Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just bought two.  One's an FDE 20" 5.56 front eject and another FDE FE chassis for a 308 kit as soon as I can find one.

I'll Form 1 one of these for the Micron kit to run with a Turbo K.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked one up.  The reliability has been 100%.  It's running quite well and has a lot of neat features.   After running an overgassed AUG, the 6-position MDR gas system is a welcome change.  

In 6.5 Creedmoor, the recoil is good, and the trigger is... fine.  It's better than an AUG trigger, even with 2020 sear; but it's no national match 2-stage trigger either.  It still has a fair bit of creep.  But it works OK.   Beware, the MDR is pretty heavy.  

My biggest issue right now is accuracy.  I sent a note to Desert Tech, so we'll see what they say.  But in two outings, and taking care to inspect everything, and torque everything per manual, here's the typical accuracy I'm getting.  So while the parts people complain about (reliability and such) haven't been a problem at all, I'm not really happy with the accuracy right now.  POI shift is intense.  If you look at the first image, the left target was shot with medium power 140 gr loads at 100 yards.  And the right group has the same sight settings, but shot with a warm 143 gr load.  That's a 6 MOA POI shift between those two loads.

[Someone asked - the analysis App is RangeBuddy]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
TFB TV recently posted this...

"A Year with the Desert Tech MDRX (Review)"

A Year with the Desert Tech MDRX (Review)
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]
IBiggest issues I have heard in the mdrx forum seem to release to the bolt and the mag release. Easy fixes for both. If the mag isn’t seating properly you remove the mag release and shape it a bit with a mallet and it’s good to go. On the bolt you file down the extractor pin if it’s protruding and that should fix cycling issues. Neither should be an issue with a 2k gun but that said if it helps those are main issues from what I understand as the gas system should be good to go now with new blocks. Also from what I hear the side eject is a bit less problematic although in my view that kills one of the main benefits of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TFB TV recently posted this...

"A Year with the Desert Tech MDRX (Review)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUr-JEJoufg
View Quote

I thought this was a very good review, and agree with both the praises and the complaints, except for accuracy.  My MDRx is currently a 3-4 MOA rifle, not the 1 MOA implied by the video.  Which is kind of a big deal.

And I agree, the 1 picattiny rail on top of the gas block is one of those "neat idea's" that seemed clever in design, but in practice is just a bad idea, and should be abandoned.  But it's also not a big deal, just ignore it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought this was a very good review, and agree with both the praises and the complaints, except for accuracy.  My MDRx is currently a 3-4 MOA rifle, not the 1 MOA implied by the video.  Which is kind of a big deal.

And I agree, the 1 picattiny rail on top of the gas block is one of those "neat idea's" that seemed clever in design, but in practice is just a bad idea, and should be abandoned.  But it's also not a big deal, just ignore it.
View Quote
The POI shift you experienced could be rationalized as the rifle just doesn't like that load. That happens sometimes.

However, the brochure that came with the rifle promises 1.5MOA accuracy in multiple places. That is a big deal. For the cost and design of this rifle, it should be doing better than 2MOA as the rule rather than the exception. 3-4MOA is 7.62x39 AK accuracy.

That little rail on the gas block either needs to be large enough to accommodate an Aimpoint T1 mount or done away with entirely. James' recommendation to put a rail cover over it is not a bad idea.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Picked one up.  The reliability has been 100%.  It's running quite well and has a lot of neat features.   After running an overgassed AUG, the 6-position MDR gas system is a welcome change.  

In 6.5 Creedmoor, the recoil is good, and the trigger is... fine.  It's better than an AUG trigger, even with 2020 sear; but it's no national match 2-stage trigger either.  It still has a fair bit of creep.  But it works OK.   Beware, the MDR is pretty heavy.  

