Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2019 11:54:50 PM EDT
Like the title says - any way to check by SN if a MG is transferable?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You can send a letter instead.

Actually, if you call NFA Branch, that may be what they'll instruct you to do.
Some people have their attorney contact ATF for them.

Just don't admit to possession (since I'll assume you haven't possessed it), and be prepared to DEMIL (per current standards) the receiver if they reply that it isn't registered, or have a museum already lined up to donate the thing to (if you want to go that route, and one wants it).

You might also consider offering it to a firearms enthusiast at a local LE agency. They can register them on Form 10 (which is the forever .gov-only form, same as a museum would use). The ATF will almost certainly destroy it if surrendered to them.

Before any of this, read the sticky here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/So-you-found-an-MG-in-the-attic--/17-322347/
and make sure you've exhausted all efforts to locate any registration paperwork through your own local resources.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just don't admit to possession (since I'll assume you haven't possessed it), and be prepared to DEMIL (per current standards) the receiver if they reply that it isn't registered, or have a museum already lined up to donate the thing to (if you want to go that route, and one wants it).

You might also consider offering it to a firearms enthusiast at a local LE agency. They can register them on Form 10 (which is the forever .gov-only form, same as a museum would use). The ATF will almost certainly destroy it if surrendered to them.

Before any of this, read the sticky here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/So-you-found-an-MG-in-the-attic--/17-322347/
and make sure you've exhausted all efforts to locate any registration paperwork through your own local resources.
View Quote
Perfect, thank you!

unfortunately, it isn't anything I found or have possession of and the police have it - I just wanted to see if we were going to lose one more off of the list. I figured if I could check myself it'd save some time but I'll get a hold of the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If LE calls ATF, they will normally tell them over the phone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
what is it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what is it?
View Quote
Sten Mk III

Link Posted: 6/15/2019 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sometimes it comes back as 'unregistered' even after previous stamped transfers.  Unless the ATF owns up to an error in their (error-riddled) registry, even an item transferred in good faith can end up being contraband.  Always a good idea to ping the registry as a precaution before money changes hands.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sten Mk III

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what is it?
Sten Mk III

I have a MkII,

Who is the maker? That would tell you alot.

If you can, please tell us the story..
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Always a good idea to ping the registry as a precaution before money changes hands.
View Quote
Have you done this?

Did ATF advise the status (transferable, pre-sample, etc.)?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a MkII,

View Quote
Lines Bro's

without getting into anything that will reveal too much info - a criminal had it on him (in a bag) walking the street
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lines Bro's
Never heard of them

without getting into anything that will reveal too much info - a criminal had it on him (in a bag) walking the street

well its not in his hands, I hope it finds it way to its owner
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a MkII,

Lines Bro's
Never heard of them

well its not in his hands, I hope it finds it way to its owner
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lines Bro's
View Quote
Lines Bros. designed and produced the Sten MK III in WWII (and produced MK II Stens prior to that, I think). Theirs were marked L.B.

The LE who seized it should've checked it against the NCIC database. That'd reveal if a legit owner had reported it stolen.

If not, NFA Branch will advise them if it's registered (and to whom).
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lines Bro's

View Quote
Was "Lines Bros" marked on the mag well?  That company would be the maker of the original Sten.

I'm sure you have checked, but are there ***any other markings on the receiver tube***, especially around the rear sight?

If you see anything like the following on the tube:

CATCO
Charles Erb
DLO Mfg
FAKTS
Fleming Firearms
Interport
John Stemple
Pearl Mfg
Qualified Mfg
Rubin
S&H Arms
Silver Bullet (York)
Specialty Weapons
Taylor Manufacturing
Wilson Arms
York Arms
(source: STENS OF THE WORLD, PART 2: U.S. STENS - Small Arms Defense Journal)

These were U.S. manufacturers of Sten receiver tubes, and imported Sten parts kits were used to build "tube" guns (from 1968 to 1986) after transferable foreign MGs could not be imported after 1968.

They had their own U.S. serial numbers, for example, my Taylor Manufacturing Sten MkII has "BT xx" for a serial number (where "xx" are two digits) on the tube just next to the rear sight.

If there are absolutely no markings on the tube, then it may be a pretty rare C&R Sten, imported or brought into the U.S. before 1968.

+1 to checking with NFA Branch, and to running the serial number(s) to see if it's been reported stolen.

Somewhere out there, there may be a poor guy pining for his stolen puppy, I mean Sten gun...

[ETA] By checking, I mean the LE agency who now has possession of the MG should do the checking, not you (unless you're an LEO).
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#13]
What I've read, from a tacked thread in the nfa forums, you get a lawyer to send the letter to the atf asking about it being on the registry. The lawyer simply refers to the firearm, not the person in possession, as.another step towards anonymity.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I've read, from a tacked thread in the nfa forums, you get a lawyer to send the letter to the atf asking about it being on the registry. The lawyer simply refers to the firearm, not the person in possession, as.another step towards anonymity.
View Quote
That would be correct, if the OP had found the MG in his deceased relative's attic, for example.

However, the Sten in question is now in the possession of the police, so they can just check directly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lines Bros. designed and produced the Sten MK III in WWII (and produced MK II Stens prior to that, I think). Theirs were marked L.B.

The LE who seized it should've checked it against the NCIC database. That'd reveal if a legit owner had reported it stolen.

View Quote
Yep - not NCIC stolen which is why I'm wondering .

It was rattle can'd black but I'll see if it had anything else

appreciate all the feedback guys.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#16]
On more than one occasion I have had NFA guns walk into our shop, usually some widow who found something of her husbands and had no idea what a tax stamp was.

I've always just called the NFA branch, gave them the guns info including serial number and asked if it was in the registry. They have almost always came back as not registered. I just said OK thanks, have a nice day. ATF has never once asked where the firearm was, who had it, etc. They did not care. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As simple as a Sten is to build, I wouldnt be surprised if it was just a kit that someone put together and not an original.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of the older markings are small and can be very hard to find. A customer came into our shop with one and you just about needed a magnifying glass to read the markings and they were by the mag well
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never seen an original C&R Sten that had anything on the F3 or F4 but "England" as far as the manufacturer was concerned.....

Same thing with most ww2 German MG's....... nothing but "Germany" in the Mfg. block.

The people registering these things in the 40's-50's-60's didn't have access to the info we have now...

The amnesty registered MP-40 I owned years ago had "MP-40 122 40" listed as the serial number......and "German Mfg" as the manufacturer....the actual serial number was nowhere to be found on the F4

That's the kind of thing that can make it tough to find out if it's registered
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at this Sten.  Brought in as a WWII bringback.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top