Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2020 11:19:49 PM EDT
7D5F2D07-D0F1-4C46-891A-C50ADD83CF01_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr

D9F40C86-BA44-40A2-B6FC-5A5BC51A10EA_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr

I owned one about a decade ago, and long since traded it off. I recently picked this one up off of the EE, NIB. I have a fascination with the Stoner 63, and this is about as close as I can get to it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. It was a grail gun for me. I picked mine up earlier this summer from another arfcommer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always had a desire to own one, but have read that they suffered from a lot poor welds and other manufacturing shortcomings. DO NOT know if that is true, just what I seem to recall hearing over the years. Anyone here with a round count north of say 3-4000 rounds fired through one. Would be interested to hear any input on these guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanted one for a long time.
Now that there is zero support from Robinson for them, I'll probably pass on getting one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Word has it that Robinson may bring it back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have always had a desire to own one, but have read that they suffered from a lot poor welds and other manufacturing shortcomings. DO NOT know if that is true, just what I seem to recall hearing over the years. Anyone here with a round count north of say 3-4000 rounds fired through one. Would be interested to hear any input on these guns.
View Quote
Mine is like a piece of artwork!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I had one at one time, it had been sent in to Robinson for the upgraded bcg, bolt catch added, updated trigger group, and threaded the integral bbl comp.

Should've held on to that one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
So is this one. It seems better than my early model.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like a late production model!  Nice find!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes it is. One of the last I think.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great score!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd buy one if they bring it back and there's product support.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Alright here’s a Robinson related dilemma for you. I moved to jersey last year. I just now got my FID which allows me to own semi auto firearms with pinned and welded muzzle brakes. I love my m96 but am scared to pin the barrel with there being no support. It’s current configuration satisfies the requirements except for the pinning.

Any suggestions or should I just go for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to see some mag changes from the prone in the BREN configuration.  I'm wanting to put my binary trigger in an upside down AR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@CFII , @QCMGR

Beautiful rifles

While accuracy doesn't "make" the rifle... how does it shoot ?

How is the recoil impulse compared to a typical AR ?

Is Precision reasonably combat oriented or better yet...satisfyingly good ?
View Quote
Accuracy is surprisingly good with .55 grain Ammo. On par with an AR. It is a heavy rifle an it soaks up recoil.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you know stuff.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m in!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying it’s Baroque?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the M96 itch years ago. Ended up with three; rifle, carbine and “Bren” rifle. They are neat guns and as noted as close to the Stoner that you can get.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it ain't baroque........
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd buy one if they bring it back and there's product support.
View Quote
You’re not alone
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not Baroque per se, but if you appreciate crisp stampings and clean welds, you would appreciate this!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like that underfolder....
View All Quotes
I made that because I could not find a decent commercial model!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Had both the carbine and rifle length.  Sold them along the way during one panic or another, mainly because the company had given up supporting them.  They were cool guns though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alright here’s a Robinson related dilemma for you. I moved to jersey last year. I just now got my FID which allows me to own semi auto firearms with pinned and welded muzzle brakes. I love my m96 but am scared to pin the barrel with there being no support. It’s current configuration satisfies the requirements except for the pinning.

View Quote
@DirtDivision

There is a company that makes muzzle devices with the same outside diameter as the barrel. This would allow you to P/W a muzzle device/flash hider on your gun for the duration of your penal colony sentence in Jersey, AND allow for the removal of the gas block should that ever become necessary to affect any repairs/alterations as may be needed. I will try and find the name of the company and pass the info on to you.

ETA: If Robinson brings back that gun in the fixed stock variant, I will buy IMMEDIATELY!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the carbine and Bren conversion for mine. It's a nice rifle. Never had any issues with it. Shoots smooth. Bought it ~15 years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  I have the carbine and Bren conversion for mine. It's a nice rifle. Never had any issues with it. Shoots smooth. Bought it ~15 years ago.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249712/Robinson_Armament_M96_BREN___Carbine__223___2__jpg-1232677.JPG
View Quote
Do you have any video of mag changes on the top loader?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you have any video of mag changes on the top loader?
View Quote
Like when actually shooting it? No I do not. I could take stills if you'd like? Otherwise when the weather turns a little warmer.

@backbencher
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I heart mine.  It was one of the first military "not an AR" rifles I bought, I think back in 2000.

Attachment Attached File

I picked up a carbine barrel for it somewhere, as I recall it wasn't that expensive at the time.   I'd shoot it a lot more than I do but I'd rather not risk breakage.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I made that because I could not find a decent commercial model!
View All Quotes
I wasnt aware of these rifles and your underfolder is awesome looking!
The fact that you made the underfolder is even better!
Any chance that you did a build thread or was it just as simple as adding an adapter of some sort?

How do these compare to Daewood DR200's?
Or is this a completely different operating system?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I had one and sold it at some point because I wanted something else.  I don't even remember what it was I wanted.  I regret selling that M96 to this day.  One of my poor firearms decisions was selling it.

I happened to be at Robinson Arms last week to get some work done on my XCR-L and mentioned that when Alex came out to the front office.

