Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2018 11:04:27 PM EDT
A Schwab "FireGuard" safe.

It's at least 30 years old, possibly more. It's about the size of a refrigerator. It's been in one of my garages for a couple decades. It has a UL tag inside the door that says "Listed Relocking Device" and has a stamped serial number. Model number sticker says "2557 CTS." The outside door panel says, "FireGuard by Schwab 150F-1hr."

It has an SG mechanical combo lock, three locking bars (one on top, on the side, and on the bottom). Inside the safe is another door (with no lock), that opens to a smaller interior.

My dad acquired the safe from a friend who was cleaning out either a bank or an insurance company. When I bought the garage from my father 11 years ago, the safe went to me. I had forgotten all about it.

ETA: looks just like the one on the right, only perhaps bigger.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a big one at work I've been trying to get. It was used to store data tapes. It's a few thousand pounds and iirc msrp was close to 10k. It sits dormant
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Schwab was a very respected and long lived safe manufacturer.  They were acquired by Sentry a few years back and most of the good stuff that they made was discontinued.  Data safes are not in high demand, but are very expensive to replace.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a big one at work I've been trying to get. It was used to store data tapes. It's a few thousand pounds and iirc msrp was close to 10k. It sits dormant
View Quote
Make an offer on it
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make an offer on it
View Quote
Building manger said I could have it but it got squashed due to liability
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I just just spent 4K on a safe like the smaller one.    We needed additional capacity for backup drives at work.   It weighs approx 800 lbs and is rated RSC for security.   It has a three hour fire rating for 125 degrees.    I forget what the actual UL rating is called.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just guessing, but the one I've got is about six feet tall, three feet wide, and thirty inches deep. It's been sitting in my garage with ammo in it for years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top