Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 8:53:24 PM EDT
Looking for some first world feedback from those of you who own one or have shot one. I know they are copies of the S&W 76.

How do you like yours? Any issues? What mags are compatible with it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an MK760 and love it, very controllable, the stock wobbles on all of them, but it does not affect accuracy in my opinion.  I thought the cyclic rate would be an issue but it actually is a perfect and easily controllable it’s little recoil......magazines are available, get the Soumi mags and have Scot from SA machine convert the and you are all set,   An under rated MG and I am not sure how long they will fly under the radar....
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for info specifically on the MK760 or the S&W76/MK760 since they are essentially identical?

My experience with my S&W 76 - Incredibly reliable, very smooth, very quiet suppressed, balances well, not very accurate, Suomi/Swedish K mags can be easily fitted with a file in a matter of minutes, parts are nearly impossible to find
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: parts are nearly impossible to find
View Quote
BWE said they are making sears and bolts for them and they should be released this year. Plus they have other parts and barrels for them already.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

BWE said they are making sears and bolts for them and they should be released this year. Plus they have other parts and barrels for them already.
View Quote
"Should be" being the operative word. I have nothing against BWE whatsoever (I have Richard's 8" 1/2x28 barrel in my 76 and it runs great), but in this hobby I do not consider parts to be available until they are actually available. I hope BWE has their bolts available soon in which case I'm sure the quality will be top notch just like their barrel, but as it currently stands good luck finding a replacement bolt/barrel nut retaining latch/FCG/etc. As I mentioned in a recent thread on uzitalk, I watched for several years for a replacement bolt to come up for sale and only saw one which IIRC sold for just under $1,000.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you looking for info specifically on the MK760 or the S&W76/MK760 since they are essentially identical?

My experience with my S&W 76 - Incredibly reliable, very smooth, very quiet suppressed, balances well, not very accurate, Suomi/Swedish K mags can be easily fitted with a file in a matter of minutes, parts are nearly impossible to find
View Quote
I have a line on a mk 760, but would love to hear any and all experiences with the mk 760 or S&w76.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Smith & Wesson 76.   From a design perspective its a pretty standard tube based submachinegun but does come with some refinements over previous generation tube guns.

Mine shoots really well and is very smooth.  Its not an MP5 in terms of shootability.... but I can put all 30 rounds in a single mag dump onto a half size IPSC siloutte steel target at ~35 yards without breaking a sweat.

I actually prefer the Smith76 over the full size Uzi, but I suspect I am in the minority in that opinion.  My only real complaint is the trigger is heavy, but that's a fairly common issue on most open bolt subguns where a large sear has to be pulled down and out of the way of the bolt.

Only thing I need is to find a Gemtech SG9 suppressor for it one day.

I can't speak to the MK760 version but I have no regrets on adding an actual Smith made version to my collection.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a S&W 76 and I am very pleased with it. I am in my 3rd year of ownership.
-It is slightly on the hefty side with its heavy gauge steel tube, but with that it offers smooth full auto operation with little recoil
-It will eat any type of decent quality ammo , 115 gr 124gr, 147gr, have not tried 158gr subsonic
-rate of fire is robust but perfect in my mind
-it can get real dirty, and still function. It has special sand cuts in the inner tube surface
-accuracy is very good - I can punch the head out of silhouette targets at my local indoor range at 15 yards plus.
-parts are a scarcity but Richard at BWE is beginning to fill the void. I have bought a number of his spare parts so far.
-watch for trigger bar wear. This seems to be a long term / high use wear issue, but I have seen no replacement trigger bars anywhere
-extractors can wear rather fast, so always have a few in your inventory
-Nearly all of this applies to the MK760, but I'm not sure on the accuracy part, because I have read criticism on that in the past.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an MK760 for a few years. As already said, modified Suomi mags will work in it. They are 36 round magazines, but I always loaded mine to 30.

Inspect it carefully before you buy. If you shoot them long enough with hot ammo without any kind of buffer, the pin hole at the rear of the receiver that holds the block that covers the recoil spring will oval and the rear pin could possibly bounce out and you’ll get a face full of recoil spring and bolt.

When you shoot one, don’t hold it by the magazine like they do in the movies. It will jam if you do. IIRC the factory recoil spring is a 22 lb  spring. If you want to shoot ammo like Wolf, get an 18 lb spring. Much more reliable with weaker ammo and less wear and tear on the gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Stamp came back last July, but I didn’t get to shoot it before, I was deployed again, my second day at the MOB site, my Uzi stamp came back
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Shops close to me has a stemple sw76 for under 8k I think. Handled it when I was in there last week. Felt good and looked good I noticed 2 things about it tho. The locking bar that keeps the barrel nut locked into place was worn out and the nut could be turned. Not sure if that is a big issue or  not. And when the employee put the mag back into it and hung it on the wall the mag fell out and I watched him place it back in and it looked super finicky unsure if it’s due to crappy old mag or loose janky mag well.

Overall I like it. Think I want a sten as my second MG tho.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Only advice I can give you is to see it run " before " you buy it!  I had an MK760 years ago and it was a jam-o-matic.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you haven't read the "Tell me about the S&W M76" post -nine listings below this one. there is some helpful information there.

Also, the mentioned Frank Iannamico's book: The Smith & Wesson M76 Submachinegun also has a section specifically on the MK760.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shops close to me has a stemple sw76 for under 8k I think. Handled it when I was in there last week. Felt good and looked good I noticed 2 things about it tho. The locking bar that keeps the barrel nut locked into place was worn out and the nut could be turned. Not sure if that is a big issue or  not. And when the employee put the mag back into it and hung it on the wall the mag fell out and I watched him place it back in and it looked super finicky unsure if it’s due to crappy old mag or loose janky mag well.

Overall I like it. Think I want a sten as my second MG tho.
View Quote
I researched the Stemples years back before I bought my S&W 76, and while it is within the same family as the S&W 76 it's a pretty distance cousin. Aside from looking similar the parts mostly don't interchange, plus the bolts were made out of a softer non-heat treated metal and are prone to peening. Having said that I also understand that they can be converted into other platforms with nearly only the tube receiver remaining as the original part (obviously.)
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Only advice I can give you is to see it run " before " you buy it!  I had an MK760 years ago and it was a jam-o-matic.....
View Quote
The above was true then. My local FFL told me that the manufactor never made a decent magazine for the m760 and this was why they wouldn't run. The dealer I bought the gun from in Maryland told me the 760 was ammunition finicky and sent me 2 mags, one of which had been "fitted" beyond use. I never tried either mag, by then the magazine ban had expired and good 36 rd mags were available in quantity for $10 each. The mag wells vary in size and some mags must be held a little to the front or rear to function. My mk760 will operate on any 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top