Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2018 9:40:01 PM EDT
I am interested in picking up an 11.5" MCX "pistol" in 5.56mm.....

I have two 10.5" AR "Pistols" and really like running them. Most of my training/instructing is CQB distances, and I have found the 10.5-11.5" barrels to be more than capable velocity wise at the distances I shoot...I also find 14.5-16" guns boring .

Having said that, is there any reason to not pick up the 11.5" MCX pistol? Thought about the MPX....But I don't know how much use id get out of a pistol caliber in a gun that size....WHo all is running an 11.5" MCX that also has or had an AR in comparible sizes, and what do you notice as different, better or worse?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have multiple guns, in multiple calibers, in the 9-12” Range

With the MCX, you’re getting a bufferless system, so a folding stock/brace makes it easy to transport.  A system built around being suppressed, but works excellent unsuppressed.   You get the ability to quickly change barrel lengths, calibers, handguard configurations, stock/brace configurations, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there differences between the ones I see for sale with Keymod rails and the new "Virtus" models which are only MLOK? Seems to be a bit of a price difference....I am looking at one of the non-virtus Keymod models for approx 1300 bucks new....
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big ".mil clone" gun guy, but even with the 14.5" and 10.3" guns I own, the SIG offerings intrigue me greatly...

The Virtus really has me trying to hide my credit card - would be such an awesome weapon to suppress (whether it's a shorty or full length size).
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there differences between the ones I see for sale with Keymod rails and the new "Virtus" models which are only MLOK? Seems to be a bit of a price difference....I am looking at one of the non-virtus Keymod models for approx 1300 bucks new....
View Quote
- Virtus has Heavier profile barrel
- Different bolts (Virtus has tapered lugs, legacy MCX has M16 lugs)
- Different length gas systems - changed in Virtus
- Legacy has Keymod rails, Virtus has MLOK
- Virtus Upper is heavier than Legacy
- No differences in lowers between Virtus and Legacy (other than colors)

This is some of the changes. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems like quite a bit was changed....Being new, and just starting to look into this weapons platform, If I were able to snag the Legacy (keymod) model for 1300 new, is it worth getting over the heftier price tag of the Virtus? I am more invested in Keymod accessories aswell..

Does/did the legacy have issues which prompted the above changes?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seems like quite a bit was changed....Being new, and just starting to look into this weapons platform, If I were able to snag the Legacy (keymod) model for 1300 new, is it worth getting over the heftier price tag of the Virtus? I am more invested in Keymod accessories aswell..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No "issues", just changes to enhance/improve the system.  I still have Legacy rifles that aren't going anywhere and I still love.  The Legacy/Keymod setups are lighter weight and you're right, there are some dealer out there on them now.

You can always buy a Virtus URG (Upper Receiver Group) later, if you decided you wanted those enhancements.  As I mentioned, the lowers are identical.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No "issues", just changes to enhance/improve the system.  I still have Legacy rifles that aren't going anywhere and I still love.  The Legacy/Keymod setups are lighter weight and you're right, there are some dealer out there on them now.

You can always buy a Virtus URG (Upper Receiver Group) later, if you decided you wanted those enhancements.  As I mentioned, the lowers are identical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m interested in getting a 11.5in pistol as well. Can’t decide on the MCX legacy or the new Virtus. With those “enhancements” were they needed? How’s the 11.5 pistol MCX legacy?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m a big KAC fan .... but my 11.5 5.56 virtus is pretty damn sweet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have several DI short AR's (ala Mk18 type). I also have a MCX with 11.5". For running without a can, the Mk18 types are fine. But by putting a can on them they are running on the ragged edge of their design parameters.
I don't really get into the whole "piston vs. DI" thing. However, as has been stated by those smarter than I, when you start talking a short gun with a can, those are harsh operating parameters for a DI gun.
The MCX with its dual recoil spring system and lack of a receiver extension has solved not only the shortcomings of a DI system, but also the shortcomings of more traditional AR piston-type systems in terms of carrier tilt, etc.
Basically: if ya want a short gun, and want to run it with a can, the MCX system appears to have significant advantages over traditional AR systems.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 11.5 Legacy MCX I picked up off gun broker new for $1250 and I love it. I couldn't justify the price difference between the legacy and the virtus. But I also built mine as a "clone" to what the London Counter Terrorism officers are using which is the 11.5 Legacy with an Aimpoint micro and a TRL-1 light and a few other things. I've had a few MK18 10.3 builds and I honestly feel the MCX out performs those in CQB and longer distances.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does the Rattler have the tapered lug bolt?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, same bolt as in the Virtus.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - Rattler = Virtus in terms of parts/generation
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes - Rattler = Virtus in terms of parts/generation
View Quote
To confirm, if I purchase a 11.5" Virtus in 5.56, I can in essence swap barrels and handguards and have a Rattler setup, correct?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To confirm, if I purchase a 11.5" Virtus in 5.56, I can in essence swap barrels and handguards and have a Rattler setup, correct?
View Quote
No. The rattler has an upper receiver that is shorter so rattler and Virtus handguards will not interchange.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No. The rattler has an upper receiver that is shorter so rattler and Virtus handguards will not interchange.
View Quote
cool, good to know thanks!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top