Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2022 12:56:24 PM EDT
Just getting in to 300 blk and have picked up some 110gr TAC-TX for defense/hunting, and Berry's 220 for subsonic once my suppressor clears. I've been searching for "affordable" plinking bullets for supersonic and was thinking of just grabbing 110 gr V-MAX to match the weight of the TAC-TX, or Speer 125 gr TNT as they are affordable and shoot well per the internet. However, I just found Speer's 130 gr HP. It appears to be one of the most affordable .308 bullets out there and is readily available. Not a ton of info out there, but people are loading it for 300 blk. I am okay with spending a little more for a bullet they may match or be really close for POI, feel, etc., to the 110 TAC-TX for plinking purposes, but I can get 500 of the Speer 130 for close to what 300 V-MAX cost. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'm curious if anyone here has used the Speer 130gr?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They work well for me and are a good alternate to Speer's 125 gr.

Use the .250 ogive method to set OAL.

Link where I explain .
View Quote

Awesome. Is that just for 5.56 mags, or do you recommend that for 300 mags as well?

ETA: Is there actually a difference besides a marking?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are talking about Speer's 130gr varmint bullet, I think they may be greatest thing since sliced bread.  I say may, since I have yet to shoot a deer with them, just developed a load in my pistol this year.  

I played with 3 powders, IMR 4227, Vihta N110, and accurate 11FS.  With all 3 powders, and any load or OAL I tried, they were just plain stupid accurate.  In gallon water jugs they mushroom beautifully

anywhere from mid 1400's impact up to near 2000 fps.  I have difficulty shooting an ar pistol all that well, and I can shoot these into under .5" center to center at 55 yards, the only two groups I shot at 110 yards

were 5 shot groups I shot on two different days.  The biggest of those two was just under 1.2 ", the other one was probably one of those fluke groups you will never see again and I don't count it.  4227 was only good

for mid 1800 fps out of my 9" pistol, N110 was high end of mid 1900's, and the load I'm using with 11FS is about 2010 fps.  I use starline brass which has a lower case capacity than anything else.  From testing,

I think if I stuck with the N110 and messed more with OAL it would have been slightly more accurate than 11FS.  The reason I didn't keep working with N110 is my supply is low and I have other cartridges I use it in.

Instead of the 250 ogive method Dryflash suggests, I just use a modified magazine that works with blackout no matter what, probably wouldn't work in my .223's and I don't care.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you are talking about Speer's 130gr varmint bullet, I think they may be greatest thing since sliced bread.  I say may, since I have yet to shoot a deer with them, just developed a load in my pistol this year.  

I played with 3 powders, IMR 4227, Vihta N110, and accurate 11FS.  With all 3 powders, and any load or OAL I tried, they were just plain stupid accurate.  In gallon water jugs they mushroom beautifully

anywhere from mid 1400's impact up to near 2000 fps.  I have difficulty shooting an ar pistol all that well, and I can shoot these into under .5" center to center at 55 yards, the only two groups I shot at 110 yards

were 5 shot groups I shot on two different days.  The biggest of those two was just under 1.2 ", the other one was probably one of those fluke groups you will never see again and I don't count it.  4227 was only good

for mid 1800 fps out of my 9" pistol, N110 was high end of mid 1900's, and the load I'm using with 11FS is about 2010 fps.  I use starline brass which has a lower case capacity than anything else.  From testing,

I think if I stuck with the N110 and messed more with OAL it would have been slightly more accurate than 11FS.  The reason I didn't keep working with N110 is my supply is low and I have other cartridges I use it in.

Instead of the 250 ogive method Dryflash suggests, I just use a modified magazine that works with blackout no matter what, probably wouldn't work in my .223's and I don't care.
View Quote

Sounds like the right bullet. Speer #2005. I've got IMR 4227 and Lil' Gun and am leaning Lil' Gun for it and 4227 for my subsonic loads. However, I haven't developed or shot any loads yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: Is there actually a difference besides a marking?
View Quote

Blackout magazines have a much smaller rib that guides the bullet.  They allow you to tune OAL of round for accuracy if you need to go longer than the .250 ogive method, which I found necessary for

subsonic accuracy with nosler 220 ballistic tips.  I just took a 10 round magpul apart and filed the ribs down, works perfect.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to both of you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top