Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2020 10:35:55 AM EDT
What is your favorite digital scale for rifle reloading?
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#1]
A&D FX120i.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A&D FX120i.
View Quote

Expensive, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A&D FX120i.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A&D FX120i.
View Quote

And I will add this for the next tier down:

https://www.adamequipment.com/hcb-123
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Scale

Read the reviews, apparently many reloaders are using this tiny crack scale.

I bought one and have used it a lot.  I set tare with the tin from my beam scale.  It returns perfectly to zero each time I put the tin back on.  Check weight is dead on.  Doublecheck with the beam scale is dead on.

I had to weigh a fairly large lot of loaded ammo to check consistency.  Priceless.  It paid for itself already. Even if you end up with a more expensive scale, this one certainly has its place.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of these Maxus digital scales & have been very happy with it.  It will measure down to .01 grains, my RCBS 505 scale only measures to .1 grains.  It's always been less than .05gr difference when compared to the beam scale so plenty consistent & feel it is probably more accurate than the RCBS scale.

https://www.amazon.com/Milligram-Reloading-Calibration-Pennyweigh-MAXUS/dp/B07ZQZ962K/
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
For hunting and blasting rifle ammo I use my Hornady Auto Charge to dispense and weigh. For precision stuff, I double-check with a Lyman pocket touch screen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The A&D FX120i costs around $600, and is listed as accurate to 1/1000 gram.  It should be mounted on something extremely solid and vibration free.  The draft shield it comes with is outstanding.  It has a data output port as well, so you can hook it up to a computer to track what you weigh.

On the other end of what I consider "acceptable" for handloading measurements is the GemPro 300.  I have their 250, which is discontinued.  The GemPro 300 costs around $200, and is also accurate to 1/1000 gram.  It also should be placed on a solid surface.  Its draft shield is smaller, but adequate for a scale pan.

The biggest practical difference is that the GemPro uses a load cell sensor, while the A&D uses a magnetic force restoration sensor.  For microgram scales, yes the magnetic force restoration is better.  But for me, it's not $400 better, as the resolution and accuracy of the GemPro is far beyond what's needed for handloading.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
1 gram = 15.432 & 1 grain = .06grains.   All my load data & my old scale .1 grains is the smallest increment .1 grains = .006 grams.  , having one that goes to .01 grains (.0006 grams) is plenty precise for my loads.  Maybe if I was a serious long range match shooter, I could see spending several hundred dollars on a scale that goes to .001 grams (.015 grains), but until then, the .01 grain increments is probably plenty precise for the average reloader, at least it is for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A&D FX120i.
View Quote

+1 - It's a good scale and a good value (almost as good as precision lab balances at 1/10 the price).
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had my Dillon D-terminator scale for 18 years and it's done me right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And I will add this for the next tier down:

https://www.adamequipment.com/hcb-123
View Quote

THAT is a very bizarre site.  There's no pricing shown on line.  They pump you for personal info to even request pricing.  What crap!
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1 gram = 15.432 & 1 grain = .06grains.   All my load data & my old scale .1 grains is the smallest increment .1 grains = .006 grams.  , having one that goes to .01 grains (.0006 grams) is plenty precise for my loads.  Maybe if I was a serious long range match shooter, I could see spending several hundred dollars on a scale that goes to .001 grams (.015 grains), but until then, the .01 grain increments is probably plenty precise for the average reloader, at least it is for me.
View Quote

1 gram = 15.432 grains

1 grain =  0.0649 grams

0.1 grain = 0.0065 grams

My scale reads down to 0.02 grains.  That's equal to 0.00130 grams (1.30 milligrams).

If it read to 0.01 grains, that would equal 0.00065 grams (0.65 milligrams).

IMO, the reason to spend the money on the A&D FX-120i is so you can hook it up to an AutoTrickler with AutoThrow.  I think the whole deal costs about $1k.

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Agree with Trollslayer.

The other thing to mention, is the A&D scale can sort cases, bullets, and primers.