My biggest issue right now is accuracy.  I sent a note to Desert Tech, so we'll see what they say.  But in two outings, and taking care to inspect everything, and torque everything per manual, here's the typical accuracy I'm getting.  So while the parts people complain about (reliability and such) haven't been a problem at all, I'm not really happy with the accuracy right now.  POI shift is intense.  If you look at the first image, the left target was shot with medium power 140 gr loads at 100 yards.  And the right group has the same sight settings, but shot with a warm 143 gr load.  That's a 6 MOA POI shift between those two loads.

https://i.postimg.cc/WpWxCdfK/20210327-124910.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zXq3tP6p/Screenshot-20210325-065836-Range-Buddy.jpg

View Quote

So far, no reply from Desert Tech.  It's only now Monday, so I'm not all that concerned yet.  Here's hopeing they get back to me.  Here's hoping it's something easy like (Oh yea, you have to overtorque the screws more than we said)or somethihng like that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So far, no reply from Desert Tech.  It's only now Monday, so I'm not all that concerned yet.  Here's hopeing they get back to me.  Here's hoping it's something easy like (Oh yea, you have to overtorque the screws more than we said)or somethihng like that.
View Quote

Send ColdBoreMiracle a PM over on the BP Forum.  Jeff should be able to give some tips and pointers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I saw their “shot show” special about the Micron and I have to say I’m sort of interested again.

https://deserttech.com/rework_assets/images/micron/[email protected]
https://deserttech.com/rework_assets/images/micron/[email protected]

19.9” vs 23.4”

That’s pretty damn small for an 11.5” 556. No, it’s not going to reload or clear malfunctions as well. And all of this is ignoring Desert Tech’s failure on round1.

These are side eject now so it seems at least to me that it could be worth a try. Or I’m just a sucker! Anyone as dumb as I probably am?
View Quote

One thing I've found is there's a point of diminishing returns with length reduction.

At 27", the 16" AUG is the same length as a H&K MP5 with the stock extended. Most folks with an MP5 wouldn't want the gun much shorter.

Likewise with the AUG and X95, I've never found myself wishing it was shorter. Especially given the increased blast of 11.5 vs 16", and the SBR hassle.

I could see it being awesome with an integrally suppressed barrel, so that the gun is 26-27" OAL and not registered as a SBR. Something like a pinned and welded Brevis.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One thing I've found is there's a point of diminishing returns with length reduction.

At 27", the 16" AUG is the same length as a H&K MP5 with the stock extended. Most folks with an MP5 wouldn't want the gun much shorter.

Likewise with the AUG and X95, I've never found myself wishing it was shorter. Especially given the increased blast of 11.5 vs 16", and the SBR hassle.

I could see it being awesome with an integrally suppressed barrel, so that the gun is 26-27" OAL and not registered as a SBR. Something like a pinned and welded Brevis.
View Quote
My plan is to run it nearly exclusively with a suppressor. I would have gone with the 16" if I wasn't suppressing it.

With a YHM Turbo K mounted, the 11.5" barreled MDR will still be right about the same OAL (28-29") as an unsuppressed 10.5" barreled AR15 SBR or pistol. (Personally, I wish they would have went with a 12.5" barrel, but it's fine as is)

Plus the rear weight bias of the bullpup should more than offset the added weight of a suppressor, weapon light, etc, out front.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My plan is to run it nearly exclusively with a suppressor. I would have gone with the 16" if I wasn't suppressing it.

With a YHM Turbo K mounted, the 11.5" barreled MDR will still be right about the same OAL (28-29") as an unsuppressed 10.5" barreled AR15 SBR or pistol. (Personally, I wish they would have went with a 12.5" barrel, but it's fine as is)

Plus the rear weight bias of the bullpup should more than offset the added weight of a suppressor, weapon light, etc, out front.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds great. For suppressed use, the SBR config makes total sense. And bullpups, due to the rearward weight balance + inherent shortness, are the ideal suppressor host (at least if manufacturers actually make suppressor friendly bullpups.)

The RM277 20" 6.8x51 bullpup w/ suppressor is a good bit shorter then a 16" conventional 5.56 rifle, as an example.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sounds great. For suppressed use, the SBR config makes total sense. And bullpups, due to the rearward weight balance + inherent shortness, are the ideal suppressor host (at least if manufacturers actually make suppressor friendly bullpups.)
View Quote
Yeah I can't wait to get it all together. The Form 1 for the SBR is easy. Waiting on the Form 4 for my Turbo K is killing me.

Desert Tech is suppressor friendly at least. They have an optional handguard designed to fit over a suppressor (at least for the 16", not sure if it would work with the Micron). They have a suppressor setting on the gas block. Everything has a good shoulder behind the threads. From what I hear it controls gas and back pressure well. The Micron looks perfect for this.

