Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/15/2018 1:50:52 PM EDT
Curious how they differ from the M82A1 being offered to civilians.

If anyone has some pics of the special limited edition civilian run of M107s, that would be nice to have too to compare.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This M107 was used by MSOT 8222 and took a round.

Only real M107 marking pic I could find.

This one's airsoft but looks like they got it right.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh cool! This is great. Now does anyone have a pic of one of the limited edition civilan M107s that were floating around?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Figured someone would appreciate the follow up so here it is. I found one. To be honest I'm personally super disappointed since there are multiple differences between this roll mark and the military one as you can see (including the note to "read manual" on it as well). If anything the current civilian model m82a1 feels more genuine to me and I'd wager is likely used with the same roll marks by more people than this wrongly marked special edition. Oh well. Good reason to save money and just buy the base model if you're in the market for one and don't feel the special edition matches enough. Good on Barrett for offering this version, but just wish it went further.

Ps. I can't seem to figure out how to post images off mobile so I only have the link to where i found it:

M107 Civ
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd wager that most people on this forum don't care about slight differences in markings - hell, the markings might be more up to date than the one shown above.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah. I realize that. It's likely why they made so few. For those that do care though, it just seems that the special edition doesn't have too much to offer in terms of authenticity. Unless you really really gotta have "M107" stamped on it, it just seems like there is nothing worth paying any extra for. the people selling these guns typically raise the price over a standard m82a1 substantially since they are a special edition and others might assume they are roll marked just like the military ones so it's just good to get the info out there and let them decide if the roll mark differences are a deal breaker. I'm just fascinated by military clones and like small details which is why I asked. Besides Sig's MK25, it seems all major manufacturers get the military clone roll marks wrong and I'm pretty sure it's intentionally done due to agreements with the military to not put the same markings on non mil products.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It's Photobucket, so direct linking won't work.
Attachment Attached File

I'm not in the market for a Barrett (maybe one day) but if I was, I would be uninterested in the "special edition" if it was not essentially identical to an issued M107, and that would to a small extent include the markings. For $12k you'd think they'd try to make it as close to the same thing as possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for putting the photo in here kitbuilder. I'm with you, if you produce a clone edition and upcharge, I'd personally want it to be spot on to warrant paying hundreds let alone thousands more for a roll mark.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Besides Sig's MK25, it seems all major manufacturers get the military clone roll marks wrong and I'm pretty sure it's intentionally done due to agreements with the military to not put the same markings on non mil products.
View Quote
I'm not so sure about that. Usually, if there's an agreement about such things, it's to not sell the military product to non-government civilian consumers, however, when DoD purchases are COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) such as the SIG P226, the Barrett, or a Toyota Tacoma then such restrictions do not exist.

I think they could mark it exactly the same if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not so sure about that. Usually, if there's an agreement about such things, it's to not sell the military product to non-government civilian consumers, however, when DoD purchases are COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) such as the SIG P226, the Barrett, or a Toyota Tacoma then such restrictions do not exist.

I think they could mark it exactly the same if they wanted to.
View Quote
Huh. You're probably right. I thought they had to since the M107 was a refined version of the original COTS m82/m82a1s that they developed jointly with the mil after the mil requested changes. It it truly was a COTS purchase without the restrictions, however, and they didn't have that restriction, it seems like an odd choice to mark it wrong. I guess it doesn't really matter though since it is likely true that there are very few people that would care and the military M107 config is honestly kinda worse for most anyway since the M107's sharp feet of the bipod are likely to be a hindrance unless you're exclusively shooting off of rocks, dirt, or other stuff you don't mind the feet tearing up. Cool it may be, but without that roll mark being exact, collectors would probably be better served buying the bipod and pins separately to make their own M107 without the roll mark tax for a roll mark that isn't even correct.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
It could be that the DoD owns the TDP, but if the special edition has features from the issued weapon, then they're allowing Barrett to utilize it commercially.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrett must own it/have permission then since even the M82A1s sold now are literally the same gun sans roll mark, bipod spikes, and takedown pins (all of which are easily swappable accessories). Guess they must have just wanted to be able to very easily differentiate civil ones for things like servicing and also help with their safety liability by keeping the "read owners manual" note which unfortunately means the whole model ends up missing the mark for clones and collectors.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top