Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2020 9:29:34 PM EDT
Is there a flat bottom made to take my DPMS 308 magazines? I have a bunch of 308 DPMS mags on hand. If there is nothing made to take DPMS, then can you name me a brand bottom metal that will take other brand $25-$35 magazines? I don't wish to buy $70 AIC magazines if I don't have to.

Below photo is of a typical kind of bottom metal I'm looking for. I don't care if it has a lever on it, or a button inside the trigger guard. Ill accept it too if it isn't all flat and has the M5 style step.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What cutout does your stock have ? If it takes the M5 style bottom metal magpul magazines are what your after price wise.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What cutout does your stock have ? If it takes the M5 style bottom metal magpul magazines are what your after price wise.
View Quote

I'm going to alter a Rem 700 stock as necessary myself to make the bottom-metal fit. I have already done this successfully with a Pacific T&G bottom-metal that takes the expensive AIC magazine. I have various different wood and composite stocks on hand already, and plan to buy a donor Remington 700 barreled action on GBroker.

I don't know if the magpul 308 magazine is interchangeable with my 10 year old 308 DPMS metal magazines that I have in the same way the 5.56 magpuls are interchangeable with other 5.56 magazines. That would be great if they are. But either way I'd rather buy 308 magpuls instead of $70 AIC magazines.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#3]
For a Remington Bolt action In .308  Badger Ordnance bottom metal and Surgeon Bottom metal run AI compatible mags.  MagPull makes some AI compatible mags as does Ruger. Yes the AI mags are ex[pensive but they work.
Mag Pull also came up with their own stocks and bottom metal to go AI compatible.  

mags that don't work in bolt action rifles so far as I know.
DPMS 20 round mags
FN FAL 20 round mags
H&K 91  20 round mags
M1a / M14 20 round mags
Armalite makes both proprietary  mag and DPMS  mag compatible guns.

Ruger does have some Ruger American Bolt action rifles that run AR-15 mags  .223   300 blk  and their 7.62x39 runs mini 30 mags.
Savage has started making some rifle with bottom metal for AI mags and by the time you buy the bottom metal pay a gunsmith to install it you are close to the same cost as a new Savage.

I know its clear as mud just buy the bottom meta and get a couple of Mag Pull mags and a couple of AI mags and call it good.
I wish someone make extended Tikka mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger and magpul make aics pattern mags in the $30 price range
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You’re not getting a 700 to feed from a large frame AR mag without A LOT of work on the action, bolt, and bottom metal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  For a Remington Bolt action In .308  Badger Ordnance bottom metal and Surgeon Bottom metal run AI compatible mags.  MagPull makes some AI compatible mags as does Ruger. Yes the AI mags are ex[pensive but they work.
Mag Pull also came up with their own stocks and bottom metal to go AI compatible.  

mags that don't work in bolt action rifles so far as I know.
DPMS 20 round mags
FN FAL 20 round mags
H&K 91  20 round mags
M1a / M14 20 round mags
Armalite makes both proprietary  mag and DPMS  mag compatible guns.

Ruger does have some Ruger American Bolt action rifles that run AR-15 mags  .223   300 blk  and their 7.62x39 runs mini 30 mags.
Savage has started making some rifle with bottom metal for AI mags and by the time you buy the bottom metal pay a gunsmith to install it you are close to the same cost as a new Savage.

I know its clear as mud just buy the bottom meta and get a couple of Mag Pull mags and a couple of AI mags and call it good.
I wish someone make extended Tikka mags.
View Quote

Both Ruger and Mossberg make bolt-actions that will run SR-25/DPMS & M-14/M1a mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks gentlemen for all your input.  I'm going to stick with a factory Remington 700 barreled action. I checked into what you guys were saying to learn more about magpul and see that their polymer PMAG AC magazine  is half the price of an AICS magazine and is designed to work wherever the AICS magazine works. The $129 flat PT&G bottom-metal pictured in my OPost has worked fine for me with a 5 shot AICS magazine in a 6.5CM rifle I built 8 years ago. So, I'll just buy another PT&G flat bottom-metal along with 10 round pmags that I can use in both rifles.

I want a rifle that shoots consistent 3/4" MOA 5 shot groups. I prefer 1/2" to 5/8" groups with handloads. Remington 700 gives me the most options with riflestocks I already have on hand, and most smiths also work with the Rem700 if I choose to rebarrel for accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Ruger Scout uses its own proprietary mags, not SR-25/DPMS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for clarifying me on that, as I had wrongly assumed from your other post above that you were saying the Ruger Scout would take the DPMS 308 (SR-25) mags. I realize now that you did say "Ruger", but you didn't say the Scout.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You’re not getting a 700 to feed from a large frame AR mag without A LOT of work on the action, bolt, and bottom metal.
View Quote

Yup. Lot of Smiths tried and gave up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
TTIRTMI
View Quote

lol.  When google or the Urban Dictionary has no clue what this means.....then

ABCDEFG or JKLMNOP back to you too buddy!

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not proprietary just AICS mags unless I’m mistaken.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct

Ruger mag on the left, AICS on the right.

Both interchangeable between my Ruger scout and AICS stocked M700
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Good to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top