Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2019 8:22:31 PM EDT
Well? I have the itch to do a project gun. I have access to a mill and lathe. I do have a tig welder too. Everything I see online points to this being possible with just a dremel tool provided you buy the receiver tube from these guys. I think a mill would yield more professional results however. https://indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk3.html

Im thinking a MK3 parts kit from Apex should suffice. Then everything else from the link above. Semi auto kit, 16" barrel, and receiver tube.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They are easy to build...but the Mk III's suck IMHO...try to find a Mk II or even better a Mk V

It can be done with a drill, cut off wheels and files...but a mill would make it much easier!
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Warning!  You can get into deep shit if your Sten will hold an unmodified bolt.  The tube must be smaller.

I looked at it many years ago.  I passed because it was way out of my budget and skill level.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are easy to build...but the Mk III's suck IMHO...try to find a Mk II or even better a Mk V

It can be done with a drill, cut off wheels and files...but a mill would make it much easier!
View Quote
Mk2 and Mk5 parts are a bit more pricey, but yes, they are the coolest looking. I just want something to spit lead and get funny looks from people at the range haha. I figured it would make a good winter project. What do you think would be the max effective range of one with a 16" barrel shooting off the shelf 9mm?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Warning!  You can get into deep shit if your Sten will hold an unmodified bolt.  The tube must be smaller.

I looked at it many years ago.  I passed because it was way out of my budget and skill level.
View Quote
The tubes from the place I linked are same outside diameter, smaller inside. Their proprietary bolt is the only one that will work.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Mk2 and Mk5 parts are a bit more pricey, but yes, they are the coolest looking. I just want something to spit lead and get funny looks from people at the range haha. I figured it would make a good winter project. What do you think would be the max effective range of one with a 16" barrel shooting off the shelf 9mm?
View Quote
Same as any other 16" 9x19mm PCC - 100-200m w/ practice & optic, less w/o.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was on the list many years ago.  Then, May 1986 happened......
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
OP. If you haven't, go register on Weaponsguild. Builders helping builders.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you build save me the bolt
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP. If you haven't, go register on Weaponsguild. Builders helping builders.
View Quote
Only partially true. There are some real D-bags on the site that would not know good help if it hit them in the face with a shovel.  There is a lot of knowledge on the site but be aware there are some guys who should not have power tools as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This right here.  I joined up there to get help building my CETME L.  Well the owners of that site apparently had stakes in a shitty flat they marketed for that gun.  I was using a HMG flat and jig, which were top notch IMO.  So they banned me from the site. Lol. Fuck weaponsguild
View Quote
I've never had a problem there after nine years. But there are some a-holes there like any where else. It wont hurt to go look.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem there after nine years. But there are some a-holes there like any where else. It wont hurt to go look.
View Quote
I registered and began looking through some threads the other night. Seems like it has its fair share of assholes, but the information that is there is pretty helpful irregardless.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a MkII about 2 yrs ago using an Indianapolis Ordnance kit . Used a dremel and a small welding machine. If you have a mill and a TIG welder you're G2G. I do wish I had spent the extra coin for a MkV though. I also modified the selector to fuction as a safety. There's instructions on that somewhere on the web. Other extra stuff I did was make an extended handguard and a wood grip. Also SBR'd it.

Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
After having fired the semi auto versions of many WWII sub guns they all leave me feeling sad and disappointed.  Cool for what they are, but they lose a lot of their luster for me.

Agreed get anything other than a MKIII kit.  And I'd build it as a pistol personally.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  After having fired the semi auto versions of many WWII sub guns they all leave me feeling sad and disappointed.  Cool for what they are, but they lose a lot of their luster for me.

Agreed get anything other than a MKIII kit.  And I'd build it as a pistol personally.
View Quote
At the time, it was submachine gun or bolt action rifle.  Submachine guns, even the STEN, were amazing devices of modern mechanical mastery.  But they have been superseded by the intermediate cartridge assault rifle.

Choose btwn a SMLE No 1 Mk 3 or a STEN for urban combat?  STEN.  Choose btwn a STEN w/ original mags or a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 w/ a modern red dot & modern high-quality mags?  Kel-Tec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top