BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:40:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

What other new issues have arisen? Your last post said just one. Try Lancers or USGI and your problem likely goes away.
View Quote
USGI mags fit very loosely in my rifle's mag well. Shooting monopod prone means mags rock in the well and get hit by the bolt carrier. Dings up the rear corners and can actually, in some cases, cause enough resistance to stall the bolt carrier.

I haven't tried Lancers. They may or may not spit rounds. But I assume they will still get pushed into the rifle and get hit by the carrier when shooting prone.

Frankly, I don't want to have to buy dedicated mags specifically to run my ACR. Unless I'm running 6.8 or 5.45 or something. The ACR is supposed to be a modern 5.56 rifle and, as such, should run correctly with just about any AR mag I stick in it.

Also, the SCAR suffers from the same lack of internal mag supports. The SCAR will spit rounds too. But in the SCAR's defense those guns were likely spec'ed out using FN steel mags not USGI aluminum.

What about the XCR? Never messed with one of those....
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Also to people calling out modularity, how many stocks are there for the SCAR? How many caliber conversions? Different barrel lengths? What about factory handguards?

The MCX is the only one right out of the gate that has lived up to it's modular potential. Bushmaster is behind them, but there's not even anyone in 3rd place. My next buy will be an MCX, but I much prefer the controls of the ACR versus another replica of the AR15 layout.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#3]
Also to people calling out modularity, how many stocks are there for the SCAR? How many caliber conversions? Different barrel lengths? What about factory handguards?

The MCX is the only one right out of the gate that has lived up to it's modular potential. Bushmaster is behind them, but there's not even anyone in 3rd place. My next buy will be an MCX, but I much prefer the controls of the ACR versus another replica of the AR15 layout.
View Quote
The MCX was a little slow out of the gate but SIG is starting to come around and deliver different stocks and other accessories. Still no 7.62x39 kit but 300 BLK is available.

The MCX is interesting in that it is basically a new rifle that's been built to fit onto an existing M16 lower. Anyone with a full-auto or SBR registered lower can upgrade to an MCX with the purchase of an upper and the stock adapter plug.

This leaves the Robinson XCR. Looking at the website, they offer a variety of parts and barrels. But I've yet to mess with one of these. The only thing I've ever seen mentioned bad about the XCR was a cracked gas block and that was a number of years ago.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, Sig came out swinging compared to Bushmaster. I think Robarm is the only one that followed through on x39 conversions, but they change the entire design of the rifle so often I couldn't consider it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, Sig came out swinging compared to Bushmaster. I think Robarm is the only one that followed through on x39 conversions, but they change the entire design of the rifle so often I couldn't consider it.
View Quote
SIG has made a few changes to the MCX too.

The XCR design appears fairly stable now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#6]
I still think the top contender will be the HK433. It will be the first gun that uses an adaptable gas system, and the first single receiver for 5.56 and 308. Swap out the barrel, bolt, and lower, then twist a knob and you can go from 5.56x45 to 7.62x51. The SCAR was originally supposed to be this way. Colt kind of did it, but I wouldn't call it the same since it's only the lower.

I have no idea how, but they're apparently using the same gas system and springs for 5.56 and 308. It looks like they're doing some major venting near the OP rod, so maybe they have a truly self regulating piston, not the common "kinda self regulating".

Add that it's going to be cheaper than the G36, which post sample G36's were going for the same price as SL8's when both were available, around $1700-$2000.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Have they made any comments if HK will sell that rifle to us mortals?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought my ACR a few weeks back and mine had the lighter barrel. No M4 cuts. 1/7 cold hammer forged.
Ambidextrous charging handle
Upgraded safety with metal tumbler.
They just released a new M lock handguard and I think the rifles newer than mine will have all the above features as well as the new handguard. The combination of the lighter barrel and the new handguard is a huge improvement in weight. Also fit and finish is good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I love mine.
OP, what's the optic on yours?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
As a general fyi, sig wasn’t allowing dealers/sots to even purchase the sear trip required for an auto mcx setup. I tried to get one for a post sample setup for work and they wouldn’t allow it whatsoever.  Not that it’s a major deal but since auto mcx’s were brought up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:23:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#11]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
As a general fyi, sig wasn’t allowing dealers/sots to even purchase the sear trip required for an auto mcx setup. I tried to get one for a post sample setup for work and they wouldn’t allow it whatsoever.  Not that it’s a major deal but since auto mcx’s were brought up.
View Quote
Parker Mountain Machine has them for sale.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p183/PMM_Sig_Sauer_MCX_Full-Auto_Kit.html

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p346/Sig_Sauer_RATTLER%2FVIRTUS_Full-Auto_Kit_.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#12]
Originally Posted By TURRICAN:
Have they made any comments if HK will sell that rifle to us mortals?
View Quote
It's complicated.

Germany does what the US was trying with the M4IC. Where if the military adopts the rifle, Germany owns proprietorship over it per the contract. So if HK wins the G36 replacement trials, Germany would control who it's sold and exported to. It's most likely Germany would continue legacy trends and only allow HK to sell it to military and police allies. This is why we get all current HK production rifles except the G36.

