Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2022 12:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG]
So in my googling I found that the axis uses 10/110 barrels. I found one place that mentioned that all you need to do to switch from short action calibers to long action calibers is swap the trigger guard and magazine. I thought the whole action had to be different?
What I'm looking for is a gun I can buy and convert it to different calibers later.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?

The axis is a sub par platform, at best. Working firearms retail for 7 years I had literally sent hundreds of Axis rifles back for repair, with many being broken out of the box.

It may appear to be cheap, but it’s a false economy. You will dump so much money into it to make it even a mediocre rifle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AASG:  So in my googling I found that the axis uses 10/110 barrels. I found one place that mentioned that all you need to do to switch from short action calibers to long action calibers is swap the trigger guard and magazine. I thought the whole action had to be different?
What I'm looking for is a gun I can buy and concert it to different calibers later.
View Quote

At a minimum start w/ the Axis 2, which has the good trigger.  The Axis/Axis 2 is a long action modern cheap tube action, the only difference between calibers is the bolt face & the magazine.

Interestingly, the Mossberg MVP .308 uses a Savage compatible bbl, and while the Rem 788 didn't use a Savage bbl nut, I've heard it used Savage compatible bbls.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
OR Have Bullberry build you a custom barrel or two and sell you a TC Encore frame possibly pick up some other calibers of barrels off EBAY or https://www.eabco.com/encore.html
https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/oldcustom-encore-barrels  

Then you can change caliber with a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By meestermurphy:
Why?

The axis is a sub par platform, at best. Working firearms retail for 7 years I had literally sent hundreds of Axis rifles back for repair, with many being broken out of the box.

It may appear to be cheap, but it’s a false economy. You will dump so much money into it to make it even a mediocre rifle.
View Quote

I didn't realize how bad they are. This is the first time I've heard this. I never see 10s or 110s locally, only axis'. My state (oregon) is going through some bullshit and after December 8th there will be no more firearms sales until? This would probably be my last firearm purchase for my lifetime so I wanted something I can experiment with different calibers down the road.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AASG:  I didn't realize how bad they are. This is the first time I've heard this. I never see 10s or 110s locally, only axis'. My state (oregon) is going through some bullshit and after December 8th there will be no more firearms sales until? This would probably be my last firearm purchase for my lifetime so I wanted something I can experiment with different calibers down the road.
View Quote

Relax a bit.  You'll still be able to purchase rifles & shotguns in other states, and Oregon won't be able to turn off firearm sales for very long.  I sold quite a few Axis at Academy and didn't have any come back over that year.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a matching pair of Axis (cammo in 30.06) for my Son & me from Wal-Mart back when they were having one of their inventory blowouts (pre-COVID) which also featured a significant rebate from Savage.  Win, Win & WIN!

They have both been great shooters - very accurate if the Nut behind the Butt does his part.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Go out and find yourself an older Remington 700 long action and do a Savage barrel nut conversion. (ReMage)
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I am another one that has not heard of or seen any major problems with the Savage Axis. No they aren't as well made as the Model 10/110 but they are still good rifles (for the money).

That being said, if you are looking at re barreling your Axis, go with a heavier barrel such as the Savage varmint barrels or heavier. All of my Savage Model10/110 and MkII/93 rifles have the Savage Varmint barrel on them. The Varmint barrels are more accurate than the sporter barrels.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:  I am another one that has not heard of or seen any major problems with the Savage Axis. No they aren't as well made as the Model 10/110 but they are still good rifles (for the money).

That being said, if you are looking at re barreling your Axis, go with a heavier barrel such as the Savage varmint barrels or heavier. All of my Savage Model10/110 and MkII/93 rifles have the Savage Varmint barrel on them. The Varmint barrels are more accurate than the sporter barrels.
View Quote

The whole advantage to a bbl nut action like the Savage, the Remington 788, the Mossberg MVP, or the Ruger American is you can swap bbls at any time.  You can have a lightweight pencil 16" for stalking and a 26" bull for prairie dogs, in different calibers, and change them on your tailgate.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The Axis/Axis2 I believe has only one action length, which is why you can "just buy a new barrel and ..."

For the Savage 10/110 series though, a 110 should be able to shoot any short or long action round, and a 10 should handle any short action round.

Personally until you get into the magnums I don't think there is a common/standard long action that doesn't have a 100fps difference short action equivalent, and I think the shortest action that will hold your desired round is best.

And again personally I'd go with the 10 or 110 series over the Axis, just because the price difference isn't really much and if swapping things around is your goal you'll find a lot more to fit a 10/110 than a Axis/Axis2.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
The Axis/Axis2 I believe has only one action length, which is why you can "just buy a new barrel and ..."

For the Savage 10/110 series though, a 110 should be able to shoot any short or long action round, and a 10 should handle any short action round.

Personally until you get into the magnums I don't think there is a common/standard long action that doesn't have a 100fps difference short action equivalent, and I think the shortest action that will hold your desired round is best.

And again personally I'd go with the 10 or 110 series over the Axis, just because the price difference isn't really much and if swapping things around is your goal you'll find a lot more to fit a 10/110 than a Axis/Axis2.
View Quote

So in the old days the 110 was long but are the new 110's still long actions? Savage has done so much weird changing around I quit trying to keep up with them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:26:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#12]
Why?

