Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2021 10:58:42 PM EDT
Looking to buy my first suppressor.  I'm super intrigued by the Odessa 9.  Suppressor will be used on pistols, a PTR 9KT, and maybe my AR9 if I don't sell it.  I love the modularity and small diameter of the Odessa, and if I were using it for handgun only, I wouldn't question it.  But, it seems like it might be sort of out of place on the PTR, and honestly that is probably where it will spend most of it's time.  Anyone using one on an MP5 variant?  Should I look elsewhere?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Odessa is more of a specific use (read pistol) suppressor. For subgun use I would look at something like the Wolfman if you wanted to stay in the Dead Air family though it would be larger for pistol use. A traditional 1.375” OD pistol suppressor will probably be the best for host flexibility.

This game is all about trade offs (price, materials, weight/length, mount options, sound, ease of cleaning etc) and finding what can fits your criteria the best.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll work but the main design goal of the Odessa was the be thin to not obstruct handgun sights. That's not really what you want in a subgun can.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Either grab the wolfman or the rugged 9. There is a youtube video of the rugged 9 being used on the MP5 and it sounds amazing, plus you can clean it. Pistol rounds are dirty.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either grab the wolfman or the rugged 9. There is a youtube video of the rugged 9 being used on the MP5 and it sounds amazing, plus you can clean it. Pistol rounds are dirty.
View Quote

I use my Obsidian 45 primarily on one of my MP5s, it sounds great and no noticeable gas in the face at all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The Wolfman was born and bred to run 9mm PCCs, get that
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
There’s not a way to really mount it on a PCC.  Dead air doesn’t sell a fixed barrel adapter spacer accessory and the fixed mount (I have a 1/2x28) is short threaded as if it were more for the typically shorter rimfire threads (.5 inches deep).  Would probably work on a navy 3-lug threaded end (ETA: the 1/2x28 side) though.  Fixed mount is too short for some of the threads of the AR9 barrels I have which are .625 deep at least.   No 3-lug available option for odessa available either.  The accessory availability from Dead Air kind of confirmed their intended applications for it: pistol or Rimfire if you really wanted.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Wolfman was born and bred to run 9mm PCCs, get that
View Quote

Yeah but it certainly isn't ideal for handguns.  Also, from what I understand, the Odessa seems to work pretty well for .22lr, at least as far as a non-dedicated can goes.

I know the correct answer is to get both, but at this point I really only want one 9mm can to cover PCC, handgun, and possibly .22LR, although none of my .22's currently have a threaded barrel.

Brands my dealer can get are Dead Air, Silencerco, Sig, and Gemtech.

ETA: Also looking at 7.62 rifle cans, but that is a different story.  Plan is to buy a 9mm can and a 7.62 can in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah but it certainly isn't ideal for handguns.  Also, from what I understand, the Odessa seems to work pretty well for .22lr, at least as far as a non-dedicated can goes.

I know the correct answer is to get both, but at this point I really only want one 9mm can to cover PCC, handgun, and possibly .22LR, although none of my .22's currently have a threaded barrel.

ETA: Also looking at 7.62 rifle cans, but that is a different story.  Plan is to buy a 9mm can and a 7.62 can in the near future.
View Quote

Take a look at the omega 9k then.  Works great on pistols and subguns.  I use it on my G19 and m11/9 all the time.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

My best advice is don't settle and try and get something to do everything. Jack of all trades, master of none. My first can was a "do everything" and now it's never used because I bought something better for every category it covered. 9mm cans can work on .22 but are grossly oversized. I also wouldn't limit yourself to specifically what your dealer sells in this internet age of convenience.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Obsidian 9 sounds great on my MP5’s and handguns.  Love it so much ended up getting a second one dedicated for PCC use.  It also got me hooked on shooting 22 suppressed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would write off the Odessa purely because you will be disappointed on PCC needs.  It's a very niche can
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reviews I've seen said it did a good job on pistols. Mike isn't here yet but I've got the booster and piston, hopefully I'll have it I a few months I'll post my thoughts when I take it out
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
A friend tried to run an Odessa on a PTR clone and the barrel threads are extremely long.  It was bottoming out with threads left uncovered

Pistol vs PTR clone

Can bottomed out
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the Odessa cause it fit with the Surefire light/hand guard. I havnt shot it in this configuration yet so I’m not much help. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A friend tried to run an Odessa on a PTR clone and the barrel threads are extremely long.  It was bottoming out with threads left uncovered

Pistol vs PTR clone
https://i.imgur.com/A67KPY1.jpg

Can bottomed out
https://i.imgur.com/ltoT7Wd.jpg
View Quote

It's not bottoming out on the threads, it indexing off the muzzle as it was designed.  Many 9mm fixed barrel suppressors don't have a shoulder and some PCCs don't either.  That's why the fixed mount for it has a muzzle seating feature down inside.  