That is a backhanded way of stating that the dynamic range is very good. It can take the high end of reloading related weight, and still go down into the milligram range to perfect powder charges and sort primers.

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

THAT is a very bizarre site.  There's no pricing shown on line.  They pump you for personal info to even request pricing.  What crap!
View Quote
just search on the item and bam!  Lots of retailers selling them, Northern Tool for one
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes that is the manufacture site. The site is lame. The products are available at other retailers. Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Throwing light and trickling up is where the A&D FX120i shines due to being a magnetic force restoration scale. I'm happy with mine.

I have a GemPro 250 and while its an accurate scale for reloading ammo when calibrated, trickling powder into it is an exercise in frustration. There are ways to work around it but it will try your patience.

If you decide on a FX120i do not pay Amazon prices for it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Throwing light and trickling up is where the A&D FX120i shines due to being a magnetic force restoration scale. I'm happy with mine.

I have a GemPro 250 and while its an accurate scale for reloading ammo when calibrated, trickling powder into it is an exercise in frustration. There are ways to work around it but it will try your patience.

View Quote

If you get an FX-120i, might as well get the ATV3. It’s hardly any more than the scale by itself. The combo is reasonably priced, relative to the scale by itself (at least the prices I’ve seen).
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
https://prometheustoolcorp.com/

If you want to win it costs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, jeez!

$5.1k + tax+ shipping, that's a $6k dispenser.  

They are so crazy expensive they have a LEASE program.  Imagine shelling out $4k and you still don't own the gear.

And for what?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do we look ?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've had my Dillon D-terminator scale for 18 years and it's done me right.
View Quote

Yes sir. I haven’t had mine that long but it’s the older model. I just got a Dillon Eliminator as a backup just in case. They both read the same.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where do we look ?
View Quote

Not sure if its cool to post a link but if you...

Search for Cambridge Environmental Products Inc

Click on reloading scales

Pick the A&D FX-120i

Then make sure to use the discount code on that page
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure if its cool to post a link but if you...

Search for Cambridge Environmental Products Inc

Click on reloading scales

Pick the A&D FX-120i

Then make sure to use the discount code on that page
View Quote

What discount code?  Why no link?  Why is pricing on scales such a secret?

Link he was afraid to post - A&D fx120i show as $845  

By the way, the Amazon price which JohnOD warned us not to pay, warned us away from, was only $750.  Something smells fishy in all this, JohnOD.  What gives?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

By the way, the Amazon price which JohnOD warned us not to pay, warned us away from, was only $750.  Something smells fishy in all this, JohnOD.  What gives?
View Quote

Wrong Place. They operate two sites...I think they are the same company but one is reloading specific and the other is laboratory specific, as far as I can tell.

Link

It's $465 here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Going to have to research this further. That seems like an excellent price for a scale with this accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You bailed me out... thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I meant -Obsessed- bailed me out

I'm a boomer and suck at the intrawebs so don't be too hard on me
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#31]
So I'm new to reloading. Would a digital scale be better, or a trusty beam scale?

I'm still gathering equipment, at this point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So I'm new to reloading. Would a digital scale be better, or a trusty beam scale?

View Quote

Beam on a budget.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a beam scale.

Digital scales have a few pitfalls that can throw off a new reloader.

Calibrations: check weight size, calibration frequency, and the accuracy at a different point of the weight range vs check weight can all impact accuracy.

Drift: this is the tendency of the zero point to shift away from 0.00, and it is common in pretty much all cheap scales. The FX-120i is not even immune but it drifts tiny amounts compared to others.

Drafts: electronic scales are twitchy. Even the slightest breeze can throw off an electronic scale. Beam scales are dampened by their own weight and the angular momentum that is required to move the beam. When I run my FX-120i I need to have the door closed, dehumidifier off, and register vent closed.

Warm up: cheaper electronic scales require warm up of up to 30 minutes to stabilize readings.

