Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 6:14:57 PM EDT
I have an APV I've been sitting on for a couple years until I could get my AR builds squared away and now I'm finally getting around to my 10/22.   Got it for a good deal and was wondering if you guys are having good luck with them?  I've read the posts about the Athlon Midas Tacs being really well received and the APRS 2(?) reticle looks like it would be spot on for what I'm wanting to do (pretty much precision paper punching and longer shots).   But, was wondering about still giving the APV a go.  It had gotten pretty good reviews from the likes of RF Central and stuff.  Just wasn't sure about putting a 500+ scope (Athlon) on my build.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an APV I've been sitting on for a couple years until I could get my AR builds squared away and now I'm finally getting around to my 10/22.   Got it for a good deal and was wondering if you guys are having good luck with them?  I've read the posts about the Athlon Midas Tacs being really well received and the APRS 2(?) reticle looks like it would be spot on for what I'm wanting to do (pretty much precision paper punching and longer shots).   But, was wondering about still giving the APV a go.  It had gotten pretty good reviews from the likes of RF Central and stuff.  Just wasn't sure about putting a 500+ scope (Athlon) on my build.
View Quote

Do it. I have them on about all of my rimfires. My goal was to put them on every single one. But that was when you could get them for less than $120 shipped. I loved the combo of clarity, magnification and an AO for that price point.

But then the price suddenly jumped on them about $20-$30 which caused me pause and got me into the  AO Sightron SI’s which is also an excellent scope for the money.

I trust the Sightrons a little more on a centerfire so for similar money now I choose the S1 just for the flexibility.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The Mueller APV is a decent budget scope. 10-15 years ago it was one of the few high value cheaper scopes so was a top recommendation for rimfire rifles. Today there are lots of brands making budget scopes that work just as well so Mueller is not as popular because it is a crowded market.

I have a 2-7 & 6-18 APV and they have been great for under $200 scopes. They don't compare to $800+ scopes. If the APV has the features you want or need it should perform just fine. If you want zero stop turrets, FFP, fancy reticles than you are going to need something else.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, I enjoy it and havent had any issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The original APV was a Simmons ATV 4.5 -14 x 40 WA/A0 scope that was manufactured in The Philippines, model no. ATV4514. It was a very popular scope with the RFC crowd. If I’m remembering it correctly they were in the $120 price range. I have two of the Simmons ATVs and they were a good solid scope for the money. The scope was discontinued when Simmons shifted all of their production to China. Mueller stepped up and with a lot of input from RFC members made a decent clone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Apologies for bringing this thread back after a month.  I finally got a chance to take it out today.  Nice budge optic for sure, but the parallax adjustment has me stumped a bit.  I marked off 50 yds precisely for my shooting, and the reticle looks clean and in focus.  However, when I focus the parallax adjustment, the target looks perfect with the parallax at about 30-35 yds and not at or around the 50 mark.  No matter how much I use the fast focus eyepiece, the reticle pretty much looks the same.  First time using parallax adjustment on a scope.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My athlon for me focus is a bit off from the references on the dial. I just ignore the revenue marks and adjust until focus is clear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Most parallax adjustments are actually very near of what the yardage says. It's the human eye that can be slightly off with the focus and how clear an image gives. That's why when you let another shooter try the gun, they'll many times refocus the parallax according to their eye to make the target clearer if scope has parallax adjustment.

The (fast focus) eye adjustment that's used nowadays on many scopes, compared to unlocking the lock ring and screwing in/out the objective lens, is to adjust the reticle to the eye for sharp reticle image when setting up for the shooter, then lock ring is tightened back down to hold.

The parallax adjustment is to bring the target into clear focus for the distance used.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top