Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2018 12:02:06 PM EDT
I have enough extra 10/22 parts lying around that with a receiver (Brownell's has one on sale) and a barrel I can put together a 10/22.  Apparently it's not just AR-15s where enough spare parts will eventually spontaneously produce a new rifle

I want to build up a very accurate squirrel rifle.  Initially I was thinking 0.920" bull barrel would be the way to go.  Then I looked at the weight.  One thing I've always liked about squirrel hunting with a regular 10/22 was the easy of carry.  A bull barrel 10/22 is on par with some centerfire rifles.

Tactical Solutions makes an X-Ring bull barrel that is 6061 Aluminum with a steel insert and saves 2 lbs over an all steel bull barrel.  Anyone have any experience with these barrels?

Are they as accurate as an all steel bull barrel, at least for short strings of fire?  I'm guessing the heavy, steel bull barrel holds an advantage in thermal mass, and is less susceptible to shifts due to heat from long strings of fire.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My x ring complete rifle is extremely accurate with cci standard.  The barrel is so light weight you will almost smack your self with it the first time you pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got one that I use for local steel matches and have had it probably close to a decade with no problems. Never really put it on paper other than to sight it in so I can’t tell you how accurate it is other than it works great for me.

I’ve sold and shot quite a bit of their stuff and find it to generally be solid stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a good barrel if your looking to save weight. I use mine also for steel competitions. When I sighted it in I wasn’t impressed with the precision but I was also using a red dot.

I also have a Volquartsen aluminum sleeved barrel. It is set up for CMP Rimfire Sporter with a 2x7 scope. Precision is outstanding.

I have another rifle I recently built with a ER Shaw tapered sporter barrel. So far precision looks really good. I need to test it at longer range before I can really say how good it is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Really happy with my X-ring - no hard data, but shoots well and is amazingly light.  Threaded too...
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Whistle Pig Barrels also. Their Acculite barrel shoots lights out on my friends 10/22, more accurate than the X-Ring he had previously.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Kidd light weight or ultra light weight.  The tenon and breech face isn't aluminum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top