Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not an Afxentiou Cocktail? The same general idea, but more advanced. (Afxentiou was an EOKA fighter in Cyprus, in the 1950's.)

Why do you need a form 1 for this?
Is gasoline considered an explosive?
Its gas, a old rag and an empty wine bottle. You can have all 3 components right next to each other in your garage and there is literally nothing the ATF or anyone can do about it.
There is a reason why these are very popular in third world and oppressed nations. There is no way to regulate or restrict the components its made of.

You're basically paying $200 to brag to your friends and people on here that you have a tax stamp for a Molotov cocktail
View Quote

Exactly. All the components are common household items. If the need arises, they can be slapped together in no time. Applying for a Form 1 for this is a waste of everyone's time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
A right unexercised, right?

If this is what he wants to do, that's great. If nothing else it serves as an example of the lawful pursuit of an interesting hobby in a safe, regulated way.

You can find tons of articles on yoyos that just make them, but wouldn't it be nice, especially if you are exposing someone to the realities of destructive device possession, to be able to say, I know of people that have and shoot mortars, and homebrew grenades, even molotov cocktails?

Unpossibrew

No, it is possible. In fact, this is why nfa laws are nothing but a poll tax.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A right unexercised, right?

If this is what he wants to do, that's great. If nothing else it serves as an example of the lawful pursuit of an interesting hobby in a safe, regulated way.

You can find tons of articles on yoyos that just make them, but wouldn't it be nice, especially if you are exposing someone to the realities of destructive device possession, to be able to say, I know of people that have and shoot mortars, and homebrew grenades, even molotov cocktails?

Unpossibrew

No, it is possible. In fact, this is why nfa laws are nothing but a poll tax.
View Quote

This is a great explanation.

I too laughed at this and the homebrew 'grenades'.

But, really it isn't SO MUCH about performance, frag patterns, lethality or functionality of a hand-held-thermo-ehrmagawd-gre-nuke - BUT an EXERCISE OF ONES FREEDOM.

DO IT.  GO FOR IT.

PLEASE GAWD DO IT SAFELY.

But yeah, not my money, BUT DO IT FOR AMERICA.

I gets mine on the Govvie Dime, but I really do applaud those that take up this venture and EXERCISE THAT RIGHT.

~Will
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Was looking for some data on the history of the ORIGINAL Molotov Cocktails users (Finland in the Winter War - the name was a suitable response to the bombing of civilians in Helsinki, which Molotov explained away as the Russian airfoce dropping baskets of bread) & found this article:

Finnish military magazine - ice mines & land mines

A few details of the glass bottle "ice mines" & also the "wooden box" mines
(see pages 3 to 7 of the pdf linked - the ice mine bottle is on page 4, others on page 5)
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks, guys, for the other input.

Check cashed 07/28/2016.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]
This may be of some assistance to you, it's a sort of memoir of a chemist who developed incendiary devices during WW2, but with a significant amount of technical information, including a section specifically on napalm. It may not provide much use for you, but it may, and if nothing else, it's fascinating.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/books/the_scientific_method.pdf

http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/ Source is here, you may find it interesting anyway to look at they way they used to do chemistry. I'm a baby chemist, so I'm still enthusiastic enough to read stuff about it in my own time.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This may be of some assistance to you, it's a sort of memoir of a chemist who developed incendiary devices during WW2, but with a significant amount of technical information, including a section specifically on napalm. It may not provide much use for you, but it may, and if nothing else, it's fascinating.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/books/the_scientific_method.pdf

http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/ Source is here, you may find it interesting anyway to look at they way they used to do chemistry. I'm a baby chemist, so I'm still enthusiastic enough to read stuff about it in my own time.  
View Quote

Thank you for posting the links.  I actually have an original copy of the book and the patent posted in the OP is the one taken out by Dr. Louis Fieser, the author of the book.  The patent remained classified until 1952 or so.  

I have a degree in chemistry so I understand this thoroughly.  The chemistry is actually quite basic.  My plan is to go over not only the history of the development of Napalm but also how to manufacture it easily and safely.  I am very skilled at explaining things so people will definitely enjoy this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't got around to reading the book yet, I need to do so. It's not a terribly long piece.

