Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 7/6/2018 8:25:47 PM EDT
I see the old archived threads about the MAWL from last year, but I am curious now that a bunch of people have them - what's the verdict?

Specifically interested in the illuminator for use between 300 and 1,000 yards with a PVS-30. Does it get the job done? At what point/distance does the usefulness start to fade?

Thanks for any insight!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:11:55 PM EDT
Bump for weekday crew?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2018 4:28:56 PM EDT by fivefivesixphoto]
Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics did one. I got to play with a Civi one and I have to say that it is hands down the best civilian system available on the market when you consider effectiveness, design and ergonomics. Other civi systems don't hold a candle to it. The D2 is the only thing that comps close but the ergonomics just aren't as great. But it can also be had for around $1300 and its amazing. $2500 is still a tough pill to swallow for the MAWL.

MAWL Review: Sage Dynamics
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:54:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:45:07 PM EDT
With a clip-on, shooting long range, especially when you're not shooting far above the ground you really want a focusable laser illuminator like a Luna.

At that range you want to be able to aim your illuminator or you get so much spill in the foreground that you can't see your target. I haven't personally used a mawl but I have a dbal-d2 and a few focusable led illuminators with adjustable mounts and even though I could aim and focus the beam they still have enough spill to create issues.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:31:18 PM EDT
How does the MAWL do for prone shooting with a clip-on? Any issue with ground splash?
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:26:47 AM EDT
I don't have a clip on, but i've shot prone with my MAWL a number of times with weapon mounted NV, and don't notice any splash when used on the long range setting. While the MAWL doesn't have a manual focus, the different modes are geared for different engagement ranges, so you can set it on low with a lot of room wide splash for indoors work, medium for a bit more outward push with decent close in illumination, or long for basically no close in illumination and a nice tight beam.
Top Top