Other watch outs exist too: some electronic scales are prone to electrical interference from light ballasts and other circuitry. I never experienced this but I’ve heard it happen on several occasions.

Price: the FX-120i is not cheap. Other scales may work, but nearly all of them have some compromise in performance.

A beam scale never drifts, is very accurate, is not prone to drafts, etc. When you’re getting your feet wet, it’s best to avoid pitfalls as there is enough for you to worry about.

If you want to upgrade later, you will still want a beam scale to validate the accuracy of your digital scale from time to time.

I had a digital scale that was off by 10% even when calibrated. I used a beam scale and then an FX-120i to validate my hunch. This could have lead to a serious safety incident had I not had the experience to notice pressure signs and have the forethought to use a chronograph every time I test new loads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

It blow my mind that there are people still buying those, in a world with fully optioned out Autotricklers at 1/4 the price.

Ten years ago, the Prometheus was the only game in town. There just wasn't an alternative if you wanted to-the-kernel charges in under 15 seconds. I wasn't the only person in those days that balked at the cost and built my own with a lab scale and Arduino or Pi. These days, the easy button is an Autotrickler.

I just can't fathom who's buying Prometheus scales these days. It's an objectively inferior device compared to a lab scale + Autotrickler... which is just as fast, just as precise, and can also be used to weigh stuff (cases, bullets) on the scale.

Best I can figure there's a segment of the reloader market akin to the audiophiles who buy $85 optical audio cables.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It blow my mind that there are people still buying those, in a world with fully optioned out Autotricklers at 1/4 the price.

Ten years ago, the Prometheus was the only game in town. There just wasn't an alternative if you wanted to-the-kernel charges in under 15 seconds. I wasn't the only person in those days that balked at the cost and built my own with a lab scale and Arduino or Pi. These days, the easy button is an Autotrickler.

I just can't fathom who's buying Prometheus scales these days. It's an objectively inferior device compared to a lab scale + Autotrickler... which is just as fast, just as precise, and can also be used to weigh stuff (cases, bullets) on the scale.

Best I can figure there's a segment of the reloader market akin to the audiophiles who buy $85 optical audio cables.
View Quote
I always pointed and laughed at those guys.  Same idea with "can drive a Ford, but choose to drive a Mercedes with a solid gold shitter".  

Anything that is helping the industry is a good thing.  Those people laugh at my crack scale.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Prometheus had its day but that day was more like twenty years ago, not just ten.  

The scale inside the box is gorgeous!  They should have a transparent box.  You are paying for that scale.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  A beam scale never drifts, is very accurate, is not prone to drafts, etc.
View Quote

A beam scale that is as precise as an equivalent electronic scale will be just as sensitive to drafts, electrostatic charging and can even drift.  My antique analytical balance is enclosed by a wood and glass housing to keep the wind and other environments away from the pans.  If you breathe on it, it will move, accordingly.

Consider this.  It does not matter whether the draft blows on the pan of an electronic scale or a mechanical scale.  If the aerodynamic force is 0.02 grains, they should both register that force.  

I felt I had to disagree with the above for technical reasons even though, overall, I whole-heartedly agree with your post, including the recommendation to buy a beam scale first.  A new reloader should not feel obligated to buy a $500 electronic scale, unless you are a "buy once/cry once", "money is no object" buyer.  Few are.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A beam scale that is as precise as an equivalent electronic scale will be just as sensitive to drafts, electrostatic charging and can even drift.  My antique analytical balance is enclosed by a wood and glass housing to keep the wind and other environments away from the pans.  If you breathe on it, it will move, accordingly.

Consider this.  It does not matter whether the draft blows on the pan of an electronic scale or a mechanical scale.  If the aerodynamic force is 0.02 grains, they should both register that force.  

I felt I had to disagree with the above for technical reasons even though, overall, I whole-heartedly agree with your post, including the recommendation to buy a beam scale first.  A new reloader should not feel obligated to buy a $500 electronic scale, unless you are a "buy once/cry once", "money is no object" buyer.  Few are.
View Quote

Explain how a mass balance drifts.

