Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2018 6:06:47 AM EDT
I'm in the market for an A1 RR and have been doing research for a while, but being an AK74 guy I still have a long way to go I think

I'm 95% sure I'll go after a Colt A1 but I do see a lot of other M16 based rifles like J15A2 for example, or M16's converted / manufactured by companies other than Colt

This is where it's a little foggy for me and I'd appreciate any help on understanding the models (and risks) a bit better. I'm clear on the SP1 for example, but not many of the others. Not trying to save pennies here but I want to understand if I'm missing details that might matter

Appreciate any advice you guys might have

Z
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt is the gold standard for M16 lowers. You pay extra for the peace of mind that the lower is manufactured to mil-spec and to be able to say you own a MG made by the same company that produces them for militaries across the world.

With that said there are a handful of companies that produced lowers prior to 1986. Their quality varies from undesirable cast lowers to forged, from T6061 aluminum to the more sturdy T7075 that the Colt's are made from. Some are marked M16 with "Safe/Semi/Auto" from the factory while others are will Say AR15 with "Safe/Fire" and "auto" may or may not be hand stamped at a later date.

I personally went with a Oly Arms lower converted by Frankford Arsenal that was marked M16 with "Safe/Semi/Auto". I would have preferred a colt, but didn't feel it was worth paying $10k+ extra for the pony roll mark. The lower was out of spec, I had to have a gun smith mill down the upper deck and rear radius, they also removed forging marks that were never ground smooth, then had it re-anodized. So I paid $700 to save $10,000. It looks identical to any modern AR15 and only those who get close enough to notice the third pin realize its a MG.

If you have the funds or just really want the real deal get the Colt. But if youre buying it just because you enjoy shooting full auto getting a non-colt conversion is a great way to save money, the $10k+ you save can buy you another entry level MG such as a mac, sten, reising, ruger ac556, uzi, etc....
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Nvm
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
To me it is about what you are looking for.  I think the market value of an off brand would be around $18,000 for a RR.  A Colt M16 or M16A1 would be around $25,000 market value.  Of course deals can be had.  If you want a "sure thing" Colt transferable RR are the "gold standard" of M16 RRs.  Of course most RR could be "repaired" back to spec.  But like buying anything with a high market value, I would suggest being very well versed in all the finer points.  Especially telling the difference between a forged and cast receiver.  If you want to just buy a quality M16, a Colt RR avoids all that.

My first machinegun was a Colt roll marked "M16" RR.  It was a great gun.  If I had to go into harms way, that would be what I'd want.  But I'm a collector not a warrior.  I wanted more configurations than the Colt could give me.  I searched for a DIAS.  I bought a LL.  Right after the transfer I found a DIAS.  I sold both the Colt gun and the LL.  I still have the DIAS.  I have more in configurations than I do in the DIAS.  When I bought my Colt gun the market value was $10,000.  and off brand was around $8,000, a DIAS was $6,000 and a LL was $5,000.  Now the DIAS is $30,000, Colt gun is $25,000, the off brand is around $18,000 and the LL is around $15,000.  Who knew?

Scott
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You guys make some good points and thanks very much for the information. I think you helped me get dialed in to where I want to be

This purchase is for a shooter grade RR to have fun with so collector grade on this one is not important at the moment. I started with Colt to hedge my bet against buying something I am not well informed on, but thanks to you guys I think I can expand a bit and look at some other options in the shooter grade category

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have the funds or just really want the real deal get the Colt. But if youre buying it just because you enjoy shooting full auto getting a non-colt conversion is a great way to save money, the $10k+ you save can buy you another entry level MG such as a mac, sten, reising, ruger ac556, uzi, etc....
View Quote
I also love the idea of a Colt rollmark but since I'm a shooter it doesn't make sense to spend the extra $$$. As I said not against it but at the end of the day I want something I can put some miles on and not worry as much about

My gut tells me the DIAS is the way to go too but I suppose once I get my feet wet with the RR I can evaluate that down the road

Thanks guys!

Z
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You guys make some good points and thanks very much for the information. I think you helped me get dialed in to where I want to be

This purchase is for a shooter grade RR to have fun with so collector grade on this one is not important at the moment. I started with Colt to hedge my bet against buying something I am not well informed on, but thanks to you guys I think I can expand a bit and look at some other options in the shooter grade category

I also love the idea of a Colt rollmark but since I'm a shooter it doesn't make sense to spend the extra $$$. As I said not against it but at the end of the day I want something I can put some miles on and not worry as much about

My gut tells me the DIAS is the way to go too but I suppose once I get my feet wet with the RR I can evaluate that down the road

Thanks guys!

