Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 8:32:36 AM EDT
I was given what appears to be a new Mossberg 590A1 marked receiver. It’s bare with no other parts. How big a PITA is it to source parts to complete and is there any specialty stuff required? I’m not much of a shotgun guy and just have some Beretta autoloaders. But given current market prices this seems much cheaper than someone buying a new complete model. Local, a 590A1 is fetching $700-800+. And aside from eBay/gunbroker any good part sources, aftermarket upgrades to consider, etc?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Havlin sales has a lot of mossberg stuff. The 835 barrel will fit a 590a1.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Numrich, ebay; some parts are scarce (mag tubes IME). Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The only way I believe you could come out financially ahead there is:
transfer it to your Favorite SOT/07
Have them AOW it and transfer it to you for $5 (instead of the $200 you'd pay to SBS or AOW yourself)
Build it as like 8" barrel

Otherwise if you're trying to do just a basic build it would cost more than it should in good times, let alone now.

Your other option is to list it on GB as a Mossberg shotgun. Spell out that it's just the receiver but since it's still the gun it will need to ship to FFL. Price it lower than any other on there. I would imagine you could sell it quickly to someone that has either been waiting with the parts to do this or someone who's not reading the whole descriptions in adds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The correct trigger guards are near unobtanium, when you do find them(there are 3 variants, most anything after the 90s uses type 3 unless you want aluminum) they are $100 a pop

Barrels are unobtanium unless you want to pay $350 a pop

Other than that between havlin(cheapest but doesn’t have everything currently in stock) and midway you can source all the parts you need except as noted above
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just talked to mossberg CS the other day.

They won't sell you trigger groups, bolts, or safety parts without some proof of "competency" like an armorer cert or gunsmith license.

They do have most small parts and barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Parts sets pop up on Gunbroker fairly often, but pricey expecially these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top