Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2021 3:30:01 PM EDT
I just picked up some Ruger 8303s for my kids.  My intention was to make these their first guns.  They have iron sights and a bolt, so will be a good platform for teaching the basis (and not burning through all my ammo so fast).  

These guns didn't come threaded.  I was going to have them cut to 16" and threaded for my rimfire cans, but then I started wondering "Why not just get them cut down short at the same time?"

Would appreciate any thoughts.  The whole NFA collection is going to them eventually anyway.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s extra money you could be spending on ammo to make them better shooters so they’re not burning thru your stash.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s extra money you could be spending on ammo to make them better shooters so they’re not burning thru your stash.
View Quote

Oh that was a joke.  I don't care about money.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You should.

The kids will learn that short barrels are normal and unremarkable and will fight to see them normalized.
View Quote

Kinda what I was thinking.  Are there legal concerns?  I remember being out with my buddies and our .22s when we were 14 or so.  Can a kid do that with an SBR and a silencer?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm more worried about making sure it's suppressed.

I'm thinking something like this will be their first firearm.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm more worried about making sure it's suppressed.

I'm thinking something like this will be their first firearm.
View Quote

Those are super cool.  I already have enough cans to throw some extras on these rifles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are there legal concerns?  I remember being out with my buddies and our .22s when we were 14 or so.  Can a kid do that with an SBR and a silencer?
View Quote
You'll have to check your state & local laws, as possession concerns vary by state.

In my state, children below age 10 have no criminal responsibility (and therefore cannot be charged with any crime).

From ages 10 through 17 there are restrictions on possessing handguns...

Under age 18, they may only possess a handgun with a parent/guardian present (and permission from the owner of the property), or without them present if they have their written permission, or are performing an excepted activity (target shooting on an established range, hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license, taking a firearms safety class, or transiting to/from any of those 3 things).

Otherwise they need the written authorization to avoid violating the law when off alone with a handgun (which, by state definition, has a barrel 12" or shorter) so that would potentially include SBRs.

NFA (Title II) firearms of course have their own federal possession concerns, but the children could be authorized possessors in a trust or LLC etc.

I recommend a thorough review of laws in your area since they may need additional written authorization.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.
Registration leads to……

Edit

Maybe the first guns could be .22 caliber AR’s built on 80% lowers.   Keep them OUT of the system.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes.
Registration leads to
View Quote
It's worked the same way since 1934.

They will certainly confiscate any unregistered ones they become aware of.

(That's what you should assume, anyway). I've been in a position to confiscate on behalf of the state, but exercised officer discretion instead. Sometimes it's great not being a federal employee.

I recommend educating the youth regarding the freedoms US citizens have previously enjoyed in the past, but were taken away wrongfully. Few know.

I'm exempt from most provisions of the 1968 Gun Control Act when purchasing for official use, but good luck finding an FFL to acknowledge that, or anyone who even knows what firearms transfers were like before 1968. I wasn't alive then, but things used to be better for everyone. More people should be taught about the erosion of our 2A rights.

SBRs and silencers are more "normal" now than they've ever been. That's a good thing!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have yet to buy a gun for my kids, but the first ones they shot were all NFA.
I think subsonic .22 through a supressed bolt gun is a good way to start kids without excess noise or recoil turning them off.
In your case with those rifles I would have them threaded, but not SBR'd. If the kids ever leave home to another state moving SBRs is more of a pain than moving silencers or normal riles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
kinda makes sense, but with something like the cricket bolt gun being 26" overall, I think I'll go that way. Then grow into what they want and like based on how it plays out.

guns FOR my kids, I'm working hard to make sure they are FtF purchases....
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Wait you guys actually get SBR tax stamps?!? Hahahahahhahahahahhaha

Just let ‘em shoot whatever they want
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I would ensure they have stuff that isn't on the NFA registry - or, where possible, isn't even on a 4473 - before worrying about stamps if you already have NFA stuff.

I mean, I hope that very high on your list of goals is making sure they're armed and that they stay armed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
When I think about SBRs for children, I think about little hands accidentally getting in front of muzzles.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#15]
As a non-SBR, the rifles may be able to be possessed by your children, without you being there, depending on the laws in that state.  In case they wish to go target shooting or hunting squirrles on their own.

If they are SBR's, then it's more complicated for them to use them on their own, if that's the plan for you.  You'll either need to be there at all times, or see if having them on the trust allows them to posses the NFA items by themselves.  I would tend to doubt that, as it's at least 18 if not 21 to posses NFA items as an individual, so I would not think they could via a Trust.  

Personally, for something non-tactical like a bolt action 22, I'd just leave it in 16" or longer configuration.  It's not heavy like that anyway, and as others have said, there is a safety advantage early on with a longer rifle, as the danger is at the end of it all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would tend to doubt that, as it's at least 18 if not 21 to posses NFA items as an individual, so I would not think they could via a Trust.
View Quote
Per federal law, it's age 18 (minimum) to receive transfer of an NFA firearm or make one on Form 1 (and age 21 to receive from a FFL/SOT) but I've never seen a federal age limit on possession. This would be a state/local issue (if there is a prohibition).
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
If they are on the trust as a Responsible Party, and so be able to posses the NFA item without the Trust owner, I'd think they would have to be at least 18 as well, plus have to be fingerprinted, photo'd, and background checked, as per the 41F update.

Could a person SBR the rifles, then add them onto the Trust later - yeah, but that's a workaround with potential issues.

Seems a lot of checking and work, for a .22 bolt action, while in 16" or more config, they can use it themselves depending on age and state laws.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they are on the trust as a Responsible Party, and so be able to posses the NFA item without the Trust owner, I'd think they would have to be at least 18 as well, plus have to be fingerprinted, photo'd, and background checked, as per the 41F update.
View Quote
Unless ATF has changed their opinion on this, one needn't be a Responsible Person to possess assets owned by the organization they're a part of. That's how it works for businesses (FFLs) anyway.

RPs are defined as having the power/authority to affect management decisions within the organization.

Edit: And if, for whatever reason, that is a problem, use the workaround people have been using such as a Single Shot (or per-firearm) trust, so you can submit the F4 with just one person on it, then add more people to the trust after transfer approval.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Haven’t read all responses, but definitely more trouble  than it’s worth over a couple inches of barrel length. You’d really have to engineer their legal possession of the NFA firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top