The axis is a sub par platform, at best.
View Quote

I'm a huge Savage fan boy, but I absolutely agree with this. I'd sell the Axis and start with a numbered series Savage. The 10/110, 11/111, 12/112, etc, are all the same action and excellent platforms to build upon.

I bought a Axis on clearance a few years ago. It shot great, but everything on it was super cheap. The bolt receiver seemed like a lousy design, the bolt handle felt cheap, the trigger was one of the worst I've used on a modern bolt action, the stock was terrible, etc. It just felt like a throwaway rifle. They aren't that much cheaper than a numbered series Savage, but they are significantly less quality.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

I'm a huge Savage fan boy, but I absolutely agree with this. I'd sell the Axis and start with a numbered series Savage. The 10/110, 11/111, 12/112, etc, are all the same action and excellent platforms to build upon.

I bought an Axis on clearance a few years ago. It shot great, but everything on it was super cheap. The bolt receiver seemed like a lousy design, the bolt handle felt cheap, the trigger was one of the worst I've used on a modern bolt action, the stock was terrible, etc. It just felt like a throwaway rifle. They aren't that much cheaper than a numbered series Savage, but they are significantly less quality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
Why?

The axis is a sub par platform, at best.

I bought an Axis on clearance a few years ago. It shot great, but everything on it was super cheap. The bolt receiver seemed like a lousy design, the bolt handle felt cheap, the trigger was one of the worst I've used on a modern bolt action, the stock was terrible, etc. It just felt like a throwaway rifle. They aren't that much cheaper than a numbered series Savage, but they are significantly less quality.

I will add some of the things we would commonly send them back for repair for, on behalf of the customer or out of the box.

Dead triggers, triggers stopped working (Axis and Axis 2)

Light strikes/dead/broken firing pins/ not cocking

Safeties not working or sticking

Extractors breaking or self disassembling during use

Scope based stripped from the factory, pre installed bases with seized/cross threaded screws.

If you get one with a factory installed scope, the scope is generally trashed. Have seen tubes crushed by too many Ugga duggas out of the box. Broken reticles, rings flush on one side, huge gap on the other. Most of the scopes shit the bed within a box or two of ammo (the garbage scope on the $299 special one)

Magazine release built into the magazine on the Axis 1 was activated by pressing and flexing the plastic. Cannot tell you how many spare magazines we sold due to the catch breaking, and the dozens of stories of people out hunting in the cold, going to shoot their deer and cycling the rifle to find out that the magazine fell out god knows when.

We sold tons of them, and I would be honest to the customers that I sold them to of the issues that I observed with them. Most of the customers were buying for the price point and had the mentality of “it won’t happen to me”. The majority of these issues as detailed above were reported by customers to occur out of the box, or within a box or two of ammo.

There is no way that I could remotely recommend a Savage axis to anyone based upon my 7 years of seeing them fail.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

So in the old days the 110 was long but are the new 110's still long actions? Savage has done so much weird changing around I quit trying to keep up with them.
View Quote

2 digit is short action, 3 digit is long action, at least if the number starts with a 1 (there is the Mdl 25 Walking Varminter which is neither a long nor short action and is totally different from the 1x/1xx series)

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]

2 digit is short action, 3 digit is long action, at least if the number starts with a 1 (there is the Mdl 25 Walking Varminter which is neither a long nor short action and is totally different from the 1x/1xx series)

View All Quotes

I'm aware that's how it was in the past but they started doing a bunch of models that were 10's and are now 110's even though many were only available in short action calibers. There are posts on other forums where people got new 110's that were short actions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#16]
I don't know if I can help here, but I have a Model 116 in 30'06, and though the physical action and bolt-throw is long enough to handle a 375 H&H mag, Savage has managed to fuck it up to the point, it can no longer handle a longer case.
They have installed a clip type insert to center feed the rounds, kinda like a 224, 378, 460 Weatherby.  The clip takes away quite a bit of usable space so its max capacity is 30'06 length in what was otherwise a 375 H&H length action.
Additionally, they have double fucked the owner by machining away the action rails, so even if you remove the clip, you have no way of keeping the rounds from flying out the top.  You can't go back to a conventional feed system and have
no way to reconfigure the action to run 375 H&H length cartridges.  Oh, but wait, there is more to this fiasco.  The bottom metal has a center tab at the rear and it also eats up some feed box length.  So even if you were able to make some
sort of "feed clip" with no front or back ends, the bottom metal tab would still block the path of the 375 H&H length shells.

I don't know....seems pretty lame to have a 375 length action that can't be used for 375 length cartridges.

Tony

Edited to add: Savage makes the 116 in 375 H&H, but clearly, the action and/or bottom metal is not the same as the 30'06 version.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

The whole advantage to a bbl nut action like the Savage, the Remington 788, the Mossberg MVP, or the Ruger American is you can swap bbls at any time.  You can have a lightweight pencil 16" for stalking and a 26" bull for prairie dogs, in different calibers, and change them on your tailgate.
View Quote

Do any of those use savage barrels?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AASG:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  The whole advantage to a bbl nut action like the Savage, the Remington 788, the Mossberg MVP, or the Ruger American is you can swap bbls at any time.  You can have a lightweight pencil 16" for stalking and a 26" bull for prairie dogs, in different calibers, and change them on your tailgate.