I think this is where IWI really screwed up with the US market at least. Very minor changes could have made the X95 a winner here, and they even have an SBR and a 9mm conversion for it. The Tavor 7 is supposedly much better suppressed, but it doesn't have the cool options of the X95 or the MDR.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I can't wait to get it all together. The Form 1 for the SBR is easy. Waiting on the Form 4 for my Turbo K is killing me.

Desert Tech is suppressor friendly at least. They have an optional handguard designed to fit over a suppressor (at least for the 16", not sure if it would work with the Micron). They have a suppressor setting on the gas block. Everything has a good shoulder behind the threads. From what I hear it controls gas and back pressure well. The Micron looks perfect for this.

I think this is where IWI really screwed up with the US market at least. Very minor changes could have made the X95 a winner here, and they even have an SBR and a 9mm conversion for it. The Tavor 7 is supposedly much better suppressed, but it doesn't have the cool options of the X95 or the MDR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a company come out with a new suppressor optimized adjustable gas block for the Tavor X95.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a company come out with a new suppressor optimized adjustable gas block for the Tavor X95.
View Quote

Yeah. I agree. Imagine a Superlative on there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Heavier, more expensive, less reliable, less accurate.  Why would anybody not buy the MDR over other bullpups?  Sheep...
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would BUY THIS!

What? Where are you getting this from? I love my B&T guns and so do nearly all users (even .mil too).

Ignore it, dude has a serious case of
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/225/041/tumblr_lwudgwhIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg

Yeah, this guy can’t make a single post without trashing B&T.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW I picked mine up and put a few boxes through it the other day. It produced a three-shot 3/4inch group at 150yd with Black Hills 175gr. Magtech M80 was a little under 2" five shot group

The way Desert Tech handled owning the initial issues and customer service made me take a second look at this. So far very happy. A lot of value for actually a lightweight modern 16" .308 with an adjustable gas system that can cycle without issue even cheap M80 meant for 20" barrels. Maybe a hidden gem right now
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/WpWxCdfK/20210327-124910.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zXq3tP6p/Screenshot-20210325-065836-Range-Buddy.jpg

To follow-up, they sent me a return label and offered to take a look at my units poor accuracy issue, as viewed as non-typical, with No promises, but could be a worse start - we'll see!  I'll post how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Paid for my MDRx in November 2020 with an estimated delivery date of 16 Jan 2021. January goes by and then told early March. March goes by and then told May. May has now gone by and am told July. WTF over...
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No way. Sorry.

My friend is still having issues with his new side eject MDRx...just like he did with the gen 1 MDR .308 ...

To DT's credit they haven't given up and I think they will get things undercontrol and if this is a range gun only for you...than get one...

Their CS is still spotty ...
View Quote
What issues is he having?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Paid for my MDRx in November 2020 with an estimated delivery date of 16 Jan 2021. January goes by and then told early March. March goes by and then told May. May has now gone by and am told July. WTF over...
View Quote
That doesn't seem good. When I get one I'm planning to get it from a reseller that has it in stock. Normally I always buy stuff from the manufacturer if it's an option but I think I'll pass on that. They seem really behind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That doesn't seem good. When I get one I'm planning to get it from a reseller that has it in stock. Normally I always buy stuff from the manufacturer if it's an option but I think I'll pass on that. They seem really behind.
View Quote

This is a DT thing. Be lucky if you get it this year from them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I sent Desert tech an email a few days ago and got the response today. I asked when they estimate they will have a side eject option for the .308 version. The response was: "We have no plans for that."

Right now that's the only thing holding me back from getting one. I want .308 in side eject. I replied that they may want to reconsider since I know that there are others who would like the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I sent Desert tech an email a few days ago and got the response today. I asked when they estimate they will have a side eject option for the .308 version. The response was: "We have no plans for that."

