Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2019 6:02:06 PM EDT
Been thinking about a setup like this, but can't find too many pictures of it. Looking at maybe a fixed stock, 16" FAL with a Dead Air Keymo brake or maybe the FCD 6310KM A2 flash suppressor mount running my Sandman S. Might also put a DSA optic rail up top with a micro dot of some sort, but then again I may keep it irons-only for aesthetic reasons...

The one issue I kinda see right away is that DSA threads thier FAL's in the original 9/16x24LH pattern, so assuming there's enough meat on the barrel I'll have to send it off to be rethreaded to 5/8x24RH. I've also heard that even with the generous adjustable gas settings, they're still a little overgassed for suppressor use, even on the lowest settings.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think some suppressor companies make a mount in the LH thread pattern that comes on the FAL.
I'm not sure, but I think it was YHM.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
YHM makes a LH flash hider for their QD cans for the FAL. I had a guy on the FALfiles modify a gas plug for mine so that when it's suppressed it used a lot less gas then the system alone could meter out..

Helpful Hint: Modified Gas Plug for Suppressing the FN FAL
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
@Chase45 might be helpful here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Some friends and I were testing cans and FALs last weekend and I think the majority could run with a smaller hole in the modified plug.

I'll probably try 3/64" or so on the next one I modify and test it.

Never had anyone complain about the gas, and on my FAL I made the original plug for, the 5/64" is fine, but shooting a few more I am convinced the hole can and should be smaller.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I suppressed my Para FAL with 16" barrel and short gas system. Used a modified gas plug. Runs fine for the most part. But I noticed the gas piston spring got bunched up a bit. Might be a tad over-gassed. Just stretched the spring back out and it's fine again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
With a modified/custom gas plug, suppressing the FAL works just fine.  But don't expect it to be hearing safe.  Shooter's ear levels are gonna be 145+ dB with any can due to the open gas system.

I suppressed my SA58 para carbine, and of course I like it better that way, but ear pro is still mandatory.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With a modified/custom gas plug, suppressing the FAL works just fine.  But don't expect it to be hearing safe.  Shooter's ear levels are gonna be 145+ dB with any can due to the open gas system.

I suppressed my SA58 para carbine, and of course I like it better that way, but ear pro is still mandatory.
View Quote
I intend to do a custom gas system FAL that won't have the bleed system they normally have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think some suppressor companies make a mount in the LH thread pattern that comes on the FAL.
I'm not sure, but I think it was YHM.  
View Quote
AAC has the 51t series in 9/16LH too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top