Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2021 2:59:42 PM EDT
I had picked up a 410 version a few months back and have been happy with it.  If for anything a novelty being a 7/8 scale version of a larger gun and it actually functions reliably with ammo I have found.  Other than it being made in turkey and overly oiled from the factory I'm good with it for a basic shooter but nothing high end.

I am curious how the 12 or 20 gauge might fair for home defense if cut down to 18+ish inches.

Being recoil operated I don't think it would hurt the reliability but curious if others have tried.  $226 shotguns are not that common and my Walmart just got some more in stock in 20ga and 12 ga.

I find it hard to believe at the price point and high demand for home defense shotguns nobody seems to be reporting on cutting them down to 18".

It wouldn't be that hard to cut, square and add a new sight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If it doesn't work out Hatfield sells parts pretty cheap-I was going to cut the stock on a 20 gauge down for my daughter to use as a turkey gun, I could have gotten a spare stock from Hatfield at the time for $40.

Only reason I didn't do it was she decided not to go turkey hunting before I got time to cut it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the enthusiasts on gun forums probably aren’t looking for budget scatter guns, but now that you mention it, I’ll have to check them out. Do they hold 4 in the magazine?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the enthusiasts on gun forums probably aren’t looking for budget scatter guns, but now that you mention it, I’ll have to check them out. Do they hold 4 in the magazine?
View Quote

Yes. The 20 gauge I had worked well but was clearly a price-point gun. The wood is some kind of Turkish stuff that seems to have a veneer over it to look good. They take Beretta/Benelli pattern chokes too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it doesn't work out Hatfield sells parts pretty cheap-I was going to cut the stock on a 20 gauge down for my daughter to use as a turkey gun, I could have gotten a spare stock from Hatfield at the time for $40.

Only reason I didn't do it was she decided not to go turkey hunting before I got time to cut it.
View Quote

I bought one a couple years ago, based on a thread on here, just to have.
Would like to also cut it down, but would like to buy another bbl, just to have.

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Hatfield? I cannot find them anywhere.
Or is there a barrel from a different mfgr that will fit?.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would like to also cut it down, but would like to buy another bbl, just to have.

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Hatfield? I cannot find them anywhere.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://hatfieldguncompany.com/contact-us/
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Being recoil operated I don't think it would hurt the reliability but curious if others have tried  
View Quote

Is it recoil operated?  I ask because the US Hatfield website lists a gas piston as a spare part.

They also have barrels, but they are out of stock, (of course).

Maybe I have my models confused.  I do remember looking at a Turkish shotgun years ago that was obviously very much like a Benelli M1 internally, though its external appearance was different.

ETA; One should always look at the manual!  I found this. "Your new Hatfield semi-auto shotgun utilizes a unique gas assist inertia action
to cycle the action."

This is a new one one me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bought the 12 gauge to try it.  It has a plug which limits to 2 in the magazine, removing the plug I could get 4.  I took it out and shot some clays with it, it didn't like low power stuff, but shot the 1300fps just fine.  The only thing I didn't like about it was loading the magazine wasn't exactly smooth.  It felt like I had to fight the rim of the shell to go in.  Sold it to a buddy of mine and decided to stick with my 1100.  He loves it though, especially at the price point.  He's also a much bigger guy than I am and doesn't seem to have any issues with loading it.

Now I'm just waiting to find one in 28 gauge.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA; One should always look at the manual!  I found this. "Your new Hatfield semi-auto shotgun utilizes a unique gas assist inertia action to cycle the action."

This is a new one one me.
View Quote

That is kinda sorta how the Benelli M4 action works (gas pistons pushes the action open instead of the internal "inertia" spring)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top