Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 4:49:45 PM EDT
Trying to find some reviews on how good a FH it is by itself, but most reviews just talk about how good a mount it is, or how good the GA taper lock system is, but little on how effective a FH it is (beyond some generic “works great” comments).  The length of the tines are a bit shorter than you typically see on standard prong type FHs, and was wondering how much of a difference it really makes on a 16” barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
works well on 11.5" no flash noticed at dim indoor range
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can try to take a video tonight before it gets pitch black dark (ie super late).  I live in a semi-to-mostly rural area where I can shoot but my closest neighbors are old folks and I don’t want to scare them out of their dentures

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I use it on 12.5” 5.56, and 8” 300 Blackout and 16” 6.5 Grendel.  There was daylight flash on the 5.56 with a bare muzzle, no noticeable flash with the 3-prong.  The other two I haven’t shot without muzzle devices in daylight , or after dark with.  The Griffin isn’t much different than the old 3-prong A1 FH that is effective on 16” barrels.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are multi-axis cnc machined geometries in the part that make it high performance.   The part is cut on an eight axis machine and the milled features use 4 axis and three axis motion on three different tool approach attitudes.  The A1 three prong had no multi-axis geometry (it was machined in simple one (z) axis motion of an end mill on an indexing spindle or second axis) and it  had to be blank firing adaptor compatible and both those attributes are reasons our flash suppressors can outperform A1 three prongs.

A lot of the features that make parts perform require complex cutting and asymmetric cutting and have little to do with being efficient for manufacturing time or cost.
View Quote

I know you guys are super busy, but would it be possible to try to get some low light pictures of bare muzzle vs minimalist FH vs EZ brake flash signature? Dead Air did this for their FH end caps, and it seems like it helped them sell a lot more products. It also showed the difference between a 5.56 cap and a 7.62 cap, but I'm not going to get greedy.

I would test these myself, but I have no access to private shooting property and the public ranges dont offer low light shooting opportunities.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know you guys are super busy, but would it be possible to try to get some low light pictures of bare muzzle vs minimalist FH vs EZ brake flash signature? Dead Air did this for their FH end caps, and it seems like it helped them sell a lot more products. It also showed the difference between a 5.56 cap and a 7.62 cap, but I'm not going to get greedy.

I would test these myself, but I have no access to private shooting property and the public ranges dont offer low light shooting opportunities.
View Quote

The muzzle jewelry product niche is quite different from suppressor front cap accessories. Somebody who shelled out 1k$ for a can and 1-3k$ for NODS will pay extra for a FH front cap and that cap’s existence doesn’t threaten competing products in the line.  Testing products for flash leads to comparisons that might put more expensive, more exotic looking muzzle devices to shame.  Selling more of the very effective 3-prong FHs could cut into the sales of more expensive muzzle devices.

Better to let the consumer have plenty of choices and decide for themselves where happiness lies. Most people don’t shoot frequently, if at all, in the dark.  Most aren’t in need of comps/brakes because they are not world class 3-gun champs with 0.15 sec split times. Many people prefer heavier, louder, flashier muzzle bling.  Even if they’d be better served by a lighter, simpler device.  

These comments aren’t directed at Griffin.  Their producing a readily available A2 mount that works on a ten dollar common birdcage flash hider shows they are willing to compete against their own products.  Good testing of flash would involve multiple barrel lengths, cartridge brands, calibers, etc.  Manufacturers might consider the results of such testing proprietary information as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The muzzle jewelry product niche is quite different from suppressor front cap accessories. Somebody who shelled out 1k$ for a can and 1-3k$ for NODS will pay extra for a FH front cap and that cap’s existence doesn’t threaten competing products in the line.  Testing products for flash leads to comparisons that might put more expensive, more exotic looking muzzle devices to shame.  Selling more of the very effective 3-prong FHs could cut into the sales of more expensive muzzle devices.

Better to let the consumer have plenty of choices and decide for themselves where happiness lies. Most people don’t shoot frequently, if at all, in the dark.  Most aren’t in need of comps/brakes because they are not world class 3-gun champs with 0.15 sec split times. Many people prefer heavier, louder, flashier muzzle bling.  Even if they’d be better served by a lighter, simpler device.  

These comments aren’t directed at Griffin.  Their producing a readily available A2 mount that works on a ten dollar common birdcage flash hider shows they are willing to compete against their own products.  Good testing of flash would involve multiple barrel lengths, cartridge brands, calibers, etc.  Manufacturers might consider the results of such testing proprietary information as well.
View Quote

Yeah I figured it was a long shot. For those of us who dont have an opportunity to test our home defense rigs in low light, we might be unpleasantly surprised in the small chance that we have to use it. I personally think a good weapon mounted light would be more effective than NODS for indoor home defense, so I am mainly concerned with the potential disorientation of flash to the naked eye in low light conditions where a flashlight would be used to identify the threat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top