The real fun with napalm will come when you build a flame thrower.

What's your specialty? I'm not at that stage yet, but depending on how my undergrad research goes the next couple semesters, I'm looking at nuclear chemistry. I'm lucky enough to live next to a university with a nuclear chemistry lab.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I haven't got around to reading the book yet, I need to do so. It's not a terribly long piece.

The real fun with napalm will come when you build a flame thrower.

What's your specialty?
I'm not at that stage yet, but depending on how my undergrad research goes the next couple semesters, I'm looking at nuclear chemistry. I'm lucky enough to live next to a university with a nuclear chemistry lab.
View Quote

I chose money over happiness and went to medical school.  

But seriously, nuclear chemistry sounds like a really interesting field.  Go all the way and get a PhD.  

I used to read chemistry books for fun.  I remember coming across the reagent Uranyl Zinc Acetate which precipitates as the sodium salt, one of the very few insoluble sodium salts out there.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My plan is to go over not only the history of the development of Napalm but also how to manufacture it easily and safely. I am very skilled at explaining things so people will definitely enjoy this.

View Quote

I'd consult an attorney on this part.

I was 3/4ths the way on a really, really good treatise on C4, had even been communicating with some museums and research facilities, when I realized it wasn't just a history but a blueprint for making it.

I thought on it for a long time, and decided to mothball the project. Way too risky in the current climate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was 3/4ths the way on a really, really good treatise on C4, had even been communicating with some museums and research facilities, when I realized it wasn't just a history but a blueprint for making it.

I thought on it for a long time, and decided to mothball the project. Way too risky in the current climate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My plan is to go over not only the history of the development of Napalm but also how to manufacture it easily and safely. I am very skilled at explaining things so people will definitely enjoy this.

I hear you.  Ironically, the process is detailed in the U.S. patent available on the U.S. patent website so it would really more of a summary of how they did it.  But you can never be too careful these days.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hear you.  Ironically, the process is detailed in the U.S. patent available on the U.S. patent website so it would really more of a summary of how they did it.  But you can never be too careful these days.

View Quote

Well, all of my research was from public sources.

But, we are pooling all the data in one place, and it's coming from an authoritative source. Like the difference between a knucklehead anonymous post on a bomb site, versus... what you'd be writing.

There's a Federal law against training people to make weapons of mass destruction. They are trying to ban snacking while driving. What would those types do about a person writing on this topic?

Maybe if you did it as a graduate paper or something, that would shelter you a great deal more. But I dunno, I'm more deliberative of things now that I once used to be.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But, we are pooling all the data in one place, and it's coming from an authoritative source. Like the difference between a knucklehead anonymous post on a bomb site, versus... what you'd be writing.

There's a Federal law against training people to make weapons of mass destruction. They are trying to ban snacking while driving. What would those types do about a person writing on this topic?

Maybe if you did it as a graduate paper or something, that would shelter you a great deal more. But I dunno, I'm more deliberative of things now that I once used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's ironic that you can get in trouble these days with writing out what's already in the open literature or U.S. patents.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]

I've been working on this slowly.  I've purchased a few different storm matches to experiment.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Update:  08/26/2017

Sad update.  It turns out that New Hampshire passed a law in ? 1973 that made Molotov Cocktails illegal to manufacture, even with BATFE approval.  My Form 1 was therefore denied.  I will post a picture of the form and also the $200 refund check, and a link to the law.

I still plan to go over the chemistry of gelling fuel with a Napalm mix, but I won't be able to construct an actual Molotov Cocktail.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Sadly, that was the outcome of all the efforts save a couple, to recreate my frag grenade. They dug up every esoteric and obscure state law and court ruling they could reference to deny the Form 1s.

Keep your chin up and keep being destructive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sadly, that was the outcome of all the efforts save a couple, to recreate my frag grenade. They dug up every esoteric and obscure state law and court ruling they could reference to deny the Form 1s.

