Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 9:42:49 PM EDT
I'm considering a youth stock for my Mossberg 500, but I'm concerned that it could be too short

Any of you guys use them? I really prefer short a short LoP, my AR stocks typically stay in the second or third position.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Cuts 2" off the OAL, sets LOP back to normal when used while wearing a PC. Also helps the balance with the long-tube 590s, sets the COG back 2". Makes aiming at a point target or holding it up for strings of fire easier.

Without a PC, yes, it's not the most pleasurable thing to shoot. The short LOP does not help a full size man shoulder the gun well, and the now further back balance point does not help with recoil.

Always a compromise.

I got used to it and don't mind it any more. Helps that for the salad days I was able to feed mine a steady diet of 3" slugs on the cheap for steel banging and verifying sights before deer season.

The fit has much to do with that recoil, as I've fired the same ammo from traditional sporters the same day, and they kick the same. Despite being pounds lighter and much less front heavy. Muzzle rise on the sporters was naturally much greater.

ETA: I'm 5-10. The youth stock is still too short for my brother at 5-8. The wife's scatterpew is a youth model, and fits her well at 5-2. Her youth-20ga, being so small, light and soft kicking, relative to me, makes it still pleasant to shoot. I would not enjoy it as a 12ga.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, hard to tell in that photo but that's a Hogue 12" Length of Pull (LOP) stock on there with a Limbsaver that adds 1".

I had to add the 1" since I was hitting my nose on the 12" LOP.

I'm 5' 10" and I find this the perfect middle ground.  No body armour.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
A few years ago, Remington was offering a $40 rebate on certain products. Gander had youth model 870 Express 20 gauge shotguns on the rack. So being the world’s greatest grandpa, the wife and I took our 3 year old grandson up to buy him one. After checking them out, we decided to buy him and the wife both one. Once we got home, I instantly regretted not getting me one. I mean it shouldered way better than my 12 gauge 870 normal stock. So I headed back to GM the next morning and picked up another one! The youth stocks fit all three of us. I’m 5’10, the wife is 5’1, and the grandson is now 4’9. I’ve since sold all my 12 gauge shotguns and probably won’t buy another one unless I can find a trench gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I’ll be on the lookout for one, thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I did until Magpul came out with a Mossberg stock.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the best shot gunner I know advocated the use of Youth or fitted stocks for tactical ( police) shotguns and we was over 6 feet tall.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I often use my two 870 Youth models (13” LOP) and prefer that length over full size shotguns, I keep thinking of chopping an inch off my Benelli to get the same length. 12” LOP feels too short and 14” LOP seems too long.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I admit my preferred squirrel guns are my kids youth 20 ga.  Light, compact, and deliver all you need for the job.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I do. Steve Fisher made fun of me
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I admit my preferred squirrel guns are my kids youth 20 ga.  Light, compact, and deliver all you need for the job.
View Quote

I enjoy taking her 20ga out when I need to use a shotgun and I'm by myself.

My sporter has a 26" barrel and it's quite unwieldy in the brush for <35yd shots. Out in the field, of course I shoot birds much better with the man size gun.

I'd probably batter my nose on the 590, but it has tall ghost ring sights and a RMR on a QD mount on the pic rail. So my head is up quite high. Suppose that also helps maintain peripheral vision.

Since the 20 doesn't kick for my body size, using the bead doesn't bother me. With either short stock, I have to keep my thumb straight or it'll meet nose.

Tactical, go short. Sporter, get what fits.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I still have the youth stock on my Winchester 1200 20 gu I got when I was a kid (I'm in my 40s now) and I think it's still an awesome, quick little shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Charles Daly 20 gauge auto just before the went under for 150.00. I bought it for my two sons who where 7 and 8 at the time. I called their customer service and they sent me a youth stock one  free. Said it was the last one. They had said anything about going under yet.

Well we used Winchester featherlight which did not cycle the action. Which was good as the gun weighs just under 6 lbs. I was worried about recoil with heavier loads. The half ejection really made it into a powder puff.

The stock has a lentgh of pull of 12.5 inches. Left it on and shoot 3 inch mags with no problem. I shortened my shotgun stocks and shoot with the stock more in board on my pec rather than shoulder pocket. The gun is way faster to mount and I went from a pathetic medicore shooter to a realy great medicore shooter. Then I have days the I really look like I know what Im doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top