It doesn’t. The zero can change due to the surface in which it sits tilting. But a zeroed beam scale will never drift. Physics won’t allow it. The beam, weights, and pan cannot naturally gain or lose mass. This is inherently quality of all balances, as a balance measures mass, not weight.

To understand why a beam scale doesn’t have issues with drafts, you would have to see them side by side to appreciate it. A beam scale has resolution of about 0.05 grains, and the needle must move 1mm or more to register that. The issue is drafts in a room last split seconds. A beam scale is too big and has too much mass and requires too much angular momentum to notice - in the physics world this is known as the radius of gyration. Go put a charge in your beam scale, open a register vent 20 feet away and turn on your HVAC. I guarantee you the beam scale will not move from the minuscule turbulence the register vent causes.

A digital scale has an extremely lightweight surface that has very little mass, and virtually zero radius of gyration, which means it is much more sensitive to micro drafts that last split seconds.

Static also isn’t a concern with most beam scales as the pan, beam, and weights are all metal and have continuity. If the measuring pan is charged so are the counterweights, negating this phenomenon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing is perfect.

If it gets moved during handling, the zero will drift.  The more sensitive it is, the more sensitive it is to being moved.  Lean on the table, bump the pan,...

Electrostatic effects occur when there is a differential potential between your body and the scale.  It can also happen between parts in the scale but it is usually your hand being closer or farther from the scale that is the problem.  Differential charging can occur while you sit there, so it can change over time and I don't know anyone who wears a wrist strap when reloading.

Ohio is relatively humid and ES may be of less concern.  By me, humidity is almost always low and static is an ever present problem.  

Regarding the effect of wind/drafts, have you really never seen a draft cause a problem?  You must exclusively reload indoors, have a less sensitive scale or have a lot of friction/damping.  Other than that, it should register the aerodynamic pressure/force.  I reload in my garage.  A draft which you cannot feel on your face can swing a sensitive beam scale.  

Different people have different experiences, in part due to their environments.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#41]
My RCBS 5-10 scale “drifts” if I don’t clean out the pivot and dust the beam pretty regularly (and VERY thoroughly).  And I regularly check that the shelf my beam scale is on is level.  That shelf can shift just a bit because of I don’t know what, but I use a level on the shelf before I adjust the zero of the scale.

I have a calibration weight set that I use for both my digital and beam scale, as well.  Part of the manufacturing process for a reloading scale is to add tiny weights to the powder pan holder; in my RCBS scale they’re various sizes of round balls.  They rub on each other and can over time wear down.  So physically calibrating the scale requires making sure that you can zero it, and if not, you start looking at those little lead (I think) weights in the pan holder...
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll be your huckleberry, just ordered one.

We will see. This will be my 5th digital scale, all the previous ones drifted so they drifted away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scale

Read the reviews, apparently many reloaders are using this tiny crack scale.  

I bought one and have used it a lot.  I set tare with the tin from my beam scale.  It returns perfectly to zero each time I put the tin back on.  Check weight is dead on.  Doublecheck with the beam scale is dead on.  

I had to weigh a fairly large lot of loaded ammo to check consistency.  Priceless.  It paid for itself already. Even if you end up with a more expensive scale, this one certainly has its place.
I'll be your huckleberry, just ordered one.

We will see. This will be my 5th digital scale, all the previous ones drifted so they drifted away.

I bought one too, and checked it against my labs calibrated and warmed up Mettler analytical balance yesterday.

The 50 mg check weight weighs 50.002 g.  Pretty good.  With zero warmup, it reads 49.966g on this balance.  Acceptable for a $17 balance.

A weight that measured 4.248 g indicates 4.244 g on this balance.

After a 5 minute warmup, a 1.760 g weight indicated 1.759 g.  Nice.  A 2.448 g cent indicated 2.448 g on this balance.

