Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2021 11:28:43 AM EDT
Just started on a SRT team. was issued a carrier and helmet. Looking to connect with other tac medics to see what kind of loads out you carry
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The nice thing about TEMS is that it can be easier to prioritize med equipment over other stuff.
If you're a straight medic and you don't need to carry, I liked having hemcon/POI adjuncts and admin items on my vest to shrink my aid bag. Trauma panels are great for that too, especially if you can mount one on the bearcat.

ETA: regarding specifics I liked a NAR 4 Chest Pouch in place of a triple shingle, slimline M9/MR RATS aid bag, and I think LBT or SOTECH panel bag for the truck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah no carry as of now, maybe eventually but I can always pivot and redo it
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
A common practice is to carry a slim setup on your body (ie MARCH belt setup or a low-profile med bag like the M9) with a larger bag with more sustainment/advanced items dropped right outside the door or in the vehicle. Some things to take into consideration is if every officer already has an IFAK on them, that means you may have to carry less of the "basics" than you think (hemostatic agent, gauze, etc.) and not having to overload yourself.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A common practice is to carry a slim setup on your body (ie MARCH belt setup or a low-profile med bag like the M9) with a larger bag with more sustainment/advanced items dropped right outside the door or in the vehicle. Some things to take into consideration is if every officer already has an IFAK on them, that means you may have to carry less of the "basics" than you think (hemostatic agent, gauze, etc.) and not having to overload yourself.
View Quote

Thats a good point. We do have go bags and also door bags with everything but the kitchen sink
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Check our Prep Medic on youtube.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a medic, but I am on 2 teams and am an EMT (both teams occasionally have a medic, so I serve an unofficial capacity when they're not there).

I like a mid sized fanny pack for necessities. Can be donned and doffed easily, tossed to others, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
SWAT medic here. I have one of those Spiritus Systems sacks on my PC with a bunch of med gear. My pistol belt has a Blue Force Gear Micro trauma kit with the TQ Hammock.  I also carry a few extra tourniquets on my PC.  
I also have an M9 medic bag that is full of advanced stuff. It rides in the Bearcat with me
Team members all have IFAKs and TQ’s on their PC’s and some have med pouches on their belts.
Was a FF/medic for a long time before going LE.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not a medic, but from my perspective a medic that just assumes they will be able to mooch others life saving gear and therefore doesn't carry their own, is dropping the ball..
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not a medic, but from my perspective a medic that just assumes they will be able to mooch others life saving gear and therefore doesn't carry their own, is dropping the ball..
View Quote

Fair point, however, that's why IFAKs for everyone is an industry standard now. Sharing the load, at least at a minimum level frees up space for the medic to carry bulkier adjuncts like junctional TQs, traction splints or BVMs. Drugs too, especially on callouts to hood labs.
A medic at this level isn't just gonna assume though, they're doing inventory checks with some regularity, if not PCCs/PCIs when gearing up just before go time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fair point, however, that's why IFAKs for everyone is an industry standard now. Sharing the load, at least at a minimum level frees up space for the medic to carry bulkier adjuncts like junctional TQs, traction splints or BVMs. Drugs too, especially on callouts to hood labs.
A medic at this level isn't just gonna assume though, they're doing inventory checks with some regularity, if not PCCs/PCIs when gearing up just before go time.
View Quote

Good point, That makes sense, if you've got a team to share the load with
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have someone or a hospital/agency supplying your medical supplies or are they relying on you to provide it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No different than spreading belts of ammo, rockets, and mortors around.

I would want the medic as fast as possible
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#13]
68W here

Team SOP for IFAK/TQs (including your own)
PCC/PCI your guys regurlarly.
Train and test them on self aid/buddy aid (TQs, casualty drags/carries)

Think about illumination: working passive, under IR, blue (skip red lens), white light, etc. (I wrap a headlamp around my PC for workspace lighting)
Think about signal SOPs, marking/triaging casualties, and establishing CCPs.

Plate Carrier: fanny pack/Dangler with immediate TCCC items
Aid Bag with airway adjuncts/meds/bulky items/soft litter
Truck bag with everything else, maybe folding/rigid litter
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
As a domestic LE TEMS medic, you're very likely to use your medical equipment on non-LE personnel, so make sure you have enough stuff immediately available to cover down on a couple people who didn't bring their own IFAKs to the party.  Think suspects in custody, hostages, bystanders, etc.

Also, don't forget about CBRN/chemical agents (primarily OC/CS), both for training in your PPE and for decon/treatment afterwards
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
68W here

Team SOP for IFAK/TQs (including your own)
PCC/PCI your guys regurlarly.
Train and test them on self aid/buddy aid (TQs, casualty drags/carries)

Think about illumination: working passive, under IR, blue (skip red lens), white light, etc. (I wrap a headlamp around my PC for workspace lighting)
Think about signal SOPs, marking/triaging casualties, and establishing CCPs.

Plate Carrier: fanny pack/Dangler with immediate TCCC items
Aid Bag with airway adjuncts/meds/bulky items/soft litter
Truck bag with everything else, maybe folding/rigid litter
View Quote

Off to order a headlamp for my car bag.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#16]
In the same boat with not carrying, it’s on the horizon but a long way off.

I use a NAR-4 Chest pouch on my vest along with a dump pouch for a wounded Officer’s sidearm to go into and an admin pouch for some miscellaneous stuff.

All of our Officer’s carry an IFAK in a standardized place on the vest which makes it nice in the event we would need to utilize it.  Fortunately a few years ago we were able to completely overhaul the kits with up to date tourniquets, bandages, etc as well as the same pouch across the board.

All of the SWAT Medics have our own personal med bags that are StatPack Medslingers which works nice.  It carries a really surprising amount of equipment and is easy to carry and doff.  The material has held up great and is easy to clean.

Our BearCat and MRAP have M9 aid bags on them which are great for carrying stuff following the MARCH algorithm, but as a general purpose med bag for the stuff you’ll actually end up doing as a SWAT Medic, I like the StatPack better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I currently run a NAR4 pouch on my Plate carrier strictly bleeding control, 2 chest seals and 2 decomp needles.  with a secondary NAR TQ holder mounted horizontal just above the NAR 4 pouch.

We carry so strong side is obviously my G19 then from front traveling around to weak side (Holster - distraction device - tear away med pouch for "self Aid"- dump pouch for whatever - 2 pistol mag pouches)

For a pack im currently testing the Chinook Medical Medical operator pack. (picked up a used ACU cheap.  if i decide i like it ill put in a request for a new one)  Again all bleeding control, 1 SAM junctional and a stack of triage tags.

For additional equipment i currently have 2 S.O. Tech RAMMP bags easy to move around, can be hung in the Tahoe, Ambulance, CCP, wherever needed.  I really like them,  1 is additional medical and trauma equipment to included IV and fluids, Kings, etc.  the second bag is setup as essentially a restock kit for myself and the other Tacmed but also has some basic booboo items i.e. Band-Aids, OTC drugs, hot and cold packs, etc.  This comes in real handy for long duration standbys.  

ill try to get some pictures when i get off shift tomorrow morning!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top