Keep your chin up and keep being destructive.
View Quote
I will.  I know a state rep.  I wonder how easy it would be to modify the law to allow for construction with BATF approval?  I'll talk to him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Five-gallon jugs?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright stupid question time:

you submitting a form 1 for a molotov cocktail would allow you only 1 per stamp? Seems like ALOT of work for that
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Alright stupid question time:

you submitting a form 1 for a molotov cocktail would allow you only 1 per stamp? Seems like ALOT of work for that
View Quote
But every Form 1 stamp makes 200 liberals cry - and stealing their favorite improvised weapon legally makes them cry harder.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But every Form 1 stamp makes 200 liberals cry - and stealing their favorite improvised weapon legally makes them cry harder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Alright stupid question time:

Basically this ^^^

Also, having an approved Form 1 makes discussion of the topic less dicey.  I think discussing the filling would be fine.  

As a side note, I wasn't sure how to get the refund back and was procrastinating when he check showed up one day.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
OP,

Really sorry to hear you were denied because of your local/State law situation. That sucks.

I'm planning on Form 1-ing several glass bottles as Molotovs. I'm currently waiting on approval to re-activate an RPG-7. Have two title 1 M203 receivers from TMGO ordered that I'll be Form 1-ing next. Been Mortar shopping as well. Not sure yet on a 60mm or 81mm. Guess you could say I have the DD bug. I plan on having the bottles engraved with the serial numbers and Trust info (at correct size and depth) and leave them at that. Empty bottles that I can fill up and legally use whenever I want...though I won't. Will be more for the fun of adding them to the NFA collection. Things break down to the point that I am assembling Molotovs to use...the NFA or the Fed will be the last of my concerns.

Sounds like you are the only Doctor I'd answer (honestly) the "Guns in the house" question. Wish you were closer...I could use a cool, pro-gun/nfa items Medical Professional. Peace and Freedom to you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP,

Really sorry to hear you were denied because of your local/State law situation. That sucks.

I'm planning on Form 1-ing several glass bottles as Molotovs. I'm currently waiting on approval to re-activate an RPG-7. Have two title 1 M203 receivers from TMGO ordered that I'll be Form 1-ing next. Been Mortar shopping as well. Not sure yet on a 60mm or 81mm. Guess you could say I have the DD bug. I plan on having the bottles engraved with the serial numbers and Trust info (at correct size and depth) and leave them at that. Empty bottles that I can fill up and legally use whenever I want...though I won't. Will be more for the fun of adding them to the NFA collection. Things break down to the point that I am assembling Molotovs to use...the NFA or the Fed will be the last of my concerns.

Sounds like you are the only Doctor I'd answer (honestly) the "Guns in the house" question. Wish you were closer...I could use a cool, pro-gun/nfa items Medical Professional. Peace and Freedom to you.
View Quote
Thanks, man.  

I never even thought to look at state law at all here in NH.  I wonder how many other states don't allow Molotov Cocktails and the reasoning for passing the law?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
This is a picture of my Form 1 that was "disapproved".

I had put "87" for the serial number.

Below that is the $200 refund.  I kept procrastinating calling them up to find out how to get it when it showed up one day.

This is the referenced NH law against Molotov Cocktails:

TITLE XII
                                                                                           PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE
                                                                                                       CHAPTER 158
                                                                                        EXPLOSIVES AND EXPLOSIVE SUBSTANCES

Unlawful Use of Explosives

Section 158:37

158:37 Use of Molotov Cocktail; Penalty. – Whoever makes, sells, uses or has in his possession or under his control a bottle or other breakable container containing a flammable liquid into which has been fixed or placed a wick or similar device, and which bottle or container when ignited and thrown will cause a fire or explosion, shall be subject to the following penalty:
   I. If the offense occurs prior to November 1, 1973, he shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned for not more than 2 1/2 years, or both.
   II. If the offense occurs on or after November 1, 1973, he shall, if a natural person, be guilty of a Class B felony, and any other person shall be guilty of a felony.
   The provisions of this section shall not apply to flares, lanterns, fireworks or other such devices used for signal or illumination purposes, or items used for any other lawful purpose.

Source. 1973, 419:1, eff. Aug. 29, 1973.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I would frame that, and hang it in a place of honor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Indeed

I'm still planning to post info about the original Napalm formula.  You guys will love it because of its simplicity.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top