Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2023 7:30:21 PM EDT
Looking to buy one locally for a precision/varmint rifle. How accurate and reliable are they?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one. Not as accurate as i had hoped. Extraction issues also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got one in 22mag and 22lr.  I’ve been very happy with mine. The mags are just okay, but they’ve both been very accurate and super light weight.  I ended up with old Nikon 4x12 pro staff rimfire scopes and they pair perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Factory mkII mags suck.

CS Specs makes a much better version.

There's another company that makes a 3D printed mag for them too, they also suck.

Extraction issues tend to crop up in these guns, as stated. Savage sent me a few parts when I contacted them about how bad mine was. Much improved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the 93 minimalist in 17HMR. Pretty gun. Accurate, good trigger. Doesn’t feed worth a dang from the factory 10rd mags.

Have not had a single round that didn’t want to go chamber, fire, extract or eject. Only feeding failures, which is basically every other shot or worse. I have about a whole brick of various ammo through it.

I deal with it, because it’s just a death ray to any small game, so follow up shots aren’t much priority. It’s like a single shot rifle, with onboard cartridge storage.

Sounds like the 22lr versions feed better, but don’t like to extract.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
All of the heavy barrel Mk II bolt guns I've shot have been accurate.

However, avoid the plastic F stock like the plague - it is too flexy, and shooting position/pressure will cause flex and mess things up.

Also, when testing ammo, be sure to run 20-30 rounds of the "new" ammo before shooting for groups - two of my three Savages showed they needed that to "settle in" to shooting a particular ammo when fresh cleaned or after changing ammo/lube types.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Accuracy is good in all the Savages we shoot. Triggers are good.

When running lots of cheaper ammo, they start having extraction issues and require serious chamber cleaning regularly. I have not had this issue with rifles using CCI SV exclusively.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top