We could likely get a muddied up version like the SL8, as that was approved by Germany as not breaching the G36 contract. It also means we could end up with a true G36 if HK gets awarded 433 production on a contract. HK on the other hand is selling almost every part you need to convert an SL8, in full knowledge of why people are buying them.

Of interesting note, if Remington had won the M4IC with the ACR, they would have sold the entire rights and production to the military, and we would no longer have civilian ACR's or ACR parts. Bushmaster, Remington, and Magpul would not have manufactured anything for it anymore, which was when most companies bailed out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

SIG has made a few changes to the MCX too.

The XCR design appears fairly stable now.
View Quote
The XCR has become an amazing platform in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

The XCR has become an amazing platform in my opinion.
View Quote
Do you have one? Can you post a picture of the inside of the mag well? Are the feed lips supported?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#15]
I have two, mags fit tight, but drop free, very little slop. That said the xcr uses a completely different feed angle, not requiring the need for m4 feed ramps. It feeds perfectly straight across the top of the mag.

I had two acrs and sold both, I replaced them with at first one xcr, I liked the first one so much, I bought a pistol config.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you trying to tell me Big Green messed up a product?  I’m shocked!!!  What have they released anytime recently that they didn’t pooch screw?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I have two, mags fit tight, but drop free, very little slop.
View Quote
Thanks for the info and pic.

What about inside the upper?  Is there anything in there that the feed lips seat against?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for the info and pic.

What about inside the upper?  Is there anything in there that the feed lips seat against?  
View Quote
Yes the upper is appropriately machined to fully support the feed lips tightly, as seen here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Locutus494:

It's very well known that Travis Haley had a falling out with Magpul when he left, so he goes out of his way to talk shit about Magpul products, including the ACR, even directly contradicting things he said when he was enthusiastically promoting Magpul stuff (a lot of which he designed and holds the patents for). Nothing he says on the subject should be believed.
View Quote
To some degree, everyone in the firearms industry is a shill.

Having said that, nothing that Travis said about the ACR is a lie.  I had a 2018 era FDE gun that was a shit show.  Receiver screws fell out.  Brand new M2 and M3 pmags would vomit rounds upon rough inserted reloads.  Firing prone would result in the bolt slamming into the inserted mag since there was no over insertion stop.  My QD barrel wanted to QD itself as the barrel would NOT stayed secured.  The ratchet system in mine was defective and would back off resulting in accuracy loss and a potential headspace issue as the barrel started to move forward in its trunion.

I liked the rifle to a degree but anyone thinking that this thing is a refined product is out of their mind.

The platform just requires way too much work and money in order for it to start being a "good" rifle.

I really wish this wasn't the case as the platform concept is super neat and I have such a crush on it from years ago when it was the Masada.  I wont shit on anyones parade if their like their rifle but I think we all need to be realistic and accept the fact that the gun is flawed as can be and needs attention in order to become half of what it should be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I started from a receiver and there were so many things that irk'ed me while I was putting it together that I just decided to dump it.

Didn't even shoot it but sounds like I dodged a bullet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

To some degree, everyone in the firearms industry is a shill.

Having said that, nothing that Travis said about the ACR is a lie.  I had a 2018 era FDE gun that was a shit show.  Receiver screws fell out.  Brand new M2 and M3 pmags would vomit rounds upon rough inserted reloads.  Firing prone would result in the bolt slamming into the inserted mag since there was no over insertion stop.  My QD barrel wanted to QD itself as the barrel would NOT stayed secured.  The ratchet system in mine was defective and would back off resulting in accuracy loss and a potential headspace issue as the barrel started to move forward in its trunion.

I liked the rifle to a degree but anyone thinking that this thing is a refined product is out of their mind.

The platform just requires way too much work and money in order for it to start being a "good" rifle.

I really wish this wasn't the case as the platform concept is super neat and I have such a crush on it from years ago when it was the Masada.  I wont shit on anyones parade if their like their rifle but I think we all need to be realistic and accept the fact that the gun is flawed as can be and needs attention in order to become half of what it should be.
View Quote
With the barrel nut thread rate, I don't see how this could really happen. It's pretty much either secure, or blatantly obviously loose.

Also, M3 Pmags have over insertion stops. They have this because almost every non AR 5.56 rifle has the same unsupported magazine well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Also, M3 Pmags have over insertion stops. They have this because almost every non AR 5.56 rifle has the same unsupported magazine well.
View Quote
The over-insertion stop is too low to work on my ACR.  I can still pop a mag too far into the gun.

Which modern non-AR rifles that use M16 mags have unsupported feed lips other than the SCAR and ACR?
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:20:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#23]

The over-insertion stop is too low to work on my ACR.  I can still pop a mag too far into the gun.

Which modern non-AR rifles that use M16 mags have unsupported feed lips other than the SCAR and ACR?
View Quote
Looking at pictures, the CZ Bren, Sig 556, FS2000, and I can't find a good picture, but it looks like the Tavor doesn't either. The Sig MCX is definitely supported.

I guess I'm just kind of amazed that when Pmags break dozens of SCAR's people blame Pmags, but 1 in 3,479 ACR owners seat magazines hard enough to pop a round out and it makes the ACR a crap rifle. I'll just run Lancers like I always do and not have to worry about my rifle liking them or not.

I do wonder if the ACR mag release could be modified to fix this though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#24]

it looks like the Tavor doesn't either.
View Quote
Tavor feed lips are supported,
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Yes the upper is appropriately machined to fully support the feed lips tightly, as seen here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43501/KIMG1439_JPG-1035293.JPG
View Quote
Both my brother and I have 1st Gen. XCRs, and the feed lips are supported by the upper, as in your picture. No chance of over-inserting the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:43:25 AM EDT
[#26]

With the barrel nut thread rate, I don't see how this could really happen. It's pretty much either secure, or blatantly obviously loose.

View Quote
I no longer have the rifle so i cant demonstrate for you via video but yeah, it was CLEARLY loose to the point where the barrel was wobbling in its trunion.  Id tighten it down to where it was rock solid, fire a few rounds and then we were back to where the barrel was wobbling all over the place.

Im not saying its a design feature, im saying that I probably had a lemon.  One more reason to loathe Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:Im not saying its a design feature, im saying that I probably had a lemon.
View Quote
More simply, the spring loaded plunger with the tooth that engages the barrel nut was rounded off. Because of infrequency, some suspect it’s from incorrect disassembly, neglecting to hold the handle down far enough to depress the plunger and unintentionally rounding off the tooth themselves.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#28]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

More simply, the spring loaded plunger with the tooth that engages the barrel nut was rounded off. Because of infrequency, some suspect it’s from incorrect disassembly, neglecting to hold the handle down far enough to depress the plunger and unintentionally rounding off the tooth themselves.
View Quote
Yeah...no...

Im gonna go with improper heat treat or materials selection....

The gun developed this out of the gate so im going to refute your claim of user error.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, most ACR owners have no issue. That said, I’d suggest users be sure to depress the plunger before turning. Same kind of thing with AAC 51T mounts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishak] [#30]
I just got mine from a huge gun dealer in KY. Its a Huntsville ACR with a non M4 barrel that looks nitrided. Aluminum is anodized, I got the standard model with polymer / heat shield fore end. It is tight as a tick no play between upper and lower. Barrel is marked marked BFI 5.56 NATO 1/7 The flash hider is a 3 prong with external thread and ratcheting cuts for a suppressor. I put magpul sights (buis) on it and a magpul qd sling. Can't wait to fire it looks like a winner to me. Also to note it has the ambi charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Problems with ACR are mostly design related.  Yet somehow idiots still blame Bushmaster
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishak] [#32]
Will update with range report asap
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#33]

That’s for sure. And it doesn’t have to be that way, see B&T APC223.
View Quote
Talk about an overpriced rifle...
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I still think the top contender will be the HK433. It will be the first gun that uses an adaptable gas system, and the first single receiver for 5.56 and 308. Swap out the barrel, bolt, and lower, then twist a knob and you can go from 5.56x45 to 7.62x51. The SCAR was originally supposed to be this way. Colt kind of did it, but I wouldn't call it the same since it's only the lower.

https://s18.directupload.net/images/190728/kh8niuez.jpg

I have no idea how, but they're apparently using the same gas system and springs for 5.56 and 308. It looks like they're doing some major venting near the OP rod, so maybe they have a truly self regulating piston, not the common "kinda self regulating".

Add that it's going to be cheaper than the G36, which post sample G36's were going for the same price as SL8's when both were available, around $1700-$2000.
View Quote
I did not know that the HK433 was convertible 5.56/7.62 rifle. Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Trash_Panda:
Problems with ACR are mostly design related.  Yet somehow idiots still blame Bushmaster
View Quote
Sure, because Bushmaster now OWNS the design and can fix whatever issues they want via redesign or revisions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:Sure, because Bushmaster now OWNS the design and can fix whatever issues they want via redesign or revisions.
View Quote
Actually, they license it from Magpul, but your point still stands, they can fix whatever they want via redesign or revisions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Actually, they license it from Magpul, but your point still stands, they can fix whatever they want via redesign or revisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zerlak:Sure, because Bushmaster now OWNS the design and can fix whatever issues they want via redesign or revisions.
Fair enough, genuinely thought they had purchased the design. I'll stand corrected though, thanks sir.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:If the consumer base wanted change I'm sure it would have happened by now. These guns probably aren't selling well enough to invest more money/time into.
View Quote
They’ve made at least 3 new calibers, a pistol, released lots of barrel options, updated the selectors and charging assembly, among other things, all within the last 2-3 years, so something must be working well for them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I still haven't bought one
View Quote
Finally added one to the stable. Guess I'll get to see for myself soon if it works well.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top