For the OP, I also agree that the Odessa is not the right choice.  The Wolfman is absolutely where it's at and it gives you flexibility all the way to 300BLK supers.  Even on a pistol in the short config, it's quieter than the Omega9K and it stomps it in the long config on that MP5.  Note that the 3-lug adapter for the Omega9K makes it run quite loud.  The Wolfman with three lug adds .6" to the the length, but it makes it quieter instead.  The difference between the two is pretty big.  On a pistol, the Wolman in short config is still quieter than the Omega9K and both obstruct the sights, so the larger diameter is often a non-issue.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if the silencer you put on that gun went all the way to the shoulder behind the threads, you should never be using an O-Ring there with a silencer. That O-ring's sole purpose is to retain the thread protector.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's not bottoming out on the threads, it indexing off the muzzle as it was designed.  Many 9mm fixed barrel suppressors don't have a shoulder and some PCCs don't either.  That's why the fixed mount for it has a muzzle seating feature down inside.  

For the OP, I also agree that the Odessa is not the right choice.  The Wolfman is absolutely where it's at and it gives you flexibility all the way to 300BLK supers.  Even on a pistol in the short config, it's quieter than the Omega9K and it stomps it in the long config on that MP5.  Note that the 3-lug adapter for the Omega9K makes it run quite loud.  The Wolfman with three lug adds .6" to the the length, but it makes it quieter instead.  The difference between the two is pretty big.  On a pistol, the Wolman in short config is still quieter than the Omega9K and both obstruct the sights, so the larger diameter is often a non-issue.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reviews I've seen said it did a good job on pistols. Mike isn't here yet but I've got the booster and piston, hopefully I'll have it I a few months I'll post my thoughts when I take it out

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Thanks Todd.

Do you know if an RMR on a pistol will clear the Wolfman body?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a wolfman on my 9kt and it’s awesome. I think I’m going to move the Wolfman over to my Dakota Tactical when I get it, and put my omega 9k on the ptr. I’m assuming the approval for that will be in by the time I get my DT (ordered maybe 6 weeks ago, with 40 week lead time), bought the 9k around the same time.

Odessa is more of a pistol can. Sure it will work, but there are better options.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I dropped a lot of coin on my PTR 9c and wanted a dedicated can that would perform best on a PCC. Went with the GSL Phoenix.  No regrets due to the performance.  Then I figured I needed a 9mm pistol and silencer so I picked up a Glock 17/5 and an Innovative Arms 9SX. Still in NFA jail.  Now this has been spread out over 3 years, not overnight.  
I guess what I’m trying to say is do you want to just make do or get cans designed for each purpose? If you pull the can off a pistol and put it on a MP5, do you have to remove the piston?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Is that a silencer or a Flaming Pig??  
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is that a silencer or a Flaming Pig??  
View Quote

Vienna Sausage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Vienna Sausage.
View Quote

Bwahahahaha!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Screen name checks out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol

Quoted:

Vienna Sausage.

Double lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got the Odessa cause it fit with the Surefire light/hand guard. I havnt shot it in this configuration yet so I'm not much help. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/429468/EB8E50EC-9B19-4FC9-8FD5-35EB9C493B63_jpe-1870509.JPG
View Quote
Have you had a chance to this yet? Really curious how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Chose Wolfman and could not be happier on my PTR 9CT
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Even if the silencer you put on that gun went all the way to the shoulder behind the threads, you should never be using an O-Ring there with a silencer. That O-ring's sole purpose is to retain the thread protector.
View Quote

FWIW, it wasn’t my can or host, and it was unfired.  Only mounted for test fitting purposes and I didn’t take the picture nor was I present for it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top