Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2018 9:23:30 PM EDT
Getting the reloader going again after a 4yr hiatus and was wondering if this crimp depth looks good? It was too deep and I adjusted it but now I'm wondering if it's too shallow now.
Attachment Attached File

ETA. The hole in the center appears to look bigger in the photo than it really is. It's small enough that #8 shot will not come through.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks decent, if it chambers and does not deform I would say you are ok.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
From the picture, it looks fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
id say it looks fine maybe just a touch more precrimp looks like a small hole in the center.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. The few I've tried all chambered fine. I'm going to adjust the pre crimp a bit more to see if I can get the hole sealed up, it's better than it was but still not perfect.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Basic break down,

The Win HS hulls in 12 are shorter than the older CF hulls, so keep that in mind from the start. So if you have the machine set up for STS hulls, you will need to readjust the machine for the shorter HS hulls if that is what your going to reload.

So basic break down, when inserting the wad, adjust the wad ram so it will not compress the wad during insertion, Hence we only want the wad to be pushed into the hull to kiss the top of power, but not compress the wad at this time,

Now lets touch on fill of the hull, and that is the power amount, the wad you are using, and the amount of shot, should have the top of shot line to the bottom of the fold line inside the hulls, and again, without the wad compressed.  Really, about 60% of the shot loading data has the hull fill amount wrong for the given hull and it takes some time to find the perfect combo of power type, wad type, and shot load for a given hulls to end up with the perfect amount of fill to end up with a ideal crimp.

Hence if we take 20g, and for 7/8oz loads, you can see the different type wads and the amount of room that they will take up in the hulls.
The same goes for 12 gauge and different wads as well.
https://i.imgur.com/v3CajWN.jpg

The shell on the right has the correct amount of fill, while the shell on the left has too much fill for the hull isntead.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8757/17234156082_ee994f4030_o.jpg

Now that we have the right loading amounts to get the shot to the top of inner fold line, lets talk about crimp.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199700/IMG_1456-673899.JPG

First off, we need to adjust the pre crimper.  In the above photo, it not only the center of hole in the center of the crimp that we are worried about, but the how much the pre crimper is crimping down the side of the hull.  So in your shell crimp above, we can see that the crimp line of the hull do not stop at the inside top of the crimp, but go over the top of crimp and down the outside of the hull.  So this tells me that you have your pre crimper set a touch too low, and it over crimping the hull to start with.

Next on crimp depth, use a dime for the depth of the crimp on the hull.  If can very a few a touch from hull type and load type, but a dimes thickness of crimp should be close to your standards depth of crimp for most hulls.

Now the last thing we need to cover, is tapering of the crimp.  Hence that is the ouside top of crimp that is rounded inwards so the shell feeds cleanly into the chamber.

So with the final taper crimper of the machine adjusted correctly, you end up with the top of outside edge of crimp rolled/tapered inward, instead of the top of crimp of your shell bulged outward isntead.
https://images.dealerease.net/additionalprodpics/fede2pich1216.jpg

So for the most part, pretty much every thing on your shell looks ok, minus that you have the pre-crimper set a touch too far down for the hulls in play, and don't have the final taper crimper set correctly, which is both leaving the out side crimp top buldge outward, and which is leaving the center hole in the crimp as well.

If you tell up what machine you are on, we can tell you how to adjust the final taper crimper correctly to prefect the reloads.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. The machine is a MEC 9000G

ETA. When I first got into reloading I had a guy help set the machine up for me and he set it up so I could load both the old style AA and the STS hulls, he said it wouldn't be perfect but it would be close enough to work. Back then I Rand every kind of hull through it that would work and didn't care what the shells looked like as long as they cycled in my gun, but now I'm wanting a more refined look.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Made some adjustments and got these shells. First one is almost perfect IMO, still has a little bit of the old crimp lines showing but not as much as before, the center hole is closed off and there is a slight taper. The other two have a small hole in the center for some reason but not enough for #8 to fit through.

I did notice that if I run my fingers down the hull there is a real faint bulge about a 1/4" above the head. The factory AAs I have one too but maybe not quite as much as mine. I dropped a few into my barrel and they go right in with no hint of binding though so I'm not too worried about that. I wonder if maybe I'm running too much wad pressure and just compressing stuff too much, Right now the machine is putting about 35lbs of wad pressure.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Your crimps are fine. I can't believe some of you are reloading cheap throw away ribbed wally world type shells.  My Mec press hates them.  If I get a fucked up crimp that leaves a bit of a hole in the middle that allows shot to fall out, I put a drop of hot glue on it and relegate that shell to a plinking throw away load. These would be for single load, directly into the chamber.  I have a few sitting beside my press right now, and most are ribbed hulls that won't hold crimp, or that the sidewall rolled down because it is so thin and cheap.

I try to cull all ribbed shells, but sometimes I miss one.

I am currently using Claybusters WTW-12 wads.  1 oz of #8.  21 grains of WST.  AA, STS, and Nitro Gold Rem hulls are all I have in my bin.

(this guy used to reload paper shells)
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're Golden,
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199700/IMG_1461-675020.JPG

But if you switch from HS to CF, STS, or gun club hulls, they are longer than the HS hulls and you will need to readjust the machine.

Or if your just loading what you can get your hands on, should be able to come up with a setting that will crimp the shorter HS hulls correctly, but end up with a slight swirl in the longer hulls crimps.
View Quote
I have all the popular hulls but most are the AA HS. I've plan on using the old style AA and Remington gun club as throwaway hulls since my Beretta throws hulls into the next county
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think you want 35lbs of wad pressure.  Set your wad ram so it just barely bumps the wad force indicator.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Got everything dialed in about perfect now. Adjusted the was ran so it just barely moves the indicator and everything is looking good.

I started loading some Remington Gun Club hulls to use as throw aways at stations where I know I won't find the empties and had to lower the was ram because it wouldn't register any movement but I left the rest of the settings the same as with the AA HS hulls. I'm getting a slight swirl in the crimp but not bad enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
That looks like a good crimp to me.  Better luck than I had, I did use a cheap MEC though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That looks like a good crimp to me.  Better luck than I had, I did use a cheap MEC though.
View Quote
These are from a MEC 9000G. I bought the loader in 1998 and it's been a really good loader for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top