Z
View Quote
FWIW I have never had anyone ask if my RR was a Colt or seems disappointed after shooting once they found out it wasn't.  Most are too busy grinning ear to ear to care who manufactured it.

Of the people who shoot my MGs I've found it breaks down as follows.

90% have no clue you could even own a MG and are just excited to have had a chance to shoot one.

10% have watched youtube, maybe even seen one in the wild but don't know much about transferable MGs other than they are really expesnive. They cant tell the difference between a $20k non-colt and a really rare mint condition Colt with $40k+

Less than 1%  are NFA/MG owners. They are people like you, me and others on this forum and are the only ones who will notice if your M16 lower is a Colt or not.  But these people don't judge, they know how much sacrifice is required just to get started with a entry level MG like a Mac let alone a M16 or greater. They are just excited to bump into another NFA collector.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To me it is about what you are looking for.  I think the market value of an off brand would be around $18,000 for a RR.  A Colt M16 or M16A1 would be around $25,000 market value.  Of course deals can be had.  If you want a "sure thing" Colt transferable RR are the "gold standard" of M16 RRs.  Of course most RR could be "repaired" back to spec.  But like buying anything with a high market value, I would suggest being very well versed in all the finer points.  Especially telling the difference between a forged and cast receiver.  If you want to just buy a quality M16, a Colt RR avoids all that.

My first machinegun was a Colt roll marked "M16" RR.  It was a great gun.  If I had to go into harms way, that would be what I'd want.  But I'm a collector not a warrior.  I wanted more configurations than the Colt could give me.  I searched for a DIAS.  I bought a LL.  Right after the transfer I found a DIAS.  I sold both the Colt gun and the LL.  I still have the DIAS.  I have more in configurations than I do in the DIAS.  When I bought my Colt gun the market value was $10,000.  and off brand was around $8,000, a DIAS was $6,000 and a LL was $5,000.  Now the DIAS is $30,000, Colt gun is $25,000, the off brand is around $18,000 and the LL is around $15,000.  Who knew?

Scott
View Quote
How do you like the DIAS? Leaning towards a Colt RR myself, but I haven’t tried or seen a DIAS in person before. Easy to set up multiple hosts? What other configurations were you searching for that a RR couldn’t offer?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Less than 1%  are NFA/MG owners. They are people like you, me and others on this forum and are the only ones who will notice if your M16 lower is a Colt or not.  But these people don't judge, they know how much sacrifice is required just to get started with a entry level MG like a Mac let alone a M16 or greater. They are just excited to bump into another NFA collector.
View Quote
Understood, and thanks for the comments

I am working with Ruben now to get the F3 started and on it's way to my Texas FFL so they can start my transfer when I get back to the States in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
get a colt.....others report various problems....i have not heard of problems with a colt m16a1

i know of a local one(WI) for $25k if your looking
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to shoot it and your property is zoned for it just pick up an SOT. Way easier, faster, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are going to shoot it and your property is zoned for it just pick up an SOT. Way easier, faster, and cheaper.
View Quote
That is obviously the best idea but not practical in my situation
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
An under appreciated benefit of the RDIAS is that it's really the only way to obtain a 'new' MG. You can make your Noveske, Spikes, LWRC, LaRue, etc into a machine gun.

Let's face it. A guy shows off his awesome $3000 AR with super tactical furniture and gear and super cool LWRC branding. Everyone wants it to be a machine gun. But then he shoulders it and fires...it's just really a gimped AR. In everyone's head, people are thinking, 'oh, it's a semi auto'; but everyone just says, 'that's so cool', because they don't want to be rude.

The only way to fix this grievous situation is with a RDIAS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An under appreciated benefit of the RDIAS is that it's really the only way to obtain a 'new' MG. You can make your Noveske, Spikes, LWRC, LaRue, etc into a machine gun.

Let's face it. A guy shows off his awesome $3000 AR with super tactical furniture and gear and super cool LWRC branding. Everyone wants it to be a machine gun. But then he shoulders it and fires...it's just really a gimped AR. In everyone's head, people are thinking, 'oh, it's a semi auto'; but everyone just says, 'that's so cool', because they don't want to be rude.

The only way to fix this grievous situation is with a RDIAS.
View Quote
Or an RLL.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top