Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 4:00:25 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what your results were.

Update: (sorry about the flipped pics, I don’t know how to fix that)

So, they size down quite easily with a Lee .309 sizing die and Hornady OneShot spray lube.

Pre
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've sized down Nosler FMJ bullets from .310 to .308 for 300blk using a RCBS bullet sizing die. Easy to do. I haven't sized Gold dots but can't imagine it would be any different.

Some don't bother to resize for 300blk, but I've read that accuracy is better. Haven't had a chance to fire the bullets I've resized through my 300blk pistol yet. A ladder load is waiting for the range to open up again.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an NOE sizer and a Lee. I’m confident in either as far as sizing goes, just am not sure if the Gold Dot design will allow for it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm out of TNT's to compare them to, but I remember them having a pretty similar profile to the Speer 125 TNT, and this is where I'd start for load data.  Sizing them down a couple thousandths shouldn't be any issue. They should expand pretty well at .300 Blk velocity, though I don't know how they'd do once they've lost a little steam further out.

This one was fired from a 7.62x39 pistol.  MV was about 2200 (fairly close to what I'd expect with the Blackout).  Caught in wet pack at 50y.  You may not get quite the same velocity, but I'd say the higher RPM (.300 blk usually has a much faster twist rate) might compensate for the slight decrease in velocity.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Naporter:
I'm out of TNT's to compare them to, but I remember them having a pretty similar profile to the Speer 125 TNT, and this is where I'd start for load data.  Sizing them down a couple thousandths shouldn't be any issue. They should expand pretty well at .300 Blk velocity, though I don't know how they'd do once they've lost a little steam further out. 

This one was fired from a 7.62x39 pistol.  MV was about 2200 (fairly close to what I'd expect with the Blackout).  Caught in wet pack at 50y.  You may not get quite the same velocity, but I'd say the higher RPM (.300 blk usually has a much faster twist rate) might compensate for the slight decrease in velocity. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468179/1A7A649E-827D-41E5-99DD-3C5EFBB97C0B-1073439.jpg
View Quote

Thank you. I think I’ll buy several boxes and try them out. I love the TNTs. I really think Speer needs to release a lighter weight 300 AAC GD. 300 AAC is such an easy reload.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been sizing down a bunch of 310/311 bullets lately in a Lee die. They are all jacketed and come out to .3085" which is close enough.

Just a word to the wise, make sure you are using a tough press. I wouldn't want to attempt sizing down the jacketed bullets .003 on a hand press or anything like that.

I've been using the Hornady wax (Imperial knock off) to size and it seems to work swimmingly. The bullets go in the wet tumbler with just water/Dawn/Lemishine for an hour and they're GTG.

ETA - I've been getting crazy accuracy in 308 Win. out of some mil-surp bullets that shouldn't theoretically shoot that well. They never shot that well in a 7.62x39 that will shoot other bullets exceptionally well anyway...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lokifox:
I've been sizing down a bunch of 310/311 bullets lately in a Lee die. They are all jacketed and come out to .3085" which is close enough.

Just a word to the wise, make sure you are using a tough press. I wouldn't want to attempt sizing down the jacketed bullets .003 on a hand press or anything like that.

I've been using the Hornady wax (Imperial knock off) to size and it seems to work swimmingly. The bullets go in the wet tumbler with just water/Dawn/Lemishine for an hour and they're GTG.

ETA - I've been getting crazy accuracy in 308 Win. out of some mil-surp bullets that shouldn't theoretically shoot that well. They never shot that well in a 7.62x39 that will shoot other bullets exceptionally well anyway...
View Quote

Rockchucker. Should handle it, I hope.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]

ETA - I've been getting crazy accuracy in 308 Win. out of some mil-surp bullets that shouldn't theoretically shoot that well. They never shot that well in a 7.62x39 that will shoot other bullets exceptionally well anyway...
View Quote

Perhaps the bullets are inconsistent in 310/311 diameter across the full bearing surface and after resizing become consistent at .3085.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Perhaps the bullets are inconsistent in 310/311 diameter across the full bearing surface and after resizing become consistent at .3085.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Perhaps the bullets are inconsistent in 310/311 diameter across the full bearing surface and after resizing become consistent at .3085.

Nope they're all pretty darn consistent. I should have said 310 and 311 bullets, I've been doing both.

All I can think is exactly what you said though, the bearing surface is really squeezing down the bore in the 308 and providing better accuracy.

The 7.62x39 barrel is from he who shall not be named here per rules, and is a properly made tack driver.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Nope they're all pretty darn consistent. I should have said 310 and 311 bullets, I've been doing both.

All I can think is exactly what you said though, the bearing surface is really squeezing down the bore in the 308 and providing better accuracy.

The 7.62x39 barrel is from he who shall not be named here per rules, and is a properly made tack driver.
View Quote

I might have misunderstood.... did you resize the 310 and 311 to .3085 before loading a 308 round or just use the bullets unsized?

Yeah, that's a good one. Too bad he's not making X39 bolts and barrels anymore. I would get those in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
So, they size down quite easily with a Lee .309 sizing die and Hornady OneShot spray lube.

Pre
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top