the receiver burned me to the touch.  The rail was slightly flexable at that point but the rifle was also over 150-160 degrees.  The air temperature that day was about 90-95 and it was extremely humid which helped heat the rifle up too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
So, out of curiosity, anyone know when Nexus stuff is going to be back?  Right now it looks like everything on their website is discontinued.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Carbon fiber, not just plastic.
View Quote
Looks like it's been covered, but they are not "Carbon Fiber"
They are polymer, with short fibers mixed in.

Same as with every polymer lower receiver that claims to be "carbon fiber"

There is a huge difference between laminated carbon fiber and short fiber/polymer mix.

It's like saying asphault is a stone, just because there is small aggregate in it.

Not saying they don't work, but don't let incorrect marketing terminology sway you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, out of curiosity, anyone know when Nexus stuff is going to be back?  Right now it looks like everything on their website is discontinued.
View Quote
Don't have a timeframe, but they are coming back. As bigdog200399 said above, Nexus has temporarily stopped taking orders while they reorganize and find a better manufacturer and manufacturing processes that are cheaper and less manual labor time consuming.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know what happened to Nexus Tactical? All their ACR products are discontinued on their site and all their social media accounts are gone. Nevermind... I missed some of the replies in this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top