Right now that's the only thing holding me back from getting one. I want .308 in side eject. I replied that they may want to reconsider since I know that there are others who would like the same thing.
View Quote

Maybe.  Right now, they sell every unit they make, and sell it 6 months before they even make it.  That might change, but as a boutique manufacturer, I doubt it.  I will say, the forward eject in my experience is strikingly reliable in their 6.5 CM version, which is the same as the .308.  Remember, this rifle was designed for .308 class usage, and then hosts inserts to make it shoot the smaller/weaker lil'guy rounds.  Meaning the reliability and operations engineering is based on running .308; and then Oh Yea, we'll put some parts on it to let it run .223 too.  All I can say is the MDRx forward eject system works remarkably well in my few limited experience.  I don't really understand why there is a preference for side-eject.  If I want a 2 MOA side-eject rifle, I'll get a TAVOR; since I've learned the hard way the MDRx isn't really quite the 1 MOA all-day gun it's kind of thought to be.   And If I want a .223 front eject rifle, I'll get a Kel-Tech.  To me, the MDRx unique shine is that it's a 20" bullpup in 6.5 CM (and .308) that has forward eject.  That's what makes it so remarkable, IMHO.

Obviously to each their own, and it's OK to like stuff I don't like.  But the forward eject is reliable in my usage, and is a very cool feature of the rifle that allows rapid shoulder changes.  And if you don't think you ever will do rapid shoulder changes, I have bull-pup face markings that have mostly faded by now, once thinking the same thing.  And "Oh, I Can Just Reverse It" so doesn't actually work in the middle of usage.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Maybe.  Right now, they sell every unit they make, and sell it 6 months before they even make it.  That might change, but as a boutique manufacturer, I doubt it.  I will say, the forward eject in my experience is strikingly reliable in their 6.5 CM version, which is the same as the .308.  Remember, this rifle was designed for .308 class usage, and then hosts inserts to make it shoot the smaller/weaker lil'guy rounds.  Meaning the reliability and operations engineering is based on running .308; and then Oh Yea, we'll put some parts on it to let it run .223 too.  All I can say is the MDRx forward eject system works remarkably well in my few limited experience.  I don't really understand why there is a preference for side-eject.  If I want a 2 MOA side-eject rifle, I'll get a TAVOR; since I've learned the hard way the MDRx isn't really quite the 1 MOA all-day gun it's kind of thought to be.   And If I want a .223 front eject rifle, I'll get a Kel-Tech.  To me, the MDRx unique shine is that it's a 20" bullpup in 6.5 CM (and .308) that has forward eject.  That's what makes it so remarkable, IMHO.

Obviously to each their own, and it's OK to like stuff I don't like.  But the forward eject is reliable in my usage, and is a very cool feature of the rifle that allows rapid shoulder changes.  And if you don't think you ever will do rapid shoulder changes, I have bull-pup face markings that have mostly faded by now, once thinking the same thing.  And "Oh, I Can Just Reverse It" so doesn't actually work in the middle of usage.

View Quote

MDRx 223 is said to have less problems than the 308 version. I had the 308 and it chugged barely with 7.62x51 milsurp. The 223 did wonders with 556 and 223 I fed into it. Also much less weight and better recoil. I still have both conversion, but use 223 mainly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

MDRx 223 is said to have less problems with the 308 version. I had the 308 and it chugged barely with 7.62x51 milsurp. The 223 did wondering with 556 and 223 I fed into it. Also much less weight and recoil.
View Quote
Sorry. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what you are trying to say here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sorry. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what you are trying to say here.
View Quote

Edited. My bad no proofreading.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think he is saying the 308 version has historically been more problematic. This was at one point blamed on the larger variety of ammo in 308 compared to 556. He also seems to be saying 223 ran fine in the 556. Then lower recoil in 556 which makes sense in a gun that is so back heavy. Although with the mdrx comp the gun changes a bit. It’s fairly effective in its role. Then he says it’s less weight which from my recollection if you take the mag out it’s about the same because if the conversion parts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think he is saying the 308 version has historically been more problematic. This was at one point blamed on the larger variety of ammo in 308 compared to 556. He also seems to be saying 223 ran fine in the 556. Then lower recoil in 556 which makes sense in a gun that is so back heavy. Although with the mdrx comp the gun changes a bit. It’s fairly effective in its role. Then he says it’s less weight which from my recollection if you take the mag out it’s about the same because if the conversion parts.
View Quote

Pretty much. The 308 barrel does feel beefier.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is the weight of the .308? No mag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What is the weight of the .308? No mag.
View Quote

In 16? The 308 is 8.7 and the 556 is 8.8. In 20 barrel it’s  9 for 308 and 9.1 for the 556. Side eject is 8.3.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

100% agreed, when I saw the spec sheets I said no way after holding them. I had to get the scale out to test. That said I don’t have a 308 anymore and miss it. I think I will try a d get another 308 conversion if I can’t find the 6.5
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

100% agreed, when I saw the spec sheets I said no way after holding them. I had to get the scale out to test. That said I don’t have a 308 anymore and miss it. I think I will try a d get another 308 conversion if I can’t find the 6.5
View Quote

I still have 308 conversion. It's just a pain to switch them. Definitely not quick.