Apparently, the manufacturing process for them is quite expensive, but I think he's considering bringing them back.  Who knows?  SHOT is next week.

They did say they were going to start stocking replacement parts for them - that's definitely in the plans.

And it might be fun to watch this space:

https://robinsonarmament.com/m96/
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:. Like when actually shooting it? No I do not. I could take stills if you'd like? Otherwise when the weather turns a little warmer.

@backbencher
View Quote
When it turns warmer.  No offense, I'm sure you're handsome and all, but I'm interested in the speed and economy of movement or lack thereof in a top mag change.  So, we need video.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When it turns warmer.  No offense, I'm sure you're handsome and all, but I'm interested in the speed and economy of movement or lack thereof in a top mag change.  So, we need video.
View Quote
Lol.

I can tell you one doesn't need to move the M96 from the target or ones shoulder to change mags. The sights are offset on the left side and looks just past the magwell. The charging handle is also on the left in the Bren configuration. And if you're right handed, it makes it easier to reload using your left hand. Keeping your right on the pistol grip.

Although like the actual BREN. I imagine that its real design was to have an assistant gunner. One that would do the reloading for you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#36]
My interest stems from the fact it takes very little effort to flip the AR over these days.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I've got a Recon that I rarely shoot due to the lack of parts.  It does shoot nice, but I much prefer my XCRs.   If Alex starts making them again or parts become available then I'll probably sell it.  New ones would probably be $5000 or so, it's an extremely expensive gun to make due to all the welding.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've got a Recon that I rarely shoot due to the lack of parts.  It does shoot nice, but I much prefer my XCRs.   If Alex starts making them again or parts become available then I'll probably sell it.  New ones would probably be $5000 or so, it's an extremely expensive gun to make due to all the welding.
View Quote

That’s nonsense!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I remember thinking they were really cool "back in the day" but they were already on the way out.  I loved the idea of carbine, rifle, and Bren configs.  I'd be interested if they came back, but if it ends up some $2500+ curiosity I'd be out.  XCR isn't exactly inexpensive as it is, so an even lower volume rifle would probably be painful.

The Stoner 63 is a pretty cool artifact of history as well.  Only one part compatible between the two from what I understand though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember thinking they were really cool "back in the day" but they were already on the way out.  I loved the idea of carbine, rifle, and Bren configs.  I'd be interested if they came back, but if it ends up some $2500+ curiosity I'd be out.  XCR isn't exactly inexpensive as it is, so an even lower volume rifle would probably be painful.

The Stoner 63 is a pretty cool artifact of history as well.  Only one part compatible between the two from what I understand though.
View Quote
I think the stock and maybe the rear sight?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Robinson has said they "might bring it back" for YEARS.

They are not going to bring it back. Hell, they wont even provide support/spare parts for it.

GREAT rifle. Has some issues, but it has potential.

I would buy a new one, I love the one I have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I wanted something completely different than any other rifle I had. I bought mine with the intention of getting the belt fed conversion when it was ready but unfortunately it never happened. I used some demil M60 bipod parts and assembled a complete bipod to put on it with an M60 flash suppressor and made a carry handle using one from an FAL. The sling mounting position when carrying isn't really practical because it is so nose heavy, but when shooting off the bipod, the rifle is rock steady. I also made an adapter to tripod mount it with a USGI M2 tripod or MAG 58 tripod.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uh...leave it as is and screw NJ statist and unconstitutional laws...
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wanted something completely different than any other rifle I had. I bought mine with the intention of getting the belt fed conversion when it was ready but unfortunately it never happened. I used some demil M60 bipod parts and assembled a complete bipod to put on it with an M60 flash suppressor and made a carry handle using one from an FAL. The sling mounting position when carrying isn't really practical because it is so nose heavy, but when shooting off the bipod, the rifle is rock steady. I also made an adapter to tripod mount it with a USGI M2 tripod or MAG 58 tripod.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/1_jpg-1234022.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/3_jpg-1234023.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/5_jpg-1234024.JPG
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/1_jpg-1234022.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/3_jpg-1234023.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/5_jpg-1234024.JPG
View Quote
That's really nice! Way cool.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought one when they first came out.  I had the gas block crack on me.  That would have turned it into a paperweight today.  I was able to get it fixed via Robinson then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Im hoping for an exact clone to a stoner 63

But really id be happy with only spare parts.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Im hoping for an exact clone to a stoner 63

But really id be happy with only spare parts.
View Quote
There’s a thread about stoner 63’s. I can tell you this for sure Mark Serbu is really doing some fantasatic things with the platform and recreating it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#50]
If anyone ever offers a commercial belt-fed Stoner 63A type (M96 or whatever) I'd be very interested, but the mag-fed M96 just isn't close enough to the original Stoner 63 to get me excited.

Now that they're long discontinued, even less so.

At this point I might as well pursue KAC's LAMG.

I did get to fire an original Stoner 63A (actually I completed my boss's unfinished Cadillac Gage stamping/kit) and it was very nice.

Your M96 off the EE is cool too, OP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top