A 10 mg check weight did not show any weight on this little balance, but I am not looking to weigh 0.2 grain powder charges here.  Some morning I'll find its lower limits.

I wanted it to measure 25 grain (AR loads) to 84 grain (300 Win) loads, where this balance and its middle sized weigh boat really shines.

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll look for a beam scale.
Quoted:

Get a beam scale.

Digital scales have a few pitfalls that can throw off a new reloader.

Calibrations: check weight size, calibration frequency, and the accuracy at a different point of the weight range vs check weight can all impact accuracy.

Drift: this is the tendency of the zero point to shift away from 0.00, and it is common in pretty much all cheap scales. The FX-120i is not even immune but it drifts tiny amounts compared to others.

Drafts: electronic scales are twitchy. Even the slightest breeze can throw off an electronic scale. Beam scales are dampened by their own weight and the angular momentum that is required to move the beam. When I run my FX-120i I need to have the door closed, dehumidifier off, and register vent closed.

Warm up: cheaper electronic scales require warm up of up to 30 minutes to stabilize readings.

Other watch outs exist too: some electronic scales are prone to electrical interference from light ballasts and other circuitry. I never experienced this but I’ve heard it happen on several occasions.

Price: the FX-120i is not cheap. Other scales may work, but nearly all of them have some compromise in performance.

A beam scale never drifts, is very accurate, is not prone to drafts, etc. When you’re getting your feet wet, it’s best to avoid pitfalls as there is enough for you to worry about.

If you want to upgrade later, you will still want a beam scale to validate the accuracy of your digital scale from time to time.

I had a digital scale that was off by 10% even when calibrated. I used a beam scale and then an FX-120i to validate my hunch. This could have lead to a serious safety incident had I not had the experience to notice pressure signs and have the forethought to use a chronograph every time I test new loads.
View Quote

Good points to ponder.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It doesn’t. The zero can change due to the surface in which it sits tilting. But a zeroed beam scale will never drift. Physics won’t allow it. The beam, weights, and pan cannot naturally gain or lose mass. This is inherently quality of all balances, as a balance measures mass, not weight.

To understand why a beam scale doesn’t have issues with drafts, you would have to see them side by side to appreciate it. A beam scale has resolution of about 0.05 grains, and the needle must move 1mm or more to register that. The issue is drafts in a room last split seconds. A beam scale is too big and has too much mass and requires too much angular momentum to notice - in the physics world this is known as the radius of gyration. Go put a charge in your beam scale, open a register vent 20 feet away and turn on your HVAC. I guarantee you the beam scale will not move from the minuscule turbulence the register vent causes.

A digital scale has an extremely lightweight surface that has very little mass, and virtually zero radius of gyration, which means it is much more sensitive to micro drafts that last split seconds.

Static also isn’t a concern with most beam scales as the pan, beam, and weights are all metal and have continuity. If the measuring pan is charged so are the counterweights, negating this phenomenon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A beam scale will drift.  Don't ask me how but I have a Dillon and an RCBS beam scale as well as several digital scales.

One day I lined all of them up, then calibrated and zeroed after a warm up.  I took measurements with different components with known weights every 15 minutes for an hour.  All of them drifted by at least .1 grains except for one of the digital scales, a JScale that I bought from Brian Enos years ago.  I know it will drift as well as I have seen it but that day it didn't.

The key is to know the error.  If you are okay with .2 grains of variance then it won't matter with most scales.  If you need to be within .05 then buy the best scale you can afford and try your best to keep air movement, temperature, and vibrations as stable as possible.

I always let a digital scale "warm up" for 5 minutes after turning it on before using.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I kind of view it as there's a <$100 class which includes the amazon stuff and the reloading specific digital and beam scales.

Next step up is a Chargemaster / Other brand dispenser for $300 or so

Once that fails in 1-3 years you break down and buy the FX-120I kit with the autothrow which is faster and as accurate as any reloading needs to be.

The RCBS matchmaster looks like a fail. Too expensive, slower, and less accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top