The Mossberg MVP .308 does.  I've heard the Remington 788 does but uses a Remington bbl nut, but I've not confirmed that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Do you have a bunch of savage barrels?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AASG:  Do any of those use savage barrels?

There are a whole bunch of Savage take-off bbls, as Savage has produced the 10/110 series since 1963.  That's a rather large library of barrels that don't need fitting, they just screw in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#21]

There are a whole bunch of Savage take-off bbls, as Savage has produced the 10/110 series since 1963.  That's a rather large library of barrels that don't need fitting, they just screw in.
View All Quotes

I'm aware I was just wondering if it had to be savage. We live in an age where there are barrels available for several rifles. Barrels are cheaper than the ammo to burn them out so most overthink it while planning out their guns.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Greybeard] [#22]

I'm aware that's how it was in the past but they started doing a bunch of models that were 10's and are now 110's even though many were only available in short action calibers. There are posts on other forums where people got new 110's that were short actions.
View All Quotes

I have a old 110 that is a .223, heavy Barrel, synthetic stock.
Think originally only one action; long, spacer on bolt to shorten throw and short mag attached to action.

Also used to have a 7Mag 110. Identical action to the.223. Hunter profile barrel on the 7mag.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm aware I was just wondering if it had to be savage. We live in an age where there are barrels available for several rifles. Barrels are cheaper than the ammo to burn them out so most overthink it while planning out their guns.
View All Quotes

I look at the Savage bbl library more from a caliber & profile change perspective, not replacing burnt out bbls.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#24]

View All Quotes

I searched and couldn't find any affordable barrels, or many barrels at all for any of those, but savages are everywhere.

Now I'm looking seriously at this. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57734
Of the guns you listed all that's available to me is the Ruger American.
I'm thinking about this savage, but all they have is 6.5 which I really didn't want, so I'd be swapping it to .308 or .358 pretty quick.
ETA is this a small shank or large shank?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#25]

I searched and couldn't find any affordable barrels, or many barrels at all for any of those, but savages are everywhere.

Now I'm looking seriously at this. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57734
I'm thinking about this savage, but all they have is 6.5 which I really didn't want, so I'd be swapping it to .308 or .358 pretty quick.
View All Quotes

There are 308 versions of that all over the place. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/57734. As for barrels there are Remage barrels for Remington Howage barrels for Howa etc. Barrel nut setup for Tikka/Ruger American

You can add a nut to all kinds of bolt actions. Savage does it from the factory because it's cheap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]

There are 308 versions of that all over the place. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/57734. As for barrels there are Remage barrels for Remington Howage barrels for Howa etc. Barrel nut setup for Tikka/Ruger American

You can add a nut to all kinds of bolt actions. Savage does it from the factory because it's cheap.
View Quote

The weird thing is I can buy a 6.5 for $300 less than I can order the .308 version. I can buy a new take off 308 barrel for $125.

I'm still kind of confused, the "remage", are they actually using a savage barrel? Because faxon sells specific remage barrels. They don't say you can use them on any other platform. And that barrel nut for the Tikka/Ruger American you linked to said it only worked with that companies barrels. I'm pretty sure I'll get a savage platform anyways.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]

The weird thing is I can buy a 6.5 for $300 less than I can order the .308 version. I can buy a new take off 308 barrel for $125.

I'm still kind of confused, the "remage", are they actually using a savage barrel? Because faxon sells specific remage barrels. They don't say you can use them on any other platform. And that barrel nut for the Tikka/Ruger American you linked to said it only worked with that companies barrels. I'm pretty sure I'll get a savage platform anyways.
View Quote

A Remage is a barrel with the standard Remington thread profile, but no shoulder.  The "shoulder" is provided by the barrel nut, which is also threaded in the standard Remington profile.  Savage uses different threading, so as a result, Savage barrels won't fit on a Remington, you'd need a specific remage barrel and barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Link to that gun in 6.5 for $450?? All guns basically work the same so if you are willing to use a nut it's an easy thing to get popular. In the past most people didn't care about swapping barrels around and the nut was the cheap way to do it. If I really want to end up with a switch barrel gun I'll buy something that uses a QD or at least a shouldered prefit so I don't have mess with headspace gauges and barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#30]
Originally Posted By shotar:
I am going to differ with the common opinion here.  The Axis has proven to be a great rifle for the $$ and is damned simple to work on...

Now, are these budget rifles the epitome of firearms weaponry?  No, there are many better rifles.  Even within savages own line, they make better stuff out of the box.  However, they can easily be make to be very good and more than suitable for most stuff people will do with them.  
View Quote

This is where I am. I paid $199 for my .223 Axis used. Stock was dinged up, some white paint splatter on it like it was stored in a paint truck, action nice and slick from use. But it's been a great rifle for me, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top