As a dude who's still young and lifts every day, the weight is off on the MDRX. I find that I get weird fatigue when holding at ready vs my Tavor or other rifles. It's almost like more weight is distributed forward then the other bullpup platforms. Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I still have 308 conversion. It's just a pain to switch them. Definitely not quick.

As a dude who's still young and lifts every day, the weight is off on the MDRX. I find that I get weird fatigue when holding at ready vs my Tavor or other rifles. It's almost like more weight is distributed forward then the other bullpup platforms. Anyone else notice this?
View Quote

Only when I have my Gen5 OSS can on it...
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it’s not super quick although not bad either. Better then most are but the barrel swap is easier on some like the aug. Weight wise I find the opposite where it had more weight in the rear. In the shoulder it’s fine but when running with it you seem to have more weight on your trigger hand wrist. That’s about all I have noticed and it’s about half a pound to almost a pound and a half heavier then some competitors. Not a major amount of weight by any means but percentage wise it’s a good gain. To me the balance is just further back. I mean all of this is mole hills really but the balance is off and the times it’s most noticeable is running with it in two gun. Not an issue, just noticeable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No it’s not super quick although not bad either. Better then most are but the barrel swap is easier on some like the aug. Weight wise I find the opposite where it had more weight in the rear. In the shoulder it’s fine but when running with it you seem to have more weight on your trigger hand wrist. That’s about all I have noticed and it’s about half a pound to almost a pound and a half heavier then some competitors. Not a major amount of weight by any means but percentage wise it’s a good gain. To me the balance is just further back. I mean all of this is mole hills really but the balance is off and the times it’s most noticeable is running with it in two gun. Not an issue, just noticeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly this.  I find the MDRx to be heavy, especially with any form of distance capable optic on it.  Once it's up in your shoulder, it swings and gets on target remarkably fast - but it's notably slower getting off the table and up to your should than other options.  This is because it's very heavy, and all that weight is being lifted by one arm, not two - due to the balance.   Again though, once it's up, it will keep up with an ultra-light AR just fine, due to its balance.  But yea, if I'm going to have that class weight, for the exact same weight, I can be launching 140 gr projectiles with 40 gr of gunpowder, or I can be launching 55 gr projectiles with 25 gr of gunpowder.  Same weight gun.  I've also found the recoil of the 6.5 CM version with the muzzle break, to be very good, and gets back on target quick.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In 16? The 308 is 8.7 and the 556 is 8.8. In 20 barrel it's  9 for 308 and 9.1 for the 556. Side eject is 8.3.
View Quote
Wait the .308 is lighter?? How does that work?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 16? The 308 is 8.7 and the 556 is 8.8. In 20 barrel it's  9 for 308 and 9.1 for the 556. Side eject is 8.3.

Doesn't surprise me.  It doesn't have the fillers, and while the barrel may be bigger, so is the hole going through it.  Though really, those two weights are basically the same number.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 5.56 barrel is heavier due to being the same dimensions as the .308, and thus has thicker walls than the .308 in some places (especially near the chamber).
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Doesn't surprise me.  It doesn't have the fillers, and while the barrel may be bigger, so is the hole going through it.  Though really, those two weights are basically the same number.
View Quote

Quoted:

The 5.56 barrel is heavier due to being the same dimensions as the .308, and thus has thicker walls than the .308 in some places (especially near the chamber).
View Quote
Makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well guess what showed up yesterday? The 223 conversion kit. Wonder when the chassis will ship?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well guess what showed up yesterday? The 223 conversion kit. Wonder when the chassis will ship?
View Quote
Octember?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Octember?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Octember?

Ordered in November.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been enjoying mine. Only shot several hundred rounds of crap surplus 308 and 556 through it. Which my reasoning was to purposely cause a malfunction so I could work on clearing it and get back on target. Haven't had a malfunction yet, but then again I haven't shot any quality ammo through it yet with these ammo prices being so high.

I've got a Deadair Sandman S enroute that I'm excited to try it.

Just got the new BLK handguard on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUwY9ZJ7aV/?utm_medium=copy_link
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've been enjoying mine. Only shot several hundred rounds of crap surplus 308 and 556 through it. Which my reasoning was to purposely cause a malfunction so I could work on clearing it and get back on target. Haven't had a malfunction yet, but then again I haven't shot any quality ammo through it yet with these ammo prices being so high.

I've got a Deadair Sandman S enroute that I'm excited to try it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUwY9ZJ7aV/?utm_medium=copy_link

Just got the new BLK handguard on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUwY9ZJ7aV/?utm_medium=copy_link
View Quote

Posted about it in GD:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/In-your-experience-what-s-the-best-5-56-bullpup-/5-2460680/?page=4

Frankly, there's a lot I like about the MDRx.

Also, DT did replace the barrel for me.  So it CAN shoot near MOA, but is VERY ammo particular.  Note the top left group is 1 MOA, the top right is.. slightly bigger, and the bottom left is like 4+ MOA.  Also, that 1 MOA group is not repeatable.  I would say it's more typical to call it 2 MOA average.  Which is... decent, but not the 1000 yard 6.5 CM precision I was hoping for.  For general field usage and gong-banging though, that's serviceable.  I will say, to make this gun sing, it takes time to get to really know it, know how it likes and impacts with different ammo, and its manual of arms.  I'm still learning, but already really growing to quite like it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#46]
If I was excluding all other reasons including the desert tech MDR fiasco, the cost, the accuracy issues, the weight vs the RDB and only consider the size:barrel length. I would still buy an RDB-D

The RDB-D with the stock "collapsed" has an OAL of 24.5" and a 16" barrel, so add 1.1" to the micron and you gain 4.5" of barrel length...

..and it's not an SBR, and it's not a conversion to a 2k gun, it's cheaper, it weights less, the operating system is simple and reliable, and it can have a real fore end and feel somewhat like an AR, and most importantly, it isn't a continuation of endless bullshit from DT
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ordered in November.
View Quote
(Saying "Octember" is my personal inside joke which can be taken to mean "possibly never")
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The barrel change is actually pretty quick on the MDRX. The AUG is a pretty unfair comparison as it's probably the one gun out there that is quicker.

Changing from heavy to light calibers however, takes a bit of time but there is no getting around that. It's actually a pretty unique to the MDRX. (I can think of Colt 901 but that didn't have a quick change barrel system).

Agreed, the weight is unquestionably heavily rearward on the MDRX. If you run a heavy enough can, use the MANTIS handguard, etc. you can help even it out at the cost of more weight. Or hopefully they come out with a side-eject .308 option and that will help remove 1/2lb from the back.

Some people say the MDRX is heavier than the competitors, however I disagree, it is noticeably lighter, and if they offered a side eject option, it be about 3/4lb lighter than the Tavor 7. I get that in 5.56/300blk the MDRX is heavier, but that is a "duh" since it is a modular medium frame gun that you can scale down to 5.56/300blk. Nature of the beast. If someone wants a 5.56 bullpup only, I'd probably look more at an AUG. To me the MDRX shines in a 7.62/6.5 gun, or for someone who wants to ability to change calibers for whatever reason. That Micron is cool though.

I really like mine, it far exceeds my accuracy expectations, is compact, relatively light, and has been reliable so far, albeit only a few hundred rounds now. The mag release is stiffer than it should and you have to be careful the gun doesn't fall over on its side else the charging handle pivots can easily be broken from the weight of the gun
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed, the weight is unquestionably heavily rearward on the MDRX. If you run a heavy enough can, use the MANTIS handguard, etc. you can help even it out at the cost of more weight. Or hopefully they come out with a side-eject .308 option and that will help remove 1/2lb from the back.
View Quote
I emailed DT specifically about this and they said they have no plans to make a side eject option for the .308 kit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I emailed DT specifically about this and they said they have no plans to make a side eject option for the .308 kit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't it side-eject if you just remove the ejection chute panel?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top