Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 5:44:18 PM EDT
Any issue if I cerakote a geissele rail barrel nut?  I only really want to cover up the two tiny areas that show through the MLok window of my 9.5 mk14 rail, but figure it is probably best just to cerakote the entire thing.

Has anyone done this before?  I know that it is a pretty tight fit already but cerakote should be a very thin layer so I don’t know if there will be a clearance issue.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any issue if I cerakote a geissele rail barrel nut?  I only really want to cover up the two tiny areas that show through the MLok window of my 9.5 mk14 rail, but figure it is probably best just to cerakote the entire thing.

Has anyone done this before?  I know that it is a pretty tight fit already but cerakote should be a very thin layer so I don’t know if there will be a clearance issue.
View Quote
It’s enough of a layer to mess with tolerances.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Your rail will not fit with it coated.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't coat it. The tolerances are super close already.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ceracoat is thin, what I would do is spray paint it and test fit, then clean it off with paint thinner.

me personaly, I wouldn't cerakote it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You think they say "Super Precision" for the fuck of it? Tolerances are super precise.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I couldn't coat it. The tolerances are super close already.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend coating one of our barrel nuts as the tolerances are indeed pretty tight and it may create a fitment issue.

-GACS
View Quote
What does this guy know?! Fake news. Do it anyway
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do it after it’s installed. It won’t fit if you do it first
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
That is too bad.  I am not appreciating the shiny copper colored portion of the barrel nut which is exposed through the MLok slot on both sides.

Puts a little bit of a damper on an otherwise nice rail.  Needs to be longer too.  11.5 SBR is best SBR.

(and yes, I will be cerakoting the gas block)

Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is too bad.  I am not appreciating the shiny copper colored portion of the barrel nut which is exposed through the MLok slot on both sides.

Puts a little bit of a damper on an otherwise nice rail.  Needs to be longer too.  11.5 SBR is best SBR.

http://gdurl.com/gHKA
View Quote
As GACS and other members already said, Don't do it. My recommendation is to get the color paint you want to match and paint the area with a small brush exposed on the barrel nut AFTER you install the rail.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As GACS and other members already said, Don't do it. My recommendation is to get the color paint you want to match and paint the area with a small brush exposed on the barrel nut AFTER you install the rail.
View Quote
This.  Or tape / mask off and spray it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd just leave it alone. I've never been bothered by the slight protrusion of them. It's not really meant to be a fashion accessory.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not wall art.  When you're behind it blasting away you won't be able to see the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what the military contracts that get G rails on their weapons do?  I don't recall ever seeing a shiny part to my service rifles.  Maybe the Mk16 9.5" version won't have the MLok window in the barrel nut location.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder what the military contracts that get G rails on their weapons do?  I don't recall ever seeing a shiny part to my service rifles.  Maybe the Mk16 9.5" version won't have the MLok window in the barrel nut location.
View Quote
Oh for fucks sake, paint the exposed part.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s exactly what I intend to do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
After your first wall slide, the scratches on your optic will bother you worse.....I heard.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
The full length rail ladder tells me all I need to know about OP.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you plan on doing the gas block too because it sticks out WAY more than that tiny bit of barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
That he prefers Mlok over rails for mounting his fashion accessories?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Just put a pop-on rail cover in the slot.

jeez.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#23]
WHEN IN DOUBT, WHIP IT OUT

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just put a pop-on rail cover in the slot.

jeez.
View Quote
Doesn’t fit because the barrel nut is in the MLok window and interferes with the MLok cover’s “teeth”.  I could probably jerry rig something by cutting off the part that sticks into the MLok channel and rely on the rest of the cover having its “teeth” in the MLok slots.  Come to think of it I might try that.

Thanks Zeds and everyone else in the first half of the thread, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
What does it tell you?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What does it tell you?
View Quote
It tells them that I am too broke for night vision since I don’t have an IR laser on the top rail.

That and I shoot without gloves.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing wrong with people wanting to customize their firearm as they want to with their own hard earned money.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It tells them that I am too broke for night vision since I don’t have an IR laser on the top rail.

View Quote
It tells me you shoot without gloves and don't need the rail space.

But apparently it tells him something about your character or something. I dunno.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Oof don’t do it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#30]
NV delete.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with people wanting to customize their firearm as they want to with their own hard earned money.
Quoted:

It tells me you shoot without gloves and don't need the rail space.

But apparently it tells him something about your character or something. I dunno.
smh I've no idea what he's on. I run a quad rail and keep all of them covered with those ladders, I don't need to cheesegrate my hand when I wake up to a bump at 3am. Rail covers are comfy, and the gun looks better with them IMO.

OP, just hit it up with a black paint pen. They're usually fine tipped so it'll help you get down in there. If you do coat the gas block like you mentioned earlier, be sure that you don't coat the inside of any of it including the roll pin hole or you (or your smith) may be in for a whole lot of swearing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
kindergarden response. leave that shit in GD.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I usually do a two step coat on my rifles anyway; the first as separate components, the second with upper completely assembled.  This helps "seal" gas block in place, and also creates a paint ramp around it so it can't slip out of place.  I literally have to strip all finish forward of block to remove it.  I usually coat the bbl nut (as well as inside the rail) as this tightens up the fit with MI rails nicely.  I'm using KG Gun Kote here.  I do the rails separately and then install them later.  What does this have to do with you.

In your case, you might consider modifying my technique.  You could coat everything (except bbl nut) and assemble as usual.  Then install rail, and do second coating, covering all exposed areas of nut this time.  This would do what you want without fucking up the fit.

As a general observation, I find it odd that all these companies are making mil-spec accessories with these gay-assed anodized, shiny finishes.  Just me I guess, but I prefer a flat, tactical finish.  I loves me some Geisssele goodness, but I will coat that shit down every time.  Of course arfcom, and all mileages may vary.

General observation #2, I think guys have become lax in personal camo because it's lost a lot of significance in typical urban combat as of late.  But if we return to dismounted warfare in forests, jungles, mountains, etc. it will once again become important.

And finally, this is arfcom, so do whatever the fuck you want with finish, just don't fuck with fit!
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I am a machinist for 20 years and Cerakote all things that I can. If it is done right, there should be no issues. The optimal coating should be around .001 thick but with a coating on each side would add up to .002" thick total which could make something not fit. If you can fit a piece of copy paper in the area of that you are looking at, then that is around .0038" thick which it could be tight.

I don't have the rail that you mention so I can't be 100%.

I personally would coat it, if it doesn't fit then bead blast it to get it to it's satin finish if it is stainless. If it steel you, want to have someone black oxide the nut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top