Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 11:10:56 PM EDT
I'm thinking about doing this. Where can I get a .50 bmg bullet mold ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several firms that make moulds.  NEI (Northeast Industrial) use to have a mold that pretty much made a bullet that looked like a jacketed projectile.  Most of the other bullets you can cast do not look that way.  I think that casting characteristics for it are in a 2010 Gun Digest article on bullet casting.

Anyway getting 40 bullets an hour is about maximum unless you have more than one mold because a bullet that big takes a very long time to cool.  Also the visual acceptance rate is horrible.  Still with a single shot gun they work.  How accurate they are I just do not remember.

But I am about to buy another 50 BMG so eventually I will figure that out, again.

Hope this helps.

P.S.  When I did shoot cast bullets in one of these, a Barrett 99, I cut the recommended powder charge in half.  You could tell when the bullet landed because the hill literally moved.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If all you're going to do is use them to plink and load cheap, that's about all they're good for.

I have never heard of anyone getting good accuracy out of them. I have a couple different designs for reference but from what I've heard and read is that they just don't preform the way you want.
View Quote
I agree.  But it is a cheap way to shoot one and, well, shooting a 50 a lot is a lot better than not, I think.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
No luck with the cast so far.  Tried gas checked version and different lubes/coatings.  Easier to just shoot some regular ball/ap projos.  I stocked up a few years ago for well under $1 each delivered.  There are still good deals out there, it just takes patience and a little luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I know this is an old post, but NOE makes a 50bmg mold. It is 850+gr bullet. Just depends on your alloy at that size to get a closer weight estimate for you.

Greg
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top