Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2020 1:52:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Thompson Encore, I just bought the Barrel before hunting season 2019/20. it is an E. Aurthur Brown Barrel and it works Great. Having good luck with 200gr Hornary, just having trouble finding them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Thompson Encore, I just bought the Barrel before hunting season 2019/20. it is an E. Arthur Brown Barrel and it works Great. Having good luck with 200 gr Hornady, just having trouble finding them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
it's Whelen, Friend of mine has one, he took to Africa for a plains game safari.  It took everything he aimed at.   He also took a moose with it in Alaska.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My dream Fudd rifle is a Griffin & Howe repro in .35 Whelen.  See below for real G & H:

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
No but I’ve wanted one for years. Not even sure why.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I absolutely love mine. Its a 300yd freight train that is easy on the shoulder.  

Incredible round.

I built mine out from a 700 cdl sf, put it in a chassis and put a VX5 3-15 on it..
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow! That is great looking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I absolutely love mine. Its a 300yd freight train that is easy on the shoulder.  

Incredible round.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49447/Rifle2-1287321.jpg

I built mine out from a 700 cdl sf, put it in a chassis and put a VX5 3-15 on ot.

Wow! That is great looking.

Thank you very much!  It’s a joy to shoot, and not too heavy to lug around. The aluminum chassis and carbon fiber bipod keep the weight down. The only hard part was making custom magazines out of 30-06 pmags.  I have a process down cold now, so if you go that route, hit me up.

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you very much!  It’s a joy to shoot, and not too heavy to lug around. The aluminum chassis and carbon fiber bipod keep the weight down. The only hard part was making custom magazines out of 30-06 pmags.  I have a process down cold now, so if you go that route, hit me up.

View Quote

Since you mentioned weight, what does it weigh?
If I saw a guy with that and ask him what it was chambered in, 35 Whelen isn't the answer I'd expect.
I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I saw a guy with that and ask him what it was chambered in, 35 Whelen isn't the answer I'd expect.
I like it a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it a lot.

It's my "Project Townie" rifle.  I really like the story of Whelen, and Mister Rifleman. I wanted a medium bore that can take anything in NA, but not be a barrel burner or a big magnum.

You know, I haven't put it on a scale.   It feels well balanced.  

Back of napkin:

Fluted Barrel, Action, bolt, trigger tech trigger: 6lbs
XLR LA Chassis: 1.6lbs
XLR Stock: 2.4lbs
Scope and Rings: 1.5lbs
Accumax Bipod: 0.5lbs

12lbs total.   I have a nice QD sling and slung across my body, I don't really feel it.  Granted, it's not my 9lb total Remington Seven .308 I usually hunt with, or a Q-Fix.  But it's a lot handier than a lot precision rifles that are 15-18lbs with a scope.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
any of the older 1903 sporters rebored to 35 whelen is tops...

the rebore guys in oregon do a great job of converting an older 30-06 with a damaged bore

buffalo bore 225 sierra loads are really good

a 250 round nose for the bigger stuff, some perfer the barnes copper bullets
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
i believe the rebore will run you about 250 these days from Jess

so if you can find a decet sporter for around 200-300 and just rebore it you can have yourself a nice classy rifle

for the 1903 type most people will tell you to search our the correct higher serial numbers

i also suggest finding one that had or has a scope or is drilled for a scope base already

something with missouri Fajen wood, or maybe a bishop stock is really nice
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
9.3x62 is more better
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But, I’m a little feller, so recoil is a consideration.
View Quote

It's the European .35 Whelen.  Balistically it's almost the same exept the common bullet weight is 286 grains vs. 250 of the Whelen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll check it out - I was kidding - 6'3"@250lbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, I’m a little feller, so recoil is a consideration.

It's the European .35 Whelen.  Balistically it's almost the same exept the common bullet weight is 286 grains vs. 250 of the Whelen.

I'll check it out - I was kidding - 6'3"@250lbs.

Because of the 30-06 parent case, 35 Whelen is very affordable to buy and reload.  You can usually find a box or two in a store.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#24]
310 woodleigh slugs are availible for whelen

they travel slow but don't stop for much
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
it's Whelen, Friend of mine has one, he took to Africa for a plains game safari.  It took everything he aimed at.   He also took a moose with it in Alaska.
View Quote

The .35 Whelen also made its reputation as a non-'magnum' cartridge that was a great killer of big bruins, as well as moose, caribou, elk, etc.

That's why it was called, paradoxically, 'the poor man's magnum.'   You could have a standard .30-06 converted over to .35W at very little cost way back in the day.  Many 1903 Springfields were converted to .35W and made their way up to AK.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i believe the rebore will run you about 250 these days from Jess

so if you can find a decet sporter for around 200-300 and just rebore it you can have yourself a nice classy rifle

for the 1903 type most people will tell you to search our the correct higher serial numbers

i also suggest finding one that had or has a scope or is drilled for a scope base already

something with missouri Fajen wood, or maybe a bishop stock is really nice
View Quote

Yes - correct range 1903s.  But 1917 Enfields too.  The 1917 action’s strength is legendary.  

The pawn-shops sometimes have a 1917 that was sadly “sporterized” but which could form the basis for an excellent 35 Whelen.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a Remington 7600 in .35W for about a decade, before it got stolen. Lots of fun, power to spare, I was planning on shortening the barrel around the time it was stolen.

I’m actually really interested in getting a bolt action .35W with a 16-20” barrel. For as monstrously effective as the 200-250 gr. softpoint full power factory loads were, I am curious to see how .357 Magnum pistol bullets behind a charge of Trail Boss would perform.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sq40:
I absolutely love mine. Its a 300yd freight train that is easy on the shoulder.  

Incredible round.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49447/Rifle2-1287321.jpg

I built mine out from a 700 cdl sf, put it in a chassis and put a VX5 3-15 on it..
View Quote

Don’t see that everyday...

Why limit it to 300 yards? I routinely took a 16” 358 yeti to 500 and it was limited by 2.30 COAL.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]
A .35 Whelen is my new project rifle.  I wanted a bolt action in .35 caliber, partially for hunting and partially just because it was interesting.

Not many options for production rifles in .35 Whelen.  I found a Rem 700 ADL in .270 Winchester on Gunbroker someone had chopped to 19”.  Not too much interest in a short barreled .370, so I picked it up at a good price.  

I sent it off to JES Reboring to have it rebored to .35 Whelen.  It came back to me just as my Governor shut down the state so I have yet to shoot it

Here’s a pic from the auction:

Attachment Attached File

It looks pretty much the same from the outside, except I replaced the cheap Simmons with a Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8.

I have test loads ready to go with 220 gr Speer bullets loaded over RL-15.  Made up a couple of dummy cartridges, and they feed just fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mustb123:

Good to know - the more I search, the more expensive it seems to get.

Maybe, I could take an old 'sporterized' 30-06 and have someone rebore it and at some point get a great looking chassis as seen above?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mustb123:
Originally Posted By goatboy_k:
any of the older 1903 sporters rebored to 35 whelen is tops...

the rebore guys in oregon do a great job of converting an older 30-06 with a damaged bore

buffalo bore 225 sierra loads are really good

a 250 round nose for the bigger stuff, some perfer the barnes copper bullets

Good to know - the more I search, the more expensive it seems to get.

Maybe, I could take an old 'sporterized' 30-06 and have someone rebore it and at some point get a great looking chassis as seen above?

Any bolt action rifle chambered in .30-06, or any cartridge using .30-06 as the parent case, can potentially be rebored into a .35 Whelen.  As the  .35 Whelen is just a necked up .30-06, the bolt head will be identical.  There needs to be sufficient barrel diameter fior the rebore, but I think it titled take a pretty light profile to make it impossible.

It costs $250 for a rebore from JES.  Just keep an eye out for an inexpensive -06 donor rifle.

Another option for a less expensive .35 Whelen build would be to get a Savage in an -06 family cartridge and do a barrel swap.

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm un-modifying a 35 Whelen 1903 back to original configuration if anyone wants the barrel and sporter stock.

John
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a friend many years back who's grandfather had a 35 Whelen.  I went deer hunting with his family and watched his grandfather knock the snot out of Mule deer buck.  It literally picked it up off it's feet and slammed it to the ground.  I have no idea what bullet he was using but it was a round nose so it would lead me to believe it was a 250gr.  

Closest thing i've had to a Whelen was a 350 Remington Magnum.  Ballistically it's a little faster than a Whelen.  It was a hammer of Thor so to speak with Hornady 250gr Round nose bullets.  The spire points in the same weight would need to be seated a little further in the case due to the magazine length.  It would shoot the 225gr Sierra Game Kings under an inch very consistently.  
Sadly I was going thru a phase where I was dumping rifles to buy lefties.  I doubled my money on when selling it but I miss it everyday.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Ruger made them around 2003 or so, blued with iron sights and 'boat paddle' Zytel stock.

I took a nice black bear with mine using 250gr Nosler Partition hand loads.

My son took his first deer with a Thompson Encore with a 35 Whelen barrel.

They really shine with 250gr bullets.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I lucked into mine.
I was working for a gunsmith at the time.  One day I walked in and he exclaimed, "You need a 35 Whelen!"  I was confused.  He grabbed a box from a stack on the bench behind him, set it on the work table, grabbed a clipboard with a 4473, and set that on top of the box.  He further explained that he got a call from one of his distributors about a handful of these as overruns.  A number of the boxes had already been spoken for by some regular customers.  He held one for me, if I wanted it (Why wouldn't I want one?).
It is a Remington 700 CDL Classic Deluxe.  We set it up with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm, in Warne rings and bases.  We went through ours and pillar and steel-bedded our own.  They came with a pressure point near the front tip inside the barrel channel of the stock.  It shot pretty decent, sub-MOA with it, so I left it there.  
I had dreams of filling one of my ex-wife's moose tags on her reservation for her.  That never got to happen.  Maybe I'll fill a bear tag with it some time.  It is a pleasure to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I lucked into mine.
I was working for a gunsmith at the time.  One day I walked in and he exclaimed, "You need a 35 Whelen!"  I was confused.  He grabbed a box from a stack on the bench behind him, set it on the work table, grabbed a clipboard with a 4473, and set that on top of the box.  He further explained that he got a call from one of his distributors about a handful of these as overruns.  A number of the boxes had already been spoken for by some regular customers.  He held one for me, if I wanted it (Why wouldn't I want one?).
It is a Remington 700 CDL Classic Deluxe.  We set it up with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm, in Warne rings and bases.  We went through ours and pillar and steel-bedded our own.  They came with a pressure point near the front tip inside the barrel channel of the stock.  It shot pretty decent, sub-MOA with it, so I left it there.  
I had dreams of filling one of my ex-wife's moose tags on her reservation for her.  That never got to happen.  Maybe I'll fill a bear tag with it some time.  It is a pleasure to shoot.

https://i.imgur.com/fiyAYrk.jpg
View Quote

Nice rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top