Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2021 7:28:04 PM EDT
I am trying to find a set of electronic earpro that has the best sound amplification and sound directionality, the few things I've heard about this is headset is its incredible sound amplification, and a little about its 3d surround sound. Does anyone here have any hands on experience with this headset, and if so, do you also have any experience with the Ops-core AMP as well? How does the OTTO stack up to the AMP in regards to sound directionality/amplification?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the OTTO Com Tac .  Super quality, makes Peltor look like air-soft gear. Sound quality is fantastic. The only gripe I have is with the battery cover and the factory helmet mounting solution.  The design should have gone with a screw type battery compartment  like the Ops Core AMP rather than the rubber cover thingy but that's just my opinion .

Only issue ......The OTTO helmet mounts depending on your head and helmet set up may or may NOT work very well when trying to position the headset into place.   The metal wiring design doesn't leave enough room on my melon head  to make use of the "snap into place " feature so I just leave closed against my head.  This is a pain in hot weather when not using coms but it's its just the way my set up fits me.  I've used the AMP and I would say for high speed low drag it has the edge as being more compact with a high-cut helmet etc. with a better helmet mounting solution .  The 3D sound quality between the 2 is difficult to determine, both sound great !  NOTE :  OTTO offers additional MICs for use with civi radios if you don't want to use a military impedance adapter.    OTTO is cheaper than the AMP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks for the review. So in your opinion the OTTO and AMP have nearly indistinguishable sound performance, with the AMP having an edge in form factor and helmet mount options? How does that form factor difference effect shoulding and sight picture with the OTTO vs the AMP?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a good one.  I would say to be safe go with the AMP.  The MIC mounting position on the OTTO places it underneath the ear-cup.  Again depending on your shooting style and bone structure it may not be the best solution as the MIC mount will ride on the stock not allowing the best sight picture depending.  

So there I'll say it  OTTO missed the mark on shooting ergonomics a little.

The OTTO is fantastic kit, as well made as any top notch product available but the design ergonomics are lacking if things don't align into place.   OTTO reminds of the old Motorola solid built quality.  You can feel it just holding it your hands that this is well made stuff.   The water proof aspect is another.  I think the OTTO is to a higher standard than the AMP but I could be wrong.  Who knows they may make some modifications to the OTTO in time but as of now and if you have the extra coin buy once cry once I say go with the AMP all things considered.   Now it has been done that people are using the AMP helmet mounts to adapt other headsets so if for what ever reason you decide on the OTTO you might be able to use the AMP helmet arms as I have seen some neat rigging as of late on Peltors , Sordins etc.

Some of this fan boy stuff we use is really not worth what we are paying for, Work, hobby or whatever and Ops Core is going with the traffic so just be ready to pay an additional $200 over the OTTO if you can even find it right now.

Again the sound quality of both are super.

OTTO = basic range work tough as nails  

AMP = high speed down range operator who may need the edge.  Helmet mounting is a big plus.

At my age I need all the help I can get ............  

I hope I've been able to give you some non-professional insight but at the end of the day it's what ever fits you best and what you want to invest.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
@Visigothic

Is the helmet kit worth getting? How easy is it to swap between the headband and helmet kit?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am trying to find a set of electronic earpro that has the best sound amplification and sound directionality, the few things I've heard about this is headset is its incredible sound amplification, and a little about its 3d surround sound. Does anyone here have any hands on experience with this headset, and if so, do you also have any experience with the Ops-core AMP as well? How does the OTTO stack up to the AMP in regards to sound directionality/amplification?
View Quote

I have the OTTO ear plugs and ops core  AMP with NFMI. They serve very different purposes. The AMP are my combat hearing pro, the OTTO ear plugs are what I wear when hunting.

The audio quality of both are excellent. OTTo is slightly better because there is no over ear pro. With the OTTo, it's easy to forget you are wearing anything at all.  

the limitation of both is that the sound of wind is over amplified
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The helmet rail kit is is $99.  You can try running it under your cover old school style and hope not to get a headache, if it works that way and your comfortable forget about the rail mount kit and save the $99.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have the OTTO ear plugs and ops core  AMP with NFMI. They serve very different purposes. The AMP are my combat hearing pro, the OTTO ear plugs are what I wear when hunting.

The audio quality of both are excellent. OTTo is slightly better because there is no over ear pro. With the OTTo, it's easy to forget you are wearing anything at all.  

the limitation of both is that the sound of wind is over amplified
View Quote

I'm looking at the OTTO headset, not the plugs, but thanks for the reply anyways. For the AMP headset, how high can you crank the noise amplification? A user on reddit with the OTTO headset mentioned they could hear their kitten walking on carpet downstairs with them cranked up to max and the only magazine review of them said, albeit hyperbolically, that at max "you can hear the electricity moving through the wires in the headset". How does the AMP stack up to these claims?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Just sent the Ottos back to BDU who thankfully took them as a Return! Wrote a novel on them in another Thread so I'll find it. IMHO:
Great Innovative/Forward thinking concept. Insufficient T&E to get em right. TBC....
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#9]
As I stated, this Thread has some "different" views on the Otto's which were NOT something I liked and sent back. One Member here really likes them and I even reached out to him for his "Secret" that still didn't work for me (Foam Ear Pieces from Amazon) which sit unused in my drawer. Hope this helps you.

Another Best Ear Pro Thread......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top