Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2022 5:44:57 PM EDT
I'm looking for a lower-profile housing than the BNVD-SG Ultralight I'm currently using.  I'll have to give up manual gain but I don't think that feature is actually very useful with high-spec tubes.  Anyone have any experience using them?  Thoughts?

What kind of adapter do you need for the battery if you get the "LEMO" option?  Is it the same as ANVIS, or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested aswell
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Another Member wrote a pretty impressive thread on Katana's. He may even chime in to answer your questions.

Katana Review
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Theres a video of the owner Jeff conducting a drop test of one of the early generation housings. Drops a set of GP tubes (turned on) from six feet on to concrete five times to get different point of the housing on impact.

Unit still worked after the five drops. That not something may other housings would be able to match.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve owned the Katana for a few months now, and I gotta say I’m very pleased. Coming from the sentinel, this unit offers a lot of features in a low profile lightweight design. Also the customer service has been absolutely top notch! Best of luck deciding
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve owned the Katana for a few months now, and I gotta say I’m very pleased. Coming from the sentinel, this unit offers a lot of features in a low profile lightweight design. Also the customer service has been absolutely top notch! Best of luck deciding
View Quote

What features do you speak of? I've been intrigued by them. Any chance you can share some pics of it? Does the push button actuate like a Surefire Clicky Cap or what?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a lower-profile housing than the BNVD-SG Ultralight I'm currently using.  I'll have to give up manual gain but I don't think that feature is actually very useful with high-spec tubes.  Anyone have any experience using them?  Thoughts?

What kind of adapter do you need for the battery if you get the "LEMO" option?  Is it the same as ANVIS, or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!
View Quote

I use the manual gain function on any set of binos i own that has the function. It is completely needed? probably not, but I do use it.

the LEMO adapter in question should be a 304 0b push/pull style connector that ANVIS mounts also use, but typically the wires on the Anvis packs are a bit short for use with some of these other housings unless you mount the pack on the very top of your head or something.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Size-wise, how does the Katana compare to the AIB DTNVS?  Is it bigger?  Smaller?  (Does anyone know?)

I've been somewhat spoiled by the low-profile form factor of my Harris F5032s (see pic) -- but you can't get that housing with L3 tubes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been pleased with mine, Gunny - thanks for sharing the thread. I keep hearing this rumor about the push button, not sure where it comes from but I still don’t see how it could be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG_1565-2541033.jpg

Took mine with me to the range last night. Had to zero a couple of lasers on some loaner rifles for our next NV class.

Waiting for it to get dark sucks but I love any time in the woods so I just walked around for 20 minutes.

Got the IR lasers zeroed quickly, did some shooting to confirm and drove the 5 minutes home in my Ranger under the Katanas.

Great unit.

In the pic the mount is a converted Rhino. I grabbed the wrong helmet when I was leaving the house and meant to grab one with a Lo Sto on it. The Lo Sto holds it much tighter to the helmet.
View Quote
What light source did you use for illumination during this drive home Robert? Is your Ranger outfitted with an IR light bar out front?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Hi Augee,

That's very interesting. Taking the PVS-31As as an example, there is certain "internet lore" that the l3 bnvd is, to an extent, less robust comparatively to other housings on the market. Warranted or not.

With these being issued to people who would actually put them thru hard use, the perception may be skewed towards the latter.

But it seems counter intuitive to not mention such details in the product literature, or at least all the ones I have seen.

If you can offer some references on this subject, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the tips, I'm aware of the MIL-STD-810G tests and DTNVS' are an example of a housing that openly advertises that their housing meets and exceeds the specs.

I can't find in L3's literature where they alluded to such testing.

This is also where it gets more confusing, from what I can find (perhaps my Google fu is weak) the MIL-STD-810G is a 2m drop on to plywood over concrete.

Many would say dropping something onto bare